The Wait List???

JBallz

So I signed up for the wait list for Barber next month. I just got an email that said there was a spot that opened up. I tried to register for the event but it said it was full. Did I do something wrong or are you supposed to sign up some other way?

Jim McDowell

My understanding of the wait list is that when a spot becomes available it sends a notice to everyone on the wait list. The first person to sign in and pay for the day gets that spot so someone must have beaten you to it this time.

You don't pay to register for the wait list only after you get a spot.

Good luck getting a spot.

Jim

JohnS

Jim McDowell;20518 wrote: My understanding of the wait list is that when a spot becomes available it sends a notice to everyone on the wait list. The first person to sign in and pay for the day gets that spot so someone must have beaten you to it this time.

You don't pay to register for the wait list only after you get a spot.

Good luck getting a spot.

Jim
yup, I have used the wait list before

Ruhe52

First come first to roll over have a smoke and fall asleep. No really you gotta rec eive email and bam register. They go fast.

JBallz

so it's not actually a wait list, but a notification of an open spot then a free for all?
I love ME SOME NESBA but this is a little suspect. So you could be on the wait list for a month and somebody else for a day and if they catch the email first they are in? Hmmmmm...

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
JBallz;20802 wrote: so it's not actually a wait list, but a notification of an open spot then a free for all?
I love ME SOME NESBA but this is a little suspect. So you could be on the wait list for a month and somebody else for a day and if they catch the email first they are in? Hmmmmm...
:popcorn: valid point

PJZOCC624

This is a common gripe that pops up every year about the wait list. Yes, it is a wait list, but there's no wait list "order" (ie, first to sign up for the wait list, first crack at the spot... not so). Thing is, alot of times people sign up for the wait list with maybe 50% intention of going, and when the email comes, they have made other plans. NESBA really can't wait on these people to make up their minds as to whether or not they're going before the spot gets shipped on to the next person... (hopefully you can see how this might create a problem). There's really no perfect or perfectly fair way to do a wait list, IMO. Especially on a web-based sign up process.

I 100% understand the frustration. I was on the NJ Thunderbolt waitlist for about 2 weeks. When I saw my email I'd get to the computer and the day was filled up. This happend 4 or 5 times.:banghead: I had given up, but the Saturday morning before the Monday event, I got the email jumped on the site and got in. (*TIP: have your emails sent directly to your phone so you know instantly - if you don't have constant access to your email acct*)

So, good luck with your event. Realize, though, that there is nothing suspect going on or no shady dealings within. NESBA is doing it as fair as they can. It's just one of those things...

JBallz

Idea...when you sign up for the wait list you pay for the spot. If a spot does not open up you dont get a refund but track credits. Good business for Nesba and a little more "order" to the wait list.

jimgl3

50% ??????

you see, i'm dreaming that i will someday make I group and have to deal w/ things like wait lists LOL!!!

jcrich

If I recall correctly this policy was implemented beginning last year. The previous policy was for I believe Chris Moon to call people from the list in the order they were put on the list. This proved to be time consuming from a manpower perspective. Remember that all these guys have real jobs in addition to the time they spend on the club. The logistics of your idea of prepaying would be a nightmare. I have had to use the wait list a number of times and I believe to date I have only not gotten a day I wanted once out of at least 8 or 9 times.

JBallz

You think it would be a nightmare? I think calling definitely is way TOO much work. I agree with you there, but with computers today I would think just paying for a spot KNOWING you are on a wait list would be easy and require next to zero "leg work" for a computer. I dont know...I think I am just ticked that someone who has not been on the wait list long can get in before someone that has been on there for DAYZZZZZ.

Jim...stop post whoring yourself out! I got the bike fixed. Paint job looks pretty good for a garage job!!!!

jcrich

Trust me Justin, I was not all that enthused by the change when it was announced, thinking as you are. It has not turned out to be much of an issue in my opinion.

Meat

A small deposit may work. It is non-refundable if you decide not to take the slot when notified. I usually have to plan my track days too far in advance, so this doesn't affect me. I am only trying to help.

JBallz

See...thats my freaking problem. I never know if I can go until the last minute. OH well...

I got in on Sunday so I guess I will just be content with that.

As I read so often...JUST RANTING.

Mr.DJ

JBallz;20817 wrote: Idea...when you sign up for the wait list you pay for the spot. If a spot does not open up you dont get a refund but track credits. Good business for Nesba and a little more "order" to the wait list.

So, a short time before an event someone cancels and you get an email reading "your in." You need a vacation day for travel, baby-sitter, pet-sitter or other reason. Too late! Do we keep going down the list until someone confirms? How much time do we give them? Then one clicks 'cant attend' now the next member is T minus X time. Sure a countdown could work (60 mins to confirm), but we don't have a system like that (somewhat technically complicated)

I remember a time when Moon was going down a phone list. That doesn't scale very well.

We could lock in folks 15 days out (no refund or credit ) unless someone from waitlist steps in? That doesn't help attendance or motivate folks to sign up (weather watchers). Moreover, why cancel if there is a slight chance you might make it? Things seem to change around a week out. Car, job, spouse, or child issues pop up then ;)

Yes, the "Land Grab" system has timing issues for those on the waitlist. Keep ideas coming, if its fair and possible for us to implement - we will change it.

Note: I treat your spot at an event like a seat reservation in a stadium (not an airplane seat). Its yours, I will not oversell an event. If you want to show up late, or not at all your seat is there. You get a flat? Cool, see you when you get here. You only want to do the last session, fine your seat is there. You don't show the seat is empty. If I was running late and and my paid seat was sold twice, I'd call foul.

Please keep this in mind while pondering another "Fair" method. I truly welcome a perfect system.

Let me know

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
just make it to :a: group and you wont have to worry about a wait list. most of the time there is plenty of space in :a:

Coyote22

This sport is about speed!!!! Why should the waiting list be any different? The quick get in the Slow get to stay home with the wife and kids!!

:first: