The 2013-2014 offseason

ericlouie1

So what are everybodys plans for their bikes, gear, trailers, fitness, yada yada yada.....Figured its about appropriate tiem to start, since most of the MA is done with trackdays for the year.
I got quite alist for the winter-
-Full chassis service, bearing inspection, need a new chain and sprocket, i don't want my sproket to fly apart like daves, and its looking pretty ugly.
Trailer wiring for 120v, plus lights, finishing the insulation, cabinets, and improve storage overall. Got some great ideas from wandering the pits.
Full leather cleaning, inside and out, any tips on this, I found this article which i'll use for my gloves, figure its about the same process for the suit.

Held Glove Care

Here is a discussion about how to care for your Held gloves. This information was provided by the folks that distribute Held gloves in the USA:

When you ride, all of the sweat, along with the oils, acids and salts contained in your sweat will soak into the leather. After a while this built up sweat contamination may cause the leather to fail prematurely. You should wash your gloves with soap and water to remove this sweat build up.

After riding, let your gloves breathe and dry out. Do not store them in a closed container, jacket pocket, helmet or tank bag.

Held recommends washing and conditioning gloves at least once a year. And more often if you sweat heavy, ride in a hot climate, notice salt rings (white stains) or discoloration from repeatedly being soaked with sweat, if the leather gets hard or stiff, or if you begin to notice a smell from the gloves.

And here is how to do it!

Rinse the gloves with clean water (do not use high pressure). You may also soak the gloves for awhile in clear water to loosen up and draw the sweat out of the gloves.
Wash the inside of the gloves with soap and water. Dilute soap in the water; do not apply soap concentrate directly into gloves. Regular antibacterial liquid hand soap works well. Allow the gloves to soak in the soapy water.
Using your hands, work the inside surfaces of the gloves. Rinse and repeat as needed until you are satisfied that the gloves are clean. Rinse the gloves thoroughly.
Use your fingers and hands, starting at the finger tips and working down, press or squeeze the water out of the gloves. Do not twist or wring the gloves when wet; this may distort the shape and fit of the gloves.
For gloves with Kevlar or padding, you may want to place a small folded towel in the gloves and press the water out of those areas.
Allow the gloves to dry slowly. Do not place in direct sunlight or expose to high heat. Lying in front of a fan in the garage is a good place.
Just before the gloves are completely dry, put the gloves on and shape them to your hand while damp. Remove the gloves, trying to keep this hand shape in the gloves. Allow to continue drying.
After the gloves are completely dry, apply a good quality leather conditioner. This is important because properly treated and conditioned (oiled) leather will breathe and the internal micro fibers will move freely in the leather. Use a good quality leather conditioner that will allow the leather to breathe. Apply conditioner generously and rub into the leather. Allow the conditioner to soak into the gloves and reapply (you can do this in the sun).
Wipe off any excess conditioner and make sure the gloves are not slick on the motorcycle controls.

Thats it for me for now, I'll post pics of the trailer as I complete it.

devildogae

Good info, I'm real interested in cleaning my leather suit, guy I bought it from left it smelling like stale smoke.

Ruhe52

If you have a front end load washer. Take liner and all armor out of the suit. Zip and zippers up. Put it in the washer and add 1/2 of white vinegar no soap.
Delicate wash. When done remove and hang over a large bin in garage when it is just dripping from legs start applying leather conditioner and keep doing it over and over until suit dries. Leathers will be clean and supple. Had a set of MX1s that finally died after seven years of care like this.

But the season is not over damn it. 2 more events in the SE

Motofun352

Control Rider
I'm usually big on do-it-yourself...however, the last 2 years I had Barnacle Bill wash my suit...was worth it.

matt2212

Motofun352;292045 wrote: I'm usually big on do-it-yourself...however, the last 2 years I had Barnacle Bill wash my suit...was worth it.
X2

He usually has a $40 winter special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

andykurz

Eric, if you want to come over sometime to check out my 120V installation, let me know. There are some things I like, some I would do differently. If you've finalized a plan already, carry on!

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I'm planning on building myself a bike. So far I have Brembo HP calipers, now I just need to buy the bike to intall them onto :D

Gotta have someone look/listen to my transmission. It's making an odd, rhythmic sound. I don't suppose a 2008 CBR1kRR transmission is something a jack-leg plumber like me should mess with. . .

FWIW, anyone who might be in the RVA who can make an appraisal, get in touch with me. Thanks!

devildogae

Motofun352;292045 wrote: I'm usually big on do-it-yourself...however, the last 2 years I had Barnacle Bill wash my suit...was worth it.
Barnacle Bill? How can I reach him about a cleaning?

TLRSKUNK

My 750 is getting a full refresh and repaint this winter. also getting Ak-20's and the rear elka rebuilt/re-valved. Motor is getting refreshed. all new chassis bearings and fresh powder coat on frame, swing arm sub frame. new rear sets. decide on brakes. basically a full rebuild. 2 years of beating on it I think it deserves it.

The r1 needs a spare tank for track days. and some stuff drilled and safety wired. but it just hit 3000 miles so nothing crazy major. may re grease steering stem bearings and re torque to spec.

The Mille-R needs suspension re-done(rear shock mainly) but since it's not getting ridden near as much it's on the bottom list of stuff to mess with this winter.

also need to pick up an enclosed trailer this spring. winter sucks.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Lets see

Bitch about how long the schedule takes to come out
Bitch about the cold weather
Bitch about how far away the Barber date in March/April is
Bitch about my gut and then have another dose of mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving/Xmas
Try on my new leathers and boots, sit on my bike and make engine noises

I am sure I am missing a few things...

rk97

Evil Cupcake;292331 wrote: Weight and endurance training schedule so I can run with a few guys in a WERA Endurance race team next season.
I have only done one endurance race, but it was an awesome experience. Definitely worth training for.

My concern was that I would get tired after 10 laps of hard riding, and slowly fall off my normal pace. What actually happened was that I fell into a pretty good rhythm and set personal bests multiple laps in a row, and in my second stint on the bike, did 15 or so laps within .3 seconds

It was grueling, but totally worth it. We don't need to talk about the part where my 11-yr-old teammate went faster than me on my bike (which he'd never ridden before practice), but the rest of it was really fun!