Technique questions for the masters

z064life

avizpls;283734 wrote: Got it. On to the turning: clearly we can both ride well enough to make it around the track. I think what we have is semantics regarding the terms "turn" and "lean". I was just poking fun when I said the apex is where you are done turning. Truly, if you break it down (as naturally an engineer would) you can point out that you are still leaning and therefore still turning at the apex (even an apex with an ambiguous definition). So in that manner, I concede. My initial post was an attempt at humor and as is often the case, important details are sacrificed for the sake of humor. Maybe it wasn't even funny.

When questions like these come up, its very hard to sum all corners up into one technique. The method you describe (back on the gas once lean angle is set) is good for a kink, or something where the speed doesn't change all THAT much. A full-on legit park-n-turn like most T1's will be easier to address using the methods brought up here. That is: body, brake, turn in, throttle roll-on, stand up n go. In there with the braking step is the downshifting as well. as others have said, the faster you go the more it all blurs together.
Ok..lets take T1 at Atlanta...you come down the straight on the left (I'm on an almost stock gearing R1) so I hit 4th, downshift and brake to 3rd at my marker I "cheat the turn" a little by starting to turn or point towards the turn early and then at my actual turn in point I lay it on it's side. The apex of T1 is around the start of that concrete patch. If everything is working, I'm back on the gas before I get there, not hard on it as we are at max lean but on it none the less, then it is steady roll on of the throttle up the hill.

What the technique others descibe I wouldn't touch the throttle until I'm coming out of the corner (post apex). Maybe I'm braking too much earlier and so you guys are still braking/scrubbing speed all the way to the apex?

avizpls

#11-A
z064life;283735 wrote: Maybe I'm braking too much earlier and so you guys are still braking/scrubbing speed all the way to the apex?
this is definitely something I try to do as much as I can, yes. Do you have any videos riding the way you describe? I really think I know what you mean though, and I think its sound advice just phrased differently than most here, or with a different corner style in mind.

If you replace "on the throttle" with "accelerating" would all of your statements still be true? I ask because in a sense I AM on the throttle the whole way thru the turn....because if I weren't then I might as well be on the brakes with engine braking. But as I try to put things in words, I consider this to be before "rolling on" and thus is gets excluded from the period where you understand me to be on the gas.

In many places there can certainly be what we could call "maintenance throttle" meaning to apply small throttle opening to maintain speed either through a long constant radius, OR when too much speed has been braked away at some point prior to where you would start to actually accelerate out of the corner(the lack of trail braking you mention). Its at this pojnt of acceleration that I am referring to as rolling on.

As I have not made it to RA yet, I needed to watch some 'tube to see it. T1 is somewhere where I think I would be maintaining some before I really rolled on. So I really think I see what you mean. In those types of corners, yes.

z064life

avizpls;283747 wrote: this is definitely something I try to do as much as I can, yes. Do you have any videos riding the way you describe? I really think I know what you mean though, and I think its sound advice just phrased differently than most here, or with a different corner style in mind.

If you replace "on the throttle" with "accelerating" would all of your statements still be true? I ask because in a sense I AM on the throttle the whole way thru the turn....because if I weren't then I might as well be on the brakes with engine braking. But as I try to put things in words, I consider this to be before "rolling on" and thus is gets excluded from the period where you understand me to be on the gas.

In many places there can certainly be what we could call "maintenance throttle" meaning to apply small throttle opening to maintain speed either through a long constant radius, OR when too much speed has been braked away at some point prior to where you would start to actually accelerate out of the corner(the lack of trail braking you mention). Its at this pojnt of acceleration that I am referring to as rolling on.

As I have not made it to RA yet, I needed to watch some 'tube to see it. T1 is somewhere where I think I would be maintaining some before I really rolled on. So I really think I see what you mean. In those types of corners, yes.
"on the throttle" equals a smooth roll on of the throttle so you are picking up some speed, but not rapidly.

As to your "long" constant radius turn, once your bike is leaned and on line short of tire grip, I thought the bike will stay on that line regardless of acceleration. Maintenance throttle is used so you don't cross the threshold of tire grip other than that it is either you are accelerating or braking. So I guess in the long sweeping corner I could see maintenance throttle due to tires, but other than that I don't think maintenance throttle should be used Ideally. Personally yes I use maintenance throttle but I've been guilting of coasting in spots too (that's why I don't own any track records LOL).