The effect of Spies in WSBK

Fire929

The WSBK guys will be racing again this weekend and it looks like Spies is doing well in Qatar. I'm just wondering if this means that there will be a whole bunch of track day riders around the world trying to emulate his riding style.

Elbows FTW.

mnofpeace

One effect...
SpeedtV, notorious for mucking up roadracing coverage here in the USA, has altered thier coverage of World Superbike, and Saturday afternoon starting at 4pm EST, they are covering both race 1 & 2 of the Qatar event.

Way to go Speed.

Patrick
Ft. Washington, Md.
Nesba M.A. #508

avizpls

#11-A
I dont know. He hangs his torso off more, and with his elbows out wide, they get nearer to the ground. you see kids on the street on YouTube tryin to drag knees just for the sake of it...Thats what worries me. when knees are no longer "cool enough" and twats want to start touching thier elbows to the ground. I tend to take my torso off a bit like Spies, but my elbows generally stay in tight so I dont see myself wearing out elbow pads anytime soon.

Rick Johnson

I bet Ben will be watching Max B. real close this race.Glad to hear both races will
be on Sat.Looks like a crappy weekend outside here. :D

D-Swens

Yeah after his performance this weekend I'm going all Elbows all the way out!!!

hell it can't make me any slower:D

Fire929

I believe Yamaha will sell a few more bikes this year because of him also. The announcers are already saying how "easy" it is to ride the R1 and how it's the best of both worlds.

Suzuki made a mistake by letting him get away.

chambers

Spies riding style seems to be the same to me as it was in the AMA. For some reason it's seems to be exploited a bit more now. I think you'll see some foolks trying to adopt his riding style, but I think most will stick will stick to what's working for them now.

I do know that he's giving those boys in WSBK a kick in the nads.:nutkick:

Can't wait for the next race to see how he ends up.......................

Also learned today that his birthplace is the same as me. That was sorta cool to know.

dmb367

Rick Johnson;41415 wrote: I can see Spies joining Rossi in Moto GP in the next year or two.
What a team that would be.
and boot the Loren-show? :D

I could see Spies taken the other Texan's spot before that.

justariot66

First off lets give credit to Ben for being great. Lets also give Mladin credit for grooming another world champion. Mladin has been awesome for learning to go from the green light as hard as you can, and Ben has learned to drop lap after lap of just consistent and fast laps.
In race one when he snuck by the midget from Italy and like the announcers said you could see a light switch kick on and you knew he was gone. It was alomost like Rossi!
I cannot wait to see Ben in MotoGP, if he wins a title this year he will get there immediately, but I think a 2nd or 3rd will have him wait another year.
As long as he races Rossi thats all that matters. If he can beat Mladdin and then an animal like Haga the only thing left is Rossi.
I used to root against him cause I love Mladdins style of no BS and just his will to win but, man is it great to be able to root for him now.

Dave #66

D-Swens

Fire929;41413 wrote: I believe Yamaha will sell a few more bikes this year because of him also. The announcers are already saying how "easy" it is to ride the R1 and how it's the best of both worlds.

Suzuki made a mistake by letting him get away.
Suzuki made a HUGE mistake by letting him get away. I have always been a Suzuki fan, both in product and in their race programs in AMA and WSBK, but that really pissed me off when they didn't have anything in Moto GP to offer Ben...What more does a guy have to do? I mean really? he earned that spot and they absolutely snubbed him...
I really hope they live to watch Spies consistantly kick their ass over an over again in WSBK and then in Moto GP as he pulls farther and farther away from their "better", more "moto GP" riders.

xn85turbo

Control Rider
Suzuki made a big mistake. The gauntlet was thrown down and Ben answered (WSBK now knows he is no joke). On a side note what about the Aprilia, that thing seems to have some grunt behind it.

BigKid

The Suzuki/Spies ordeal reminds me of when Honda got on their high horse and said it was their bikes not Rossi that made Rossi win championships. They let him go and he shoved the Yamaha M1 right up their Arses. LOL I am not a Suzuki fan so I love that Ben went to Yamaha just like Rossi did.

justariot66

If I am not mistaken Ben had an incident that hurt him from winnig th first race in Australia! Who knows he could have 2 superpoll and 4 wins if not for Biaggi.

Suzuki has made a big mistake, they could try to steal him away. Suzuki is not as good as Yamaha in Motogp he would be crazy to go to a lesser package.

Dave

cnsmoore

Written at the base of the Statue of Yamaha:

Give me your young, your fast,
Your huddled masses yearning to haul ass,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the Texans, the Italians, to me from you:
I lift my lamp beside the YAMI BLUE.