The heat kills at Redbud

dlockhart5x

This past weekend we lost Josh Lichtle. Like most racers at any AMA National, Lichtle had been racing motocross since he was a little kid, and he and his family have been a staple in the motocross community for almost 20 years. Lichtle would’ve turned 24 next month.

Reports say that Lichtle passed away this weekend from heat-related issues coming from racing at the RedBud National.
http://www.motocross.com/features/what-really-happened-redbud/

If a young, in shape MX'er can fall victim to the heat, many of us who are a bit older and a lot less in shape need to be aware.

Even with proper hydration, some of us are just more sensitive to the effects of heat and need to take precautions.

Hitman954

I saw a lot of red faces on Saturday and a few on Sunday at Blackhawk. We deffinetly need to be drinking water between sessions to stay hydrated. Maybe even sit out a session on those exceptionally hot days, and find some AC to cool off in too. At Blackhawk you can go into the same building they have the B group meeting in (right next to the tech shed) the AC is a cool 60 in there.

Sad to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

dlockhart5x

When I was 25 years younger I worked QA in a foundry and didn't mind life on the melt deck with 40 tons of iron @2800f a few feet away and ambient temps that would cook dinner.

Now I am much more sesitive and find refuge ASAP , peeling out of my gear and getting into our trailer with the AC.

ying and yang balance I guess.

my early years when it was not a issue, to today where it is.

mpz

Hitman954;199580 wrote: At Blackhawk you can go into the same building they have the B group meeting in (right next to the tech shed) the AC is a cool 60 in there.
Tower saved my day last Saturday. If it wasn't for AC, I would have to sit out sessions. On days like Sat @ BHF, water and gatorade may not be enough. Stay cool and hydrated!

RIP

noobinacan

for OP . sad to hear...

The more time you spend out in the heat..the more resistant your body will get to it and the better you'll be able to deal with it.
If you stay indoors and in the AC all the time..and all of a sudden show up to a 90 + deg trackday...its gonna get ya.

I try to stay out of the AC, a week before a hot weekend...just air. That's just my approach..works for me.

FlyingMonkey

Sad but probably very preventable. My general rule is if you don't have to take a leak between sessions then you are not drinking enough water. As much as I love being out on the track, this year I have committed to sitting out a session if I am too fatigued or hot. I figure I am getting my money’s worth anyway & I will be back next trackday to do it all again. If you are too tired, hot, or just not focusing you are risking everyone’s safety. I don’t know the details about this rider but it’s really too bad.