The BreakDown: Getting your little, (real little ones) riding

CBRtist

I have been getting, and especially recently, inquiries about how I got Ria into riding. Of course Mini GP information is available if you actively seek it out (as I did when she was ready), but there wasn't much info about pre-Mini GP. Also, I've noticed we don't have a lot of small children getting into riding in our organization (something I'd like to change since we are awesome and could build a league of subhuman super fast racers :laugh:). So I'm going to lay out a initial comprehensive guide based on what I did, from a Mom's POV for those interested:

0-1 years old
Throw them in a playpen under the canopy at the track in all temperatures and have them watch and wave to motorcycles passing. Yes, you can raise a baby at the track.

1-2 years old
Put them on everything with 2-wheels simulating a motorcycle. Probably not my safest mommy moment, but we had a plastic pink Ninja motorcycle and in declined long driveway. Bike helmet and knee pads on, her dad would launch her down one end and I'd catch her at the end. At 18 months, she knew how to turn on, start up a sport bike, and turn it off.

2-3 years old
Get on of those battery dirt bikes with training wheels and throw them on it. Start incorporating gear.

3-6 years old
Real dirt bike with those big training wheels. Start having them get comfy with controls and what they do. At 3 Ria was giving me rides to the bathroom in the paddock and knew how to stop on a dime and put it in neutral. In fact, Mr. Sink gave her a blue sticker (though he may not recall 5 years ago) for coming to a dead stop in front of him. Note: USE A GOVERNOR. It caused me to avoid many, many heart attacks.

Throw them out on the dirt and abandoned parking lots wherever you can to work on controls, maneuvering and speed differentials.

6-8 years old
Bye-bye training wheels! This is when it gets scary (for me anyway). Work on them with on starting from a stop. Reintroduce controls. Introduce more maneuvering. KEEP THE GOVERNOR ON (back to the heart attack thing, but only in the beginning while they are mastering stuff). Get some cones. Set them up in said abandoned parking lot. You can adopt basic MSF maneuvers to start, then move on to the apex/looking ahead/cool kids track stuff. Of course, said track stuff needs to be put in terms of "Pretend Barbie is waving to you where those trees are!" or "cones like to kiss knees so get that knee out!" or other kid trickery and bribes. Make them aware that crashes DO happen, how to crash, and how to get back on the bike after a crash. Ria recently wiped out in the paddock at Summit recently and said "I started to feel the bike go Mom, so I did a Superman and flew off my bike". Lol... proud moment.

8-up
Mini GP ...and here's where it stops for me because she is 8. She had her first practice race Saturday and LOVED it. Says it's all she wants to do. I was very, VERY impressed with Ryan and is coaches with Mini GP. It's like a mini track day. I was a little surprised, and should have known, there weren't passing rules... but it was fine. There is tons of attention and coaching for the little ones, everybody is mindful and courteous on the track and off, and it was a great experience and I was very relieved. They even rode in the pouring rain and she saw a couple of kids wipe out in her group and was unaffected. Next one is 8/20 at NJMP with our Judy who will be riding in the 100 stock. Come visit and cheer them on! :like:

Gear
This was the toughest (for my area anyway). It was fairly easy to find some basic peewee dirt gear online, but when it came to track gear later, this took some trial and error. Boots and gauntlets could be purchased at a local store. I went to Revzilla for a youth full face helmet and tried a few on. Colors are limited however but... if you get black matte and some paint pens (and clear coat)... they can decorate their OWN helmets! (which she loves to do...).

Leathers you can either pay for custom, hope to find a used youth A-Stars on Ebay (which usually get snapped up), hook up with some parent who has hand-me-downs (still trying to find that parent), or do what I did and purchase from GatorSkinZ http://gatorrimz.com/product/gatorskinz5/. Yes, colors are limited but luckily they had N2 Green ;). Have them wear their gear, all of it, in the sweltering heat. UA and everything. They'll whine but remind them it is what it is and get used to it. This is when you truly find out if they REALLY want to do it before you start throwing real cash (and lots of it) into the machine. This is a good time to use cold washcloths, ice, and spritzers as bribes for good behavior too.

Talking Your S.O. Into This
This wasn't any trouble I had since myself, and her father, both do TDs. But it's a common woe I hear "I really, REALLY want to get them into riding but........................... Mom says no." *insert sad trombone*

To that I am going to say I am often described as overly cautious and conservative (watch me on track lol), I'm a mom, and I teach preschoolers through 5th grade, and I think it is the greatest thing you can get your child into. To quote Tam (Judy's wife and my new life coach) when I questioned putting moonshine cherries into my drink and she looked at me like I was nuts and said "Why WOULDN'T you?????" and I was stunned and admittedly had NO answer lol!!! It was a defining moment for me. Ok, so this isn't cherries but still....

Other than safety, which is a valid concern, but I feel many maximize the minimum when it comes to the dangers of the track. The question is why WOULDN'T YOU?

• It improves gross motor skills initially and fine motor skills later
• It will make them more defensive drivers when they get their driver's license
• They learn to respect motorcycles (no one wants their kid deciding bikes are cool at 16 and throwing themselves on one because they can).
• It enables them to understand mechanics and how things work
• It teaches and reinforces safety and the importance of gear
• It's a great family atmosphere and a sport you can all enjoy together
• It promotes overcoming fears and increasing confidence
• It is social, a community atmosphere, and promotes camaraderie
• It's quirky and kids will either love you or be scared of you :rofl:

I could think of more, but in short, the pros outweigh the cons (which are probably the cursing, but hey... if they don't know they bad words, how do they know what NOT to say?). It's a gift that not many kids get to experience. That's it for now. As I said, I really hope that we can develop a closer relationship with Ryan and Mini GP and encourage more parents to start introducing their children to this great sport at a young age. PM me questions if you have them or have a friend that does. I've learned a lot in the past 8 years!

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Awesome article! My little Alexander is 18 months and he loves sitting on my bike. He also asks to wear my helmet whenever he spies it. I put my bike up on its center stand so he can turn the bars. I'm already showing him about counter steering. It is so cute to hear him say "moanercycle" and "hel-MET!"
image.jpeg

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
My Alex just ditched his training wheels on his bicycle..so the training wheels are coming off his TTR50 very soon as well.
So this may be a possibility....Hmmmmm.....;-)

Beresh21

Great write up! My son Bennett (profile picture) is 2 1/2 now and doing great on his Pw50. Once he is ready to remove his training wheels I will have him on his pocket bike ASAP! Nothing better than watching them progress. Two wheels for life.

CBRtist

My Alex just ditched his training wheels on his bicycle..so the training wheels are coming off his TTR50 very soon as well.
So this may be a possibility....Hmmmmm.....;-)

You might want to hang around for hand-me-downs lol.

CBRtist

Great write up! My son Bennett (profile picture) is 2 1/2 now and doing great on his Pw50. Once he is ready to remove his training wheels I will have him on his pocket bike ASAP! Nothing better than watching them progress. Two wheels for life.

Sound like you're on the right track and earlier!!! Seems like the boys advance quicker, probably because it's a male dominated sport.

What are your opinions on balance bikes? I'm planning on getting one for my son this Christmas which will be about a month before his 2nd birthday.

Beresh21

What are your opinions on balance bikes? I'm planning on getting one for my son this Christmas which will be about a month before his 2nd birthday.

My son is 2 1/2 and loves his. He can totally rip around the garage with his feet up. I personally feel every kid should start out on one of these. Once they master balancing, kids can also completely skip training wheels and head straight for a standard bike. In doing so, the countless falls and skinned knees from learning to ride are greatly (if not completely) reduced. GET ONE!

CBRtist

Ditto to was Beresh21 said.

One of my regrets is that my daughter didn't do a balance bike. I definitely feel like it added time in her progression. I've heard nothing but great things about them!

Any suggestions for after balance bike but before this, beside an electric dirt bike. Not to shoot down the electric bike idea, I just want to weigh all my options.

Attachments

• IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    894.4 KB · Views: 22

CBRtist

Any suggestions for after balance bike but before this, beside an electric dirt bike. Not to shoot down the electric bike idea, I just want to weigh all my options.

hmm. Not aware of other options besides electric bike (with - my preference, or without training wheels). I think it's a good way to familiarize them with something that has power and a logical next step. Then introduce dirt with wheels, then actual dirt. How old is he? Not sure where exactly you are located, but I'm planning on being involved with Ryan@Mini GP and helping with kiddies this season. Feel free to PM me regarding.

He's just a little older than 2. He is not ready for anything with power. I should have clarified, the main reason for asking is so I will have the "next step " ready for him when the time comes. You never know when a good deal might come along. That mini GP sounds like fun, I would love to help with something like that but I probably live too far away, north east TN. If you think I live close enough to be involved let me know. I get a kick out of helping adults learn to ride, kids riding mini GP bikes sounds like a riot.

ekraft84

Nice write up. Only thing I would add is skipping training wheels altogether is entirely possible. My son got a Strider bike on his first birthday and rode it around the house until he was 2-3. From there, we went to a bigger pedal bike without training wheels and he picked it up right away (all he had to learn was how to work the pedals).

By this point, training wheels really just confuse kids IMO - if they haven't had them. We did drills in the driveway with a CRF-50 - braking, turning, etc. - all without the motor running, when he was 5. We then proceeded to start the bike and work on throttle control (with the throttle stop limiting things), back and forth several times - with me in front of him. A gentle push after that and he was off. My brother caught him at the other end of the driveway and the rest is history. Isolating the controls and having kids learn them independently is huge.

Since then, he has proceeded to teach a few other older kids how to ride their bikes, by taking the pedals off. He will still goof around in the garage now in the winter, turning, trying to drag a knee, etc. He did his first OMRL race last summer, against kids twice his age - he got lapped, but had a blast and had a great launch (I didn't teach him anything about that).

Overall, the Strider bikes are worth their weight in gold, IMO. It's incredible to see the balance and natural tendencies that develop starting kids out so young. Makes me a proud (and jealous!) parent all at the same time.

I really like some of the things I saw at NJMP this past year with the minis. Wish we were closer to get him out there for that.

Okay so here's the situation. After much discussion with my wife about bringing Alexander to the track with me, she has a question that I don't have a satisfactory answer to. Who will watch him while I'm on the track? My response was "There are plenty of parents at the track with their own kids in all different classes,so he would never be alone or bored. " That answer wasn't good enough. She is not interested in going with, yes I really tried to talk her into it. The rest of my family is either unwilling or unable. Alexander is 2 years and 2 months at the time I'm writing this. Also is totally calm around running bikes.

D-Zum

Then, in my opinion, your son stays home Mike until either your wife decides to come along, or he's old enough for you to trust him on your own.

You would be going to an event with your fingers crossed someone's willing to watch your son while you participate in a high risk event. Just not smart.
You're leaving your son in the hands of people who are (to him) quite possibly strangers. That's scary for a kid that young. And, if something goes wrong, you're
entrusting SOMEONE there to be responsible for your child until that person gets Alex back home to your wife. Likewise, the persons watching your son might be
in the awkward position of acting as temporary guardians for a child that's not theirs while they get your son back to his Mom.

NONE of this is sound parental judgement, Mike. I'm lucky..I have Amy, an open-minded, willing and helpful partner who enjoys the outings to the track as much as I do, and the people at the track. Without her in my life, I wouldn't have done ANY track days on weekends I have my son. I'd have been able to go when I don't have him. I'm extremely fortunate in that regard, and I know it.

Then, in my opinion, your son stays home Mike until either your wife decides to come along, or he's old enough for you to trust him on your own.

You would be going to an event with your fingers crossed someone's willing to watch your son while you participate in a high risk event. Just not smart.
You're leaving your son in the hands of people who are (to him) quite possibly strangers. That's scary for a kid that young. And, if something goes wrong, you're
entrusting SOMEONE there to be responsible for your child until that person gets Alex back home to your wife. Likewise, the persons watching your son might be
in the awkward position of acting as temporary guardians for a child that's not theirs while they get your son back to his Mom.

NONE of this is sound parental judgement, Mike. I'm lucky..I have Amy, an open-minded, willing and helpful partner who enjoys the outings to the track as much as I do, and the people at the track. Without her in my life, I wouldn't have done ANY track days on weekends I have my son. I'd have been able to go when I don't have him. I'm extremely fortunate in that regard, and I know it.
Darren I don't feel judged by you at all. I appreciate your honesty. I was excited by the thought of being able to bring Alexander to the track and never gave a thought to the
"what ifs". Now that I think about it I was jumping the gun.

D-Zum

I wasn't judging you Mike. You want to share your time and experience with your son. I cannot express enough how much I understand that. But, it's just too soon.

I was more giving you points from varying perspectives to help you understand why it's too soon for Alex to join you at the track.

I'm guessing your Alex isn't fully potty trained, yet. ...Mine wasn't til he was 4, and even then accidents happened. Kids under 5 at the track aren't easy.
Alex's enthusiasm had him under my feet quite a bit, because he desperately wants to be included and participate. And I understand that. But, I was always
worried that enthusiasm would get him hurt, too. I still have to remind him the bike/exhaust is hot and not to touch it when I come in from a session.

Just be patient. Everything comes in time. When Alex is older, he may want to come to the track and your wife may have no option but to come along.
Your contingent consideration may be to find a relative Alex is comfortable with when he reaches that age to come along with you for a weekend. Maybe you have a brother, cousin that won't mind coming if your wife still decides it's not her thing.

Oh and as you know, Alex is my crew chief when I'm at the track. At his soccer games, I'm his water boy. We're a team. ;-)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a parent. But I agree with Darrin. From a safety standpoint, I don't think it's good to leave a 2-3 year old unattended while you are out on the track. Darrin made excellent points. I've nothing else to add, Darrin covered it perfectly.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I'll pile on! From a non-parent perspective, some know I have a motorcross track at my farm, back when I was racing I ran into my old college roommate and goalie when I was Jr/Sr. at a local race. We got to talking he was divorced had a 6/7 year old and 4/5 year old and 3 close friends and all 5 of us raced in the same class. I invited them to my track and he showed up with his kids and no one to watch them, and the chore fell to my wife who was not happy about it as I found out later. I told him that it wasn't fair to assume my wife would babysit while he was out playing and it cost us our friendship. The only up side was I regularly beat him that season. Where I am going with this is don't assume other folks will pick up the mantle without asking first.

Regarding your wife not coming, I leave Crystal and the dogs a home because she would be bored silly at the track and I want to concentrate on riding not trying to keep her from being bored. Additionally, she's supportive by altering our home schedule and not making me do things I don't want to with her so it works out. I would recommend that you find 2 to 3 three folks you can count on that will be at track days riding to help if you do have an off. I have also been lucky to fall in with a good bunch of friends that had me packed up and my rig delivered home (before I got hoe) after my last bad off.