The effect of Spies in WSBK

avizpls

#11-A
The announcers couldnt stop swooning over him. Well the one loudmouth one anyways. He calls things over WAY earlier than he should be. how many times did the 2nd guy have to call him off of a rave over how awesome Spies is to fill us in on a major battle for 2nd and a few offs.

I get that hes great and he's really shocking the WSBK guys...to hear the post-race confrence says it all, but the announcers need to remember that there is more than one guy and more than first place out there.

fossilfuel

You know the bike is great but one thing I noticed is how Ben rides. He is glued to the tank and just as flat as a pancake when he is not braking. The style of riding has got to be good for at least a couple of tenths per lap. So when everything else is equal, two tenths is huge. Replay the race and look at his postion. When he is on the straight he is flat and tight up against the tank and wind screen. When he exits the corner to a straight, he is flat and low off the bike.

Motofun352

Control Rider
fossilfuel;41581 wrote: You know the bike is great but one thing I noticed is how Ben rides. He is glued to the tank and just as flat as a pancake when he is not braking. The style of riding has got to be good for at least a couple of tenths per lap. So when everything else is equal, two tenths is huge. Replay the race and look at his postion. When he is on the straight he is flat and tight up against the tank and wind screen. When he exits the corner to a straight, he is flat and low off the bike.
He's a "big" guy...at least compared to Haga and Biaggi, he has to get out of the wind. His extra size as compared to the rest of that bunch may be his biggest liability. Hope not.

Bluenvy

Motofun352;41641 wrote: He's a "big" guy...at least compared to Haga and Biaggi, he has to get out of the wind. His extra size as compared to the rest of that bunch may be his biggest liability. Hope not.
i would say his size isnt affecting him at all

nocerus03

dmb367;41421 wrote: and boot the Loren-show? :D

I could see Spies taken the other Texan's spot before that.

I have to disagree. The garage that the Yamaha WSBK team works out of is right next door to the Yami MotoGP garage in Italy. I have a good feeling that Yami is waiting for Rossi to exit MotoGP and move onto something else and let Spies come in and take over where Val left off. Just look at how he (Spies) did in the few races he ran last year in GP. Had it not been for him not wanting to stick his nose into the points race, i believe he would have had a podium finish at Indy, and that was on the Zuk GP bike. Imagine what he could do on the M1!! I think that by Yam sticking him into WSBK, they are allowing him exposure to many of the tracks that GP runs, along with getting him acquainted with racing around the world rather than just here in the states.

arhale09

nocerus03;41803 wrote: . I have a good feeling that Yami is waiting for Rossi to exit MotoGP and move onto something else and let Spies come in and take over where Val left off.
I think most race fans would disagree with you there. Besides Rossi being the greatest motorcycle racer ever, he is the most charismatic and colorful rider in the paddock and he has worldwide rock star appeal that would make Bono jealous. As popular as Spies might be in the states, he will never fill Vale's shoes. Nobody will.

crewnutz

nocerus03;41803 wrote: I have to disagree. The garage that the Yamaha WSBK team works out of is right next door to the Yami MotoGP garage in Italy. I have a good feeling that Yami is waiting for Rossi to exit MotoGP and move onto something else and let Spies come in and take over where Val left off. Just look at how he (Spies) did in the few races he ran last year in GP. Had it not been for him not wanting to stick his nose into the points race, i believe he would have had a podium finish at Indy, and that was on the Zuk GP bike. Imagine what he could do on the M1!! I think that by Yam sticking him into WSBK, they are allowing him exposure to many of the tracks that GP runs, along with getting him acquainted with racing around the world rather than just here in the states.
you seriously think Spies didnt finish on the podium because he didnt want to "stick his nose" in the points race??

Spies is an awesome and very capable rider but seriously your smokin somethin if you believe that

fossilfuel

I don't think we would be talking about this if he had signed with Rizla. WSB was the right place at the right time.

Rick Johnson

I'm pretty sure Ben rode the GP bike as hard as he could.As we all know those bikes
are like no other and take some getting use to.Heck it took Rossi a season to get use
to the 800.I hope Rossi doesn't retire anytime soon cause I love to watch the skills he has.

snikwad

sh1t! im guilty, i was hitting an offramp in my car, on the way home from riding the bike, and i was leaning fwd with the elbows out, caught myself and busted out laughing.

snikwad

Rick Johnson;41868 wrote: I'm pretty sure Ben rode the GP bike as hard as he could.As we all know those bikes
are like no other and take some getting use to.Heck it took Rossi a season to get use
to the 800.I hope Rossi doesn't retire anytime soon cause I love to watch the skills he has.
he has already signed for 09, and extended for 2010 :)

He says hes not quiting for a few years. As he still feels hes competitive.

phoenix

snikwad;41871 wrote: He says hes not quiting for a few years. As he still feels hes competitive.

I thought Rossi was hinting to the idea that there was not enough competition a few years ago; he was getting bored. Its not that he was feeling like he could not compete, but that he was losing interest in being in MotoGP since it wasn't difficult for him and he wanted a new challenge. Yeah, then he didn't win the championship a few years, maybe that gave him a little more encouragement or maybe he could just chock it up to having bad luck for a few years (a few DNF's are really hard to overcome).

snikwad

phoenix;41887 wrote: I thought Rossi was hinting to the idea that there was not enough competition a few years ago; he was getting bored. Its not that he was feeling like he could not compete, but that he was losing interest in being in MotoGP since it wasn't difficult for him and he wanted a new challenge. Yeah, then he didn't win the championship a few years, maybe that gave him a little more encouragement or maybe he could just chock it up to having bad luck for a few years (a few DNF's are really hard to overcome).
that was 07 season, after this season he changed his mind.