The parallel twin take over

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
I'm a huge lover of V-twins in both sportbikes and cruisers but it seems the time of V-twins is over. The GSX-8R, the KTM 990 RC and the R7 to name a few. Yamaha even killed the R6 in a move to an inline triple (supposedly the R9) because of Euro 4 or 5 standards. I believe this twins change up is all due to European Emissions regulations as well. I'm gathering that they're still torque rich engines but with a flatter delivery of energy so there's at least a small delivery difference in the block layout between a I-2 and a V-2. Does anyone know what differentiates an inline twin from a V-twin as far as emissions regulations? Is it ease of production? Looking for a puzzle piece to connect the dots.

ctk62

Parallel twins might not be the sexiest layout but they do allow you to have your cake and eat it too. Cheap, compact, light, powerful, nice sound with a 270 degree crank. What's not to like? That new KTM RC8C swapped a V twin for one and all the reviewers seem to love it. Personally 3 bangers are my favorite engine config but big high revving twins come in a close second.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Parallel twins might not be the sexiest layout but they do allow you to have your cake and eat it too. Cheap, compact, light, powerful, nice sound with a 270 degree crank. What's not to like? That new KTM RC8C swapped a V twin for one and all the reviewers seem to love it. Personally 3 bangers are my favorite engine config but big high revving twins come in a close second.
Although not huge, there's a sound difference between the I-2 and the V-2 (the Ducati L-2 included). IMHO nothing comes close to the sound of a duck droning down a long straightaway. That sound which most people know, can be recognized from a distance. Again, just wondering what the specific pro's are as they're pretty similar engines i'd imagine

ctk62

V2's main advantage is perfect balance (no balance shaft), but that comes with more cost (2 cylinder heads) and more packaging challenges (longer front to back). I don't know if it's just a Ducati thing or what but I have to admit V2s are way prettier than I2s... but on the engineering side, for smaller + cheaper engines anyway, the I2 is better