The new Dunlop 211GP-A

Matt

I don’t know how many people have had the opportunity to try out the new Dunlop 211GPA, the AMA spec tire for Daytona Sportbike, so I thought I would share my experience with them from this last weekend.

I switched to Dunlop from Pirelli mid last season with my first few sets being all NTEC 211's and NTEC slicks take offs. My first set of tires for this year were 209GP-A's which were tons better than the 209GP that I had tried earlier. Now that I had the new 211GPA’s mounted up, I have had a chance to ride all of Dunlop's race tires available now and thought a comparison might be in order.

After seeing the price and hearing reviews on the new AMA spec American made 211GP-A's I figured I would try them out, last year I couldn’t buy the NTEC’s new because of the price so I had to buy slightly used take offs, the price of the 211GPA gave me the opportunity to get on a fresh set of tires. The first time I had the opportunity to try them was this weekend for my first CCS event of the season at Heartland Park (a track I had never been to before).

Overall, there isn't much to say except the tire left nothing to be desired compared to the 211 NTEC. The feel was exactly the same and I could get to WOT with a knee down coming out of turn 9, or fire into turn 3 rolling off at the '2' marker and only barely touching the brakes, pushing hard on that front tire to scrub speed. In the event I ran wide, I had the same confidence in the front to trail brake a little out of my comfort zone and get the bike turned.

I honestly forgot they were not the NTECs. I rode them as hard as I could and never felt the front push, the rear showed excellent wear as well. I have 5 races on them, 4 practice sessions and I think I can still use the rear for a NESBA event but will probably have to switch to a different rear tire at some point in the weekend.

Basically I’m comparing these to the NTEC’s because they are far closer to that tire than they are to the 209GPA’s. I didn’t notice a difference between the NTEC and 211GPA at my level and don’t really think I would until I pushed my laptimes down quite a bit further. I have my setup just about the same as last year (refreshed suspension only), rode it the best I could and was able to walk away with 2 podium finishes for the weekend at a new to me track on new to me tires. I'm happy with the new 211 GP-A's and figure it’s a win-win because I get a tire that feels like the NTEC at a much cheaper price. After what I found out this last weekend… I will be using the 211GPA for the rest of my races this year.

stkr

Thanks for the write-up Matt, and congrats on the podiums :cheers:

Now I'll have to get a price on the 211-GPA's. I'm happy with the Pirelli's I'm running now, but I have tasted the NTEC's and liked it...a LOT!

Nice work on the Podium finishes Matt and thanks for the review... I'm working my way to trying out DOTs from Pirelli Slicks and trying to make up mu mind exactly what I want to run... This helps...

Jeff

ronhix

Thanks Matt, that is very good to hear cause I love my NTEC's. I will be running the 211GPA for my DOT races this year as well. Got a bunch of them showing up at my house tomorrow in fact. :)

eagletangogreen

Used these (211 gpa's) for the first time.... Im sticking with the UK NTEC's. Im no Pro but I could definitely tell.

The diffrence to me is that if I was doing track or even novice racing, I would run the gpa's (heck the pros run this tire). I have just built my confidence up with the 211 (uk) and would hate to go learn a new tire in the middle of the season. For a trackday enthusiast it would be the ideal tire. Most of the tires made these days have so much grip, it comes down to the rider skill, and most important keeping the right tire pressure while your riding on the track! Your tire vendor can help you with those settings.

dpullen

Thanks for the write-up, Matt! That's good to know. I have a set of the GPAs that I'm looking forward to trying out. And congrats on the podiums!

Did you measure the 211GPAs and the 211NTECs? Any change in ride height front/rear?

For some reason, I seem to be overly sensitive to changes in geometry on the old R6, so I have been very careful to re-balance the bike when I change tires.

- Dave

racerboy4

D211GPA is an NTEC

Great review on the new D211GPA, just remember folks that the new tire is an NTEC tire also. Terminology would be, GP is "UK" and GPA "A=American".

Generally, on setup be really careful and dont start making a bunch of changes. The rear will measure overall diameter just a couple of mm smaller but the sides and drive area are almost identical. Some people will automatically want to raise the rear because it is smaller than the D211GP, If it is setup correctly the straight line ride height should not make a difference in the handling and ride height should not change.

Thanks