The end of my street riding career

Chip

My street riding career came to an abrupt end this morning :( A friend and I went out for a ride (my 1st Sunday ride since my bad crash 2 months ago) and he couldn't get slowed for a right hander and torpedoed me. He's about 260 lbs, and when he and a big ZX12 try to ride up your butt you know it. Unfortunatly somehow his helmet came off and he ended up with a head injury. He will probably be released from the Dr tonight so thankfully it's not that bad. I'm OK, but, the pace we run and two crashes right in a row have made me decide to go track only from now on.

l_802a332301854375aacbdeb6e2c66bd2.jpg

l_d44edc857a82406aa885aed5e5a7381b.jpg

l_eeb5d5bc650e43999f16d8bc0e8cd104.jpg

TwoTyres

That sucks, hope your buddy does ok and heals up. Shame about the bike, looked sweet.

I know all about crashing and getting hurt, it just plane sucks.
i haven't been on the street all year and don't really miss it, i am just more excited when i go to the track now.

smack28752

Sorry to hear about the crash. Hope your buddy & you heal up quickly... The Yamaha will make a sweet track only bike if it's not banged up too bad!

DFlowe

I hope that both of you are okay. It actually sounds like you're quite fortunate to not be hurt more than you are considering the wreck.

The track is definately the better place to ride,

NCDave

Glad you're ok. As an alternative, why not get a more managable bike for street riding and save the sport bike for the track? Speed and curves are best for the track, for sure.

jas0336

good idea on going track-only. Really sorry to hear about the crash. Hope you both heal quickly with no lingering problems.
Looks like the R1 will be easily trackable though. From the pics, it looks like the normal track goodies will fix most of the issues.
Good luck.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
jas0336;103898 wrote: good idea on going track-only. Really sorry to hear about the crash. Hope you both heal quickly with no lingering problems.
Looks like the R1 will be easily trackable though. From the pics, it looks like the normal track goodies will fix most of the issues.
Good luck.
Most importantly, both you guys are going to be alright!! :agree: with Josh from the pics your bike doesn't look that bad. I made the switch last year, as of right now I have no intentions of riding on the streets...

trickyricky

Sorry about your and your friend's mishap. Glad to see that both of you are going to be fine. When I came back from overseas I decided that I was going to stop riding on the streets for many reasons. Crashing doesn't get cheaper with time, and your body can only take so much abuse. Get it while the getting is good and enjoy your freedom of speed safely with others that enjoy as much as you (and your friend) do, without worrying about traffic laws and other people's lack of awareness.

Is your bike the special edition? Didn't see the Ohlins, that's why I'm asking, makes no difference I know :eek:

Chip

Not an LE, it just has powdercoated wheels. Yes, it was for sale here. As far as that goes it may be a blessing because I couldn't sell it and now his insurance will pay for it. Searching for R6's now;)

jas0336

if it's paid for I'd keep that bike. I wish I would have never turned my R1 into insurance. Yeah I got a new bike but I really miss my old one.
You already know the bike and you cant get a much better track bike. They handle great and are easy to ride smooth.
Just my .02

Chip

I really miss my old R6 on the track. I liked the R1 on the street, but I have a lot of fond memories of ripping my R6 around Barber.

noobinacan

that sucks...sorry to hear. looks like everyone will heal up.
you don't have to give up on the street...just keep the fast riding for the track.
And run errands..commute. etc on the street.

Chip

I had a bad crash 2 months ago that damn near killed me and it was really rough on my wife. We have a baby due in May so I'm just thankful she didn't pull the plug on riding altogether.

Gwarusee

noobinacan;103947 wrote: that sucks...sorry to hear. looks like everyone will heal up.
you don't have to give up on the street...just keep the fast riding for the track.
And run errands..commute. etc on the street.
I agree here.
Had a bad, could have been death, wreck on the streets last year that got me into the track. The track is defenitly the best place to go fast, but I still enjoy commuting/taking trips via bike. You don't have to be white/black about it, just treat the street like it should and go all out on the track.

Folly1

Street riding does require skill and judgment that are not always evident. I went to a 2.5 day "street riding school" that changed the way I ride.

I have ridden at least 84K miles on the street since 2004 and can say, first hand, that this is one spectacular Country. IMHO, there is no better way to see it than from a motorcycle. YMMV.

Ben.

Meat

Folly1;103993 wrote: Street riding does require skill and judgment that are not always evident. I went to a 2.5 day "street riding school" that changed the way I ride.

I have ridden at least 84K miles on the street since 2004 and can say, first hand, that this is one spectacular Country. IMHO, there is no better way to see it than from a motorcycle. YMMV.

Ben.
Ben,

Are you talking about the wheelie school? Yea, I need to take that one too so that I can impress the chicks.

But if you are talking about a street riding school for sound mind and unsound body, what types of things did you learn in general?

As you know Courtney and I are wanting to take off a couple months to do a motorcycle tour in a couple years (probably after she gets in then out of nursing school).

mattf

Glad you and your buddy both will be ok. The thing about stopping riding on the street is that the street will always be there....you can always come back to it if you want.

Heal up quick