The I am impatient thread.

Trent1098S

I WANNA GO FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!!!!!!!

Still two weeks to go. I keep looking at the calendar constantly, but so far it's not making it get here any quicker.

I've practically buried myself in work lately to keep myself occupied and not thinking about it. Worked close to 60 hours this week and it's still my turn to come in and cover the phones this Saturday...

beac83

I'm sitting in a cheap hotel in Lancaster, CA. Tomorrow is Keith Code Level I school at Streets of Willow.

I can't wait for the NESBA season to get going either. While I'm looking forward to this, It's still not running with my buddies at NESBA.

Ran into two guys from Washington State at the Auto Zone this evening. One of their bikes is leaking oil from the right sidecover gasket. :wow: They are going to try to seal it with RTV overnight. I really wish them luck, cause I don't want any oil on the track tomorrow.

I'm renting one of their BMW S1000RR bikes for Sat and Sun. I've already got the pre-track day jitters!

Overnight low will be about 40. Tomorrow's high will be around 73. Track will be very cold in the morning.

PJZOCC624

I'll give you the double-whammy... YESTERDAY was my wife's due date with fetus #2. My plan was the VIR SED date in May, assuming baby came when it was supposed to. Wife and I agreed that after May 1st would be earliest I could hit the track. So I'm waiting for baby, waiting for warmer weather to prep the toy hauler and the bike, waiting for my first jaunt to the track... whenever that may be!!

Trent1098S

jay956;116690 wrote: oh you poor west coast guys
I'll vouche for Craig not being spoiled by Cali weather. He manned up and rode with us at Road Atlanta in December when the high both days was 41 degrees. Not a 'fair weather rider' by any stretch!!! :)

I'd wager it won't be very long before you have a :i: sticker on that bike, Craig... if the braking & cornering drills that Code runs live up to their reputation you're gonna come out of that school with a whole new perspective and a lot of ideas to practice on your own later.

Trent1098S

PJZOCC17;116708 wrote: I'll give you the double-whammy... YESTERDAY was my wife's due date with fetus #2. My plan was the VIR SED date in May, assuming baby came when it was supposed to. Wife and I agreed that after May 1st would be earliest I could hit the track. So I'm waiting for baby, waiting for warmer weather to prep the toy hauler and the bike, waiting for my first jaunt to the track... whenever that may be!!
Family first man. Riding is riding, tracks are always gonna be there. You only get one shot through the whole childhood / newborn thing. Been through it a lot (we got 5 kids) but I'll tell you this... they get old a hell of a lot quicker than I'd like.

Some kid in my next-to-youngest daughter's kindergarden class called her up this week and told her "I love you", and now suddenly she's "all grown up" and not so much a daddy's little baby... It's cute but also depressing at the same time. Depressing because that cute love shit is SUPPOSED to happen when they are teenagers so I can scare the crap out of the boy...

I have one baby left... but she's old enough now she throws a fit if I call her baby. She's "a big girl now".

I miss when they were small and would do cute things like fall asleep on dad's chest in the evening watching TV.

And I regret working too much when they were younger and getting home after their bed time more often than not. Missed a lot of time that I can't make up with them now.

So yeah family first bro. Can't possibly go wrong that way. :)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Trent1098S;116722 wrote: Family first man. Riding is riding, tracks are always gonna be there. You only get one shot through the whole childhood / newborn thing. Been through it a lot (we got 5 kids) but I'll tell you this... they get old a hell of a lot quicker than I'd like.

Some kid in my next-to-youngest daughter's kindergarden class called her up this week and told her "I love you", and now suddenly she's "all grown up" and not so much a daddy's little baby... It's cute but also depressing at the same time. Depressing because that cute love shit is SUPPOSED to happen when they are teenagers so I can scare the crap out of the boy...

I have one baby left... but she's old enough now she throws a fit if I call her baby. She's "a big girl now".

I miss when they were small and would do cute things like fall asleep on dad's chest in the evening watching TV.

And I regret working too much when they were younger and getting home after their bed time more often than not. Missed a lot of time that I can't make up with them now.

:agree: +1

beac83

Trent1098S;116718 wrote: I'd wager it won't be very long before you have a :i: sticker on that bike, Craig... if the braking & cornering drills that Code runs live up to their reputation you're gonna come out of that school with a whole new perspective and a lot of ideas to practice on your own later.
Today was a good day. The BMW S1000RR is an awesome bike. The one I rode was stock except for a set of Dunlop Qualifier-2's (dual compound) We ran in Rain mode for the first two sessions, then switched to Sport mode. These bikes were set up with the OEM ABS, DTC and Quick shifter. Brembo calipers are stock, and the brakes are nicely responsive. I *really* like the quick shifter. :) The bike is extremely well behaved and didn't feel that much heavier than my 600 when in motion. The day was highly structured, but we were able to open it up a bit this afternoon. Level I is all about cornering. I now have much to work on. Tomorrow is Level II, and If I'm able to absorb the material like I did today, I'll have things to work on all summer.

I'm learning and having fun. I still have lots to work on.

Streets of Willow is a fairly technical track, with neither of the two straights being all that long. There are several turns that can be taken at decent speed, and some S's just before entering the front straight that are very low speed. Turn 8 is an increasing radius decently banked bowl, which, once entered can be rolled into full throttle as you follow it around.

PJZOCC624

Trent1098S;116722 wrote: Family first man. Riding is riding, tracks are always gonna be there. You only get one shot through the whole childhood / newborn thing. Been through it a lot (we got 5 kids) but I'll tell you this... they get old a hell of a lot quicker than I'd like.

I definitely understand now what people meant by how fast time goes when you have kids. Joey will be 2 in June, and that time seems like a blink. Today was a good day... one of those few times when we could snooze together after a couple hours at the zoo, sat on the couch and watched a mix of golf, hoops, and cartoons!

Not begrudging missed time at the track. A little cabin fever and almost 7 months since the final laps of last season is making me a little punchy. And since we dont know if we're having a boy or a girl, the suspense is starting to get to me now, too! It's all good, though. Better weather is right around the corner, the family is happy and healthy, so no complaints!

Bring on the contractions! I'm ready for labor!!

Trent1098S

Good writeup!!! Seems like everywhere I'm hearing good things about those beemers.

Glad you had fun! Looking forward to hearing more about it when you get a chance to post up again. Would like to hear about what sort of drills & practice they run.

Looking at that track map makes me wonder what Spies would call it.. animal-wise. :)

nickmick

Trent1098S;116820 wrote: Looking at that track map makes me wonder what Spies would call it.. animal-wise. :)
i don't know about animal, but BHF always looked like Homer and Marge to me.

lol.

beac83

I finished Sunday's Level II class, and am now itching to get on the track to work on some improved skills. In all, I got a lot from the weekend and can't wait to continue to work on my improvement this summer.

To be sure, there was nothing presented at the classes this weekend that I haven't heard from a CR at some point previously, but it was broken down better and explained in a way my feeble mind could grasp and use more effectively. As a school, each day consisted of 6 sessions on track, with a seminar before each and a review with your instructor after. Each session had a specific drill to work on, as well as time to have some joy on the track. The last session of each day was opened up for all gears and and full brakes, while the earlier sessions were limited in gearing and brake use. Course control was good with the course workers acting in concert with the instructors to identify student errors and signal corrections. Each day had about 45-50 students, about 2/3 of which were using the BMW S1000RR rental bikes. Total for two days - no crashes. Excellent considering the range of skill sets out there in the Level I class.

In talking with Keith afterward about the BMW bikes, he said they have a lot less crashes with the S1000's than they had with the 600's, and that they also use less fuel with the 1000's. He attributes that to the electronics on the BMW and how well-behaved they make the bike, regardless of rider skill levels. I can attest to the good electronics. I managed to unhook the rear in Turn 10, and the bike just moved a little and re-hooked up with no additional action on my part. About the same time I sensed the unhook, the bike adjusted and "corrected" for it. That's a lot different than how my 600 acted at Road Atl in Dec when I unhooked the rear in Turn 5.

I'm looking forward to the summer season, and impatient for the NAB show to end so I can get back for Putnam.

Trent1098S

Matt;116980 wrote: I have too much work to do... I need an extra week still!!!
As nice as your bike looked last time I saw it, I don't doubt that. :)

Shit I'll probably be up until 2AM mounting those Brembo's I ordered from Turn One Friday night. Got Monoblocks and 19x18 master for the gixxer.. mmmmmm.....

*11 days*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trent1098S

beac83;117053 wrote: I finished Sunday's Level II class, and am now itching to get on the track to work on some improved skills. In all, I got a lot from the weekend and can't wait to continue to work on my improvement this summer.

To be sure, there was nothing presented at the classes this weekend that I haven't heard from a CR at some point previously, but it was broken down better and explained in a way my feeble mind could grasp and use more effectively. As a school, each day consisted of 6 sessions on track, with a seminar before each and a review with your instructor after. Each session had a specific drill to work on, as well as time to have some joy on the track. The last session of each day was opened up for all gears and and full brakes, while the earlier sessions were limited in gearing and brake use. Course control was good with the course workers acting in concert with the instructors to identify student errors and signal corrections. Each day had about 45-50 students, about 2/3 of which were using the BMW S1000RR rental bikes. Total for two days - no crashes. Excellent considering the range of skill sets out there in the Level I class.

In talking with Keith afterward about the BMW bikes, he said they have a lot less crashes with the S1000's than they had with the 600's, and that they also use less fuel with the 1000's. He attributes that to the electronics on the BMW and how well-behaved they make the bike, regardless of rider skill levels. I can attest to the good electronics. I managed to unhook the rear in Turn 10, and the bike just moved a little and re-hooked up with no additional action on my part. About the same time I sensed the unhook, the bike adjusted and "corrected" for it. That's a lot different than how my 600 acted at Road Atl in Dec when I unhooked the rear in Turn 5.

I'm looking forward to the summer season, and impatient for the NAB show to end so I can get back for Putnam.
Awesome man! I'm happy you got some good riding and instruction out of it. You'll need to explain some of the drills when we get together next so I can do something more constructive with my time on the track.

Did you find that the drills distracted you from the other stuff, or help you focus? I imagine it was kind of a bitch to ride a new bike, on a new track, doing things you normally don't have to do on a racetrack. Seems like a lot of ways to divide your attention up all at once.

Putnam is going to be sketchy for me. I may have to get someone to drive my truck & bikes over to Indiana so I can stop there on the way back from Ohio and ride. Or maybe haul the trailer out when I go, and park it at some NESBIAN's house close to London, OH where I'll be centered.. then haul it back and stop at Putnam on the way home. :)

jigs

beac83;117053 wrote: I finished Sunday's Level II class, and am now itching to get on the track to work on some improved skills. In all, I got a lot from the weekend and can't wait to continue to work on my improvement this summer.

Sound's like you enjoyed the school,funny how you always come out of those things "different".Yeah,I'm sure there's opinions on electronics,I never thought it was a big deal,you,know,"your right hand is your traction control"....then I rode a bike with electronics....me likey!

Trent1098S

jigs;117286 wrote: Sound's like you enjoyed the school,funny how you always come out of those things "different".Yeah,I'm sure there's opinions on electronics,I never thought it was a big deal,you,know,"your right hand is your traction control"....then I rode a bike with electronics....me likey!
Sure as hell makes for some less dramatic racing. You watch this weekends AMA/WSBK races? Especially WSBK.

Seems like the only crashes so far are lowsides or simple runoffs. Gotta be something to those little electronic bundles.

ERB68

jigs;117286 wrote: Sound's like you enjoyed the school,funny how you always come out of those things "different".Yeah,I'm sure there's opinions on electronics,I never thought it was a big deal,you,know,"your right hand is your traction control"....then I rode a bike with electronics....me likey!
Cheater!! ;)