Thanks and update

barry38

As Steve outlined in the other post here I was involved in an accident Monday night while out on a training ride. I was 53 miles into a 55 mile ride when a car t-boned me when she made a left turn onto the side street I was passing. I saw the car turn and the only thing I had time to think was this is it, I'm dead. I remember the impact and then being on the ground. An off duty paramedic was there asking me questions. I could hear him talking and I could think the answers, just couldn't get the words out. Paramedics and ambulance arrivied shortly after.

As DJ said, I've got two broken collar bones, nice clean breaks, should need no surgery. Hurts like no pain i've ever felt before. Got a couple broken and bruised ribs. Left foot is badly bruised, will probabaly lose my big toe nail. Bad lacerations on my left thigh, got about 30 staples and 20 sticthes there. Very deep tear on my stomach. About 4" wide and 3" deep. Had to have that one closed in the operating room. The transverse process on the C7 vertabrae is broke. And last but not least I've got double vision.

All things considered I'm very very lucky. None of these issues will be permanent. I'm hoping to be back on two wheels in about 8 weeks. The girl who hit me did stop, and she came by the hospital yesterday to check on me and apologize. I accepted her apology.

I will check in with the people at LIVESTRONG to see what my options are. To say that I'm dissapointed that I won't get to ride this year is a gross understatement.

I want to personally that everyone out there for your thoughts and prayers. I plan on coming to Thunderbolt on the 25th whether I can ride or not. So I'll see you all soon!

And if someone can explain to me how to post pics, I'll put some up here.

sportbikerchic

Barry, good to hear from ya! All things considered, I'm really glad you're going to heal up as quickly and as well as you say!

To post pics, they have to first be somewhere on the web, then you click the little photo icon and put the photo's web address in there. You can upload to something like photobucket to host the pictures, or if you want you can email them to me and I'll host them for ya.

Take care of yourself!

Matt H

Wow Barry. I'm so very sad to hear that this happened, but glad for you for the possible full recovery given your prognosis. Heal up quick! You will be missed out there until you are back, and you will be in our thoughts for your recovery.

Drewbie

Thanks for posting Barry.. have not stopped thinking about you all day. Im just glad nothing more serious happened. Heal up man...
Oh, check your pm's.
Drew

Dave561

Control Rider
Good to see you on here. Wish you posting under better circumstances. Definitely take it easy and heal up quick

NoBull

Wow, I missed the other post. This is the first I hear of it. I'm very sorry to hear this, but glad you will make a full recovery. As you say, it could have been A LOT worse. Speedy recovery.

On that same note, be sure you don't take a quick pay off from her insurance company and sign your rights away (unless they offer you a million bucks :) ). You never know what lingering problems may show up in 6 months from now (back pain, leg pain, double vision etc.).

Finn

Chris K

Finn makes a real good point about the insurance Barry. But let's shoot for a full recovery ASAP!

Heal up quick and we'll see you at NJMP on the 25th!

Barry:

Glad your injuries aren't as bad as they could be considering the circumstances. Also glad to hear the girl who ran you down came and apologized. That's not common in today's society.

Anyway, have a speedy recovery and hope to see you at NJMSP or DMS! Whichever comes first.

How long you going to have to stay at Kent General?

Dan Nelson

1literduceater

barry38;3226 wrote: Very deep tear on my stomach. About 4" wide and 3" deep. Had to have that one closed in the operating room.
Barry you are WAY too skinny to have a 3" deep cut! ;) Here is to a speedy recovery! I am sure we will see you out there real soon.

Katie785

I Cant even imagine the pain that you are in - You're strong and I know you'll be okay!!

We are thinking of you...

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Barry,

Sorry to hear this, fast and full recovery and if there is anything we can do, let us know.

Oldmxer281

Control Rider
Sorry and worried!

Sorry to hear about your accident Barry and wish you a speedy recovery. I'm a little worried about the double vision though because now you'll be seeing twice that I'm not hanging off enough! Anything I can do just let me know.

Leitner559

Control Rider
Breath easy and heal good, Barry. So sorry to hear this news. You and Susan are a few of the coolest characters in the paddock and my family wishes you the best.

vanbreezy

Sorry to hear the news Barry. I did respond to the other post and I'm glad to hear this from you as opposed to 2nd hand information. Glad you're able to post to hear you're on the road to recovery. Heal up soon and see you at the track. BE WELL.