Taller riders and your rearsets......

noupf

I'm looking for ideas from some of the taller riders out there in regards to positioning for aftermarket rearsets. For the record, I do not have them yet, but I am really trying to figure out what the best postion is and why. Higher, lower, foward, back and combinitions there of. I'm 6'3" and just trying to figure out what works best for taller riders vs. stock postions on oem rearsets. What have you found that works for you and why?

Thanks

dj life

I'm 6'3" and I have them set all the way up and back so it pitches me forward over the tank. It took a little bit to get used to but now when I'm on someone else's bike it feels weird. It really is a personal preference thing,but I would bring them up not down so you don't start dragging hard parts. What I would do is put them on but not tighten them down and try them in a few different spots and see which one is a good compromise between clearance and comfort. Hope that helps :)

Chris

Edit: try them loose NOT riding the bike... Lock them down before you ride :)

fitz

The problem with being a big guy on a small bike is being all cramped up. If you look at the little guys on the track they look much more natural and comfortable on their bike. (That is until they stop and their little feet can't touch the ground.) :D

So I find it better to do what I can with rear sets and clip-ons to streatch the body out as much as possible, making it easier to get lower on the bike.

fitz

avizpls

#11-A
I ended up making a whole new rear subframe assy and molded a fiberglass seat pan to move the whole tail section back a few inches. Stock rearsets, but made brackets to have the pegs moved up and back about an inch too (but not adding to the width of the bike like some aftermarket peg repositioning mount do)

Im 6'3" too......it sucked last year, now im waaaay more comfortable. Do whatever it takes to make the bike fit!

Landshark

Control Rider
Curious.. what bike are you on?
My general rule is a compromise of what gives me the best leverage on the pegs and how low I can set them without sacrificing clearance at full lean.

Also set them back as far as you can because if not you'll end up humping the tank, which makes it very hard to not twist.

noupf

Landshark;191372 wrote: Curious.. what bike are you on?
My general rule is a compromise of what gives me the best leverage on the pegs and how low I can set them without sacrificing clearance at full lean.

Also set them back as far as you can because if not you'll end up humping the tank, which makes it very hard to not twist.
Currently on an 07' 1000rr, but getting an 06-07' gsxr 600 or 750 for the track.

My thinking was kind of along your lines of thought. To me, lower and farther back would make the most sense, seeing that the point would be to become as less cramped on the bike as possible and try to keep good leverage. However, my fear is that in the process, i would lower the pegs too much and start grinding them on the track and possibly leading to a crash. So thats why i was curious what some of the taller rider have found as the best comprimise.

Terminex

+1 on the bike

The bike makes a huge difference as the peg locations seem to change from one bike to the next.

I'm 6'5"

on my 08 CBR1000RR I needed to move the pegs as far back as possible, and up a couple.

on my 09 Ducati 1198 I simply needed to move them up a little, as they are already WAAAAAAAAAY back compared to the CBR.

Landshark

Control Rider
noupf;191397 wrote: Currently on an 07' 1000rr, but getting an 06-07' gsxr 600 or 750 for the track.

My thinking was kind of along your lines of thought. To me, lower and farther back would make the most sense, seeing that the point would be to become as less cramped on the bike as possible and try to keep good leverage. However, my fear is that in the process, i would lower the pegs too much and start grinding them on the track and possibly leading to a crash. So thats why i was curious what some of the taller rider have found as the best comprimise.
You'll drag a toe first before a peg.
I now need to ask about your weight. Most stock bikes are not set up for a rider 200+ lbs. I think you are starting to see the progression of how mods become one after another. I would set the suspension up first. Rear sets if you can't fit properly and clip-ons to match ergo setup.

That just gets the bike ridable for the track. Now consider the factory flaws. GSXR master cylinders. Only 1-20 actually work well. GSXR calipers up to 2011 all can be swapped for Yamaha calipers. Stock they cause pad drag. 06-07 GSXR geometry. The entire bike needs a lift. Some washers for the back and slide the tubes down in the front.

I have owned both of these bikes. If you need any assistance with setting them up I'll offer what I can. I'm 6'0" and 220lbs. Height wise I fit but weight wise .... not so much.

Terminex

Landshark;191406 wrote: You'll drag a toe first before a peg.
I now need to ask about your weight. Most stock bikes are not set up for a rider 200+ lbs. I think you are starting to see the progression of how mods become one after another. I would set the suspension up first. Rear sets if you can't fit properly and clip-ons to match ergo setup.

That just gets the bike ridable for the track. Now consider the factory flaws. GSXR master cylinders. Only 1-20 actually work well. GSXR calipers up to 2011 all can be swapped for Yamaha calipers. Stock they cause pad drag. 06-07 GSXR geometry. The entire bike needs a lift. Some washers for the back and slide the tubes down in the front.
+1

the reason I installed a jack up kit in rear of my bike was to give more peg ground clearance. What Landshark said is absolutely true. I was grinding my toe sliders like crazy at the end of last season.

Installing the jack up kit raised the seat about an inch, meaning I could then raise the pegs up higher. (when I tried to raise the pegs up any higher before, my calves would keep my butt from touching the seat as the backs of my thighs were on my calves.

I did the jack up kit at the same tie that I did the Ohlins TTX in the rear & NIX 30MM kit up front.

I would suggest making sure that your suspension is setup the best it can be for right now, and ensure that you have propery body position when riding before doing anything drastic. (not questioning it, just reminding)

cheers

noupf

Landshark;191406 wrote: You'll drag a toe first before a peg.

I have owned both of these bikes. If you need any assistance with setting them up I'll offer what I can. I'm 6'0" and 220lbs. Height wise I fit but weight wise .... not so much.
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

As for me, i'm 6'3 and about 225lbs. I had Mark ( from markbilt ) set the stock suspension on my 1000rr last season and man did it ever make a difference. When I get the gsxr for the track, I plan on doing the same. I am not in a position to dump thousands on suspension components yet, but i will have the stock stuff dialed in more so for my weight. Plus as mentioned above.....getting better body position is what I am still working on.

Landshark, thanks for offering up the assistance when the time comes. I'll be contacting you down the road. I hope to have the bike in the next month or two as I will not be able to get back to the track till late july. I'll look to swap out the calipers as mentioned and raise the bike as well.

As for the master cyliner issues, can other master cyclinders from other bikes be swapped out and used or do i need to go the route of aftermaret higher end brand?