The best bang for the buck 600cc bike...

Pilot2

If you were going to buy an entry level, +- $1500.00, 600cc bike for the track, which make/model would you choose and why?

ama146

i'm not sure you will be able to find a track bike for anywhere close to $1500 that isn't stolen or missing the motor

madriders86

ama146;231851 wrote: i'm not sure you will be able to find a track bike for anywhere close to $1500 that isn't stolen or missing the motor
You are 100% incorrect :D

I would go with an SV650, no doubt. If you are dead set on a 600, I would look into an older CBR600 (F2 or F3) or R6. Faster than the sv, but probably less aftermarket.

Gorecki

ama146;231851 wrote: i'm not sure you will be able to find a track bike for anywhere close to $1500 that isn't stolen or missing the motor
Naaaaa, not true! That's exactly what I paid for mine! May not be the latest and greatest but it'll still smoke an SV hand's down! :saythat:

Seriously, just gotta keep your eyes open and be patient, maybe willing to travel a little ways. Keep an eye out on the classifieds here, over at wera. I wouldn't even bother with the craigs black hole, but that's me. ;)

cooker1

Gorecki;231854 wrote: Naaaaa, not true! That's exactly what I paid for mine! May not be the latest and greatest but it'll still smoke an SV hand's down! :saythat:

Seriously, just gotta keep your eyes open and be patient, maybe willing to travel a little ways. Keep an eye out on the classifieds here, over at wera. I wouldn't even bother with the craigs black hole, but that's me. ;)
REALLY ? You might smoke the SV on the straights but I if I'm on on your ass goin into a corner you are mine !!!! I don't know why people think SVs are slow ? We know we dont have the advantage of HP but we know we have a weight to HP advantage so coming into that corner when the little SV with a capable rider (like myself ) passes you (oh yeah you get mad ) just accept it the SV riders can go in hotter and pass your ASS everytime on the brakes and power out with the torque ! But in the end HP gets us everytime so give a little RESPECT we deserve it !!!! I eat 600s , 750s and litre bikes on my little SV , it's not always the bike it has a lot to do with who is in control of the throttle and how big your balls or ovaries are !!!!!!

dlockhart5x

No need to get worked up Dave. If you want to ride and want to spend limited $ it is hard to beat a SV. They save you huge $s on tires, and even gas. My brothers SV sips fuel compared to the 6R i am racing in a few classes. He even won a bunch of races on a SV he bought for under $1500. You can learn a lot of skills and do it cheaply

A saying from the nesba board many years ago...

ride the smallest bike your ego will allow

Gorecki

Ummmm, yeah....wow Dave, getting just a little excited? :notsure:

To clarify my statements for the benefit of those to seem to get just a wee bit defensive of their favorite twin. My someone smartass remark (which is something I almost never do) was actually directed at madrider as I had made a relative comment to him earlier in the day elsewhere, so it was tongue in cheek. Certainly I didn’t make that clear!

Second, the SV is a highly recommended machine, especially if someone wants to race and doesn’t want to do so in the middleweight meat grinder classes. As it has been put to me, over all it’s a little cheaper on fuel, tires and is generally more forgiving on the throttle than its near I4 relatives. BUT unless you get one already dressed for the party, the suspension falls a little short but that can be readily resolved with the multitude of GSXR parts from squid wrecks.

The reasons *I* went with a 600 I4
The collectively greatest single choice I could learn the most from for the money!
A track bike relative to my street bike (little did I realize how very far apart they are).
Not directly related but in my efforts I wanted the most race bits I could get.

My level of riding on the track is such that frankly any halfway decent rider on an SV (hell, a 2fitty) could smoke my ass in a heartbeat, but I have the tools in hand to evolve beyond that and not be held back by the bike being too forgiving when the time comes. Yes, I like learning things the hard way!

cooker1

Sorry everyone I get a little carried away after a few beers actually last night was quite a few ! I live about 100yards from a great biker bar ( all bikes ) its a wonder I dont get a Walking Under the Influence ticket sometimes !!

fitz

LOL, Good! Nothing better than a good ol debate on who's bike is faster during these dull winter months. I was just about ready to msg Blueninga to come back cause it's been so boring here.
:saythat:

Anyway Dave I think the main purpose of an SV650 on the track is so I can have the illusion that I'm at least faster than somebody, you guys do a good job of stroking my ego, and for that I say THANK YOU! Keep it it up. I think EVERYONE should buy an SV650. :D

All kidding aside most all of us feel as if we are standing still sometimes, ever get passed by one of those BMWs? OMG :wow:

fitz

cooker1

fitz;231896 wrote: LOL, Good! Nothing better than a good ol debate on who's bike is faster during these dull winter months. I was just about ready to msg Blueninga to come back cause it's been so boring here.
:saythat:

Anyway Dave I think the main purpose of an SV650 on the track is so I can have the illusion that I'm at least faster than somebody, you guys do a good job of stroking my ego, and for that I say THANK YOU! Keep it it up. I think EVERYONE should buy an SV650. :D

All kidding aside most all of us feel as if we are standing still sometimes, ever get passed by one of those BMWs? OMG :wow:

fitz
OH YEAH a couple times did'nt even see it LOL!

rk97

Best bang-for-buck bikes are probably the first gen SV, Honda F2/3 or mid 90's zx6.

My F2 was purchased for $1250 with stainless brake lines, a Penske shock, cartridge emulators, un-crashed bodywork, and woodcraft rearsets. I think it had a 2 bros pipe as well.

I rode that bike into "I" group and rarely felt like it was the bike's fault when I was passed. After a year, I sold the F2 for more than I paid for it. Great bang for the buck. My only regret is that I didn't keep it longer.

Gorecki

cooker1;231894 wrote: Sorry everyone I get a little carried away after a few beers actually last night was quite a few ! I live about 100yards from a great biker bar ( all bikes ) its a wonder I dont get a Walking Under the Influence ticket sometimes !!
LOL, I wanted to say that smelled like a liquor post, but didn't want to assume! :D

Well, I'll say one thing about all of us, we're passionate about what we do! :cool:

I sort of feel like saying "get the brand/model that is cheapest to get spare parts for." You're gonna have some bumps and bruises out there.

Matt

to just answer the question,

F4 / F4i, 99-02 R6, 01-03 GSXR 600 are your most likely candidates.

if you can find a zx6 of the 636 variety it's by far the best of that era IMO.

cooker1

Matt;232002 wrote: to just answer the question,

F4 / F4i, 99-02 R6, 01-03 GSXR 600 are your most likely candidates.

if you can find a zx6 of the 636 variety it's by far the best of that era IMO.
You're just prejudice against SVs !!!!!! LOL

madriders86

cooker1;231880 wrote: REALLY ? You might smoke the SV on the straights but I if I'm on on your ass goin into a corner you are mine !!!! I don't know why people think SVs are slow ? We know we dont have the advantage of HP but we know we have a weight to HP advantage so coming into that corner when the little SV with a capable rider (like myself ) passes you (oh yeah you get mad ) just accept it the SV riders can go in hotter and pass your ASS everytime on the brakes and power out with the torque ! But in the end HP gets us everytime so give a little RESPECT we deserve it !!!! I eat 600s , 750s and litre bikes on my little SV , it's not always the bike it has a lot to do with who is in control of the throttle and how big your balls or ovaries are !!!!!!
A couple of things here:
The sv does not have a HP to weight advantage
They aren't that much lighter
They are not more capable going into the corners than a current-ish generation i4 600. The modern suspension and chassis on those bikes wins out easily in that department.

The supersports are better in every way, its just that for most of us, it doesnt really matter. The rider is the greatest common denominator.

LesPow

Control Rider
cooker1;231880 wrote: REALLY ? You might smoke the SV on the straights but I if I'm on on your ass goin into a corner you are mine !!!! I don't know why people think SVs are slow ? We know we dont have the advantage of HP but we know we have a weight to HP advantage so coming into that corner when the little SV with a capable rider (like myself ) passes you (oh yeah you get mad ) just accept it the SV riders can go in hotter and pass your ASS everytime on the brakes and power out with the torque ! But in the end HP gets us everytime so give a little RESPECT we deserve it !!!! I eat 600s , 750s and litre bikes on my little SV , it's not always the bike it has a lot to do with who is in control of the throttle and how big your balls or ovaries are !!!!!!
HAHAHAHA!! Tell them why you mad, son. "RESPECT".