Tear Off's

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
HondaGalToo;175658 wrote: Interesting. Too bad the dark shields don't have the posts. I've lost more than a few shields to oil spray...
I agree, I wouldn't tear them off on the track, but in the pits is fine. :)
Hey Judy,

I read this and though to myself, "Self....didn't the dark shield you had for your Matsudo Cobra Corsair have posts? Self.....do some research and verify, then post if you find good info for your Amiga (Don't speak Spanish much..but I think that's the female version of Friend)."

Sure enough....

http://theservicepavilion.com/rx7-corsair-dark-tint-race-shiel7.html

If you're interested.

BTW...I've seen people tear them off in races on TV and I've followed people who have ripped one off during a session...they're not a hazard. They're clear and the air flow pretty much throws them away and straight down. The fact that technically you're breaking the local laws against littering is probably more of a concern.

That being said, the only time I'd ever litter by discarding the tear off at speed during a session would be in the case where my vision is impaired by severe bug death impairing my ability to see.

Now you wanna talk about something that's a hazard to the guy or gal riding behind you? Let's talk getting smacked by a knee puck that comes loose at full speed on the straight at Summit Main. Happened to me last year...that stings a bit.

Saw it break loose and start to bounce..thought to myself, "Self....there's no way it's going to hit you....No wait...that damned thing is coming straight for your dumb luck ass...Yep...brace for impact...BANG! Right shoulder smacked."

Then it was kind of funny when following the rider he or she discovered the puck was gone...you could just read "WTF????" in the Body English.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
jimgl3;175659 wrote: oil spray? sounds like someone needs some safety wire?
Nope, it was due to blown engines all three times it happened, IIFC. Nothing the operators could have done, it wasn't a loose oil plug or filter. I just tend to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, LOL!!!!

Thanks for the info on the "posted" dark shields, D-ZUM!! Although I shop at the Service Pavilion, I missed that. I hear ya on the littering, that would really be my main concern, too. I got hit in the arm with what I think was a bar-end once. Left a nice round dark bruise on my upper arm. I was glad it didn't hit my head or windscreen, so it made it laughable. Shit happens. Suzukis tend to spit out bar ends. Another good reason to have clip-ons.

michicago

HondaGalToo;175678 wrote: Nope, it was due to blown engines all three times it happened, IIFC. Nothing the operators could have done, it wasn't a loose oil plug or filter. I just tend to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, LOL!!!!

Thanks for the info on the "posted" dark shields, D-ZUM!! Although I shop at the Service Pavilion, I missed that. I hear ya on the littering, that would really be my main concern, too. I got hit in the arm with what I think was a bar-end once. Left a nice round dark bruise on my upper arm. I was glad it didn't hit my head or windscreen, so it made it laughable. Shit happens. Suzukis tend to spit out bar ends. Another good reason to have clip-ons.
Note to self: Do not ride in front of Judy, your engine will explode!

You're not going to Barber in a few weeks, are ya? I can't really afford a full tear-down and rebuild right now. :)

BigKid

I use tear offs on my arias BUT, I cut the tear off tab off and use a little clear tape in the corners to make sure they don't un-attach themselves. I replace the tear offs a couple times a year and my face shields NEVER because they are always nice and scratch free because I clean the tear offs between each session and the face shield is always protected.

The key here is CUT the tear off flap completely off and use a little tape to make sure everyone knows you are not going to tear them off.