There is still Hope :)

twistedsister

Hello guys, my name is Hope, I live in MN. I started riding my own bike this summer (and have been a BP for 3 yrs) and want to do some track days next season to improve my riding. I have a lot of friends who ride track days and races that got me addicted to it and I can't wait to get started myself!

dfaldridge

You're at the rite place... Just ask away, if you have any questions and folks will chime in and try to answer them.:notsure:

twistedsister

I have lots of questions! Especially since I can't seem to get the manual to download. I may be heading down to Barber this month and have never done a track day before. First question, do I have to wear a 1-piece leather suit? Can I wear a leather jacket with textile pants?

JohnS

twistedsister;221322 wrote: I have lots of questions! Especially since I can't seem to get the manual to download. I may be heading down to Barber this month and have never done a track day before. First question, do I have to wear a 1-piece leather suit? Can I wear a leather jacket with textile pants?
Welcome

Here ya go
PERSONAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED
o Helmet, undamaged, full-face DOT, SNELL, or European standard
approved, with eye protection. No flip-up helmets allowed.
o Leather riding suit; for a two piece suit a full circumference zipper is
required. Airmesh-style suits (where you can see your skin
through them) will NOT be permitted in any group. Textile suits
like Areostich are only allowed in the Intro group. All other
groups are required to have leather riding gear.
o No jeans allowed. Rental leathers are available.
o Motorcycle specific boots designed to protect your feet are required, and
race style boots with high quality armor are highly recommended. Work
boots or fashion boots will not be allowed. Rental boots are available
from your trackside vendor.
o Leather gauntlet-type gloves that cover the wrists and leave no skin
exposed.
o Back protector (strongly recommended)

twistedsister

Actually I have a 1piece leather suit that I can get on, but can't get off and that frustrates the hell out of me! Thats why I may just go the route of 2 piece that zip together since they are much easier to get them on and off. I know 2 piece is discouraged but I have to own gear I can manage myself too. I might look silly walking around to a bunch of strangers asking them to pull me out of my suit, lol

rk97

^ actually it's highly unlikely that you'll be the only one walking around asking for help out of their suit. Especially if it's hot out.

Just be quick to return the favor :D

rk97

I'll admit it makes for some awkward introductions when a total stranger walks over and says, "excuse me... could you give me a tug?"

But you'll know half the paddock after a few events. My friend JB once game up to me and said, "In a non-gay way, can you reach around my back and flip down the tail-bone part of my back protector?"

It was hard not to laugh, but I managed to respond (with a mostly straight face), "in a non-gay way? ...no, I don't think I can."

twistedsister

I'm gonna take my one piece up to the shop I bought it from wiht my undergarments on and have the guys there who race look at it and tell me if its good or not..... if not I'll go with the 2 piece and call it a day!

So I'm a beginner, when we ride on the track are we paced the entire time? Or do we get some "free" time to go as fast/slow as we want?

rk97

the first couple laps are under yellow, but otherwise, it's a all "free time" and individualized instruction.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
One thing that helps getting out of one piece leathes is long sleeved underarmour (or underarmour-like), both pants and shirt. Even on the hottest days I have long sleeved pants and shirt on. Otherwise, I'd be stuck at the elbows and knees!

Hambone

Don't do it! Get out while there is still a chance. You seem like a nice person. Save yourself! Just kidding. Welcome.

I would keep the one piece and unless it is really tight and uncomfortable I would just ask for help on and off. Like Judy said get some under drawers for riding purposes like Psycleskin or something like that. A little baby powder might help.

As for pacing, you won't be allowed to pass for the first two laps of the first two sessions so it gives you a little time to get warmed up. But then you can get buckwild.

Again, welcome to the club.

stkr

Welcome Hope! :cool:

Don't worry about being paced. You just need to ride your own ride where you're comfortable. If you're worried about going too fast, just line up towards the end and follow the CR's lead.

They'll probably wave you by after a couple of laps, but you're not required to pass. You can just hang out behind them. They'll figure out you need a tow. It's what we do.

If you just want to go fast, there's plenty of chances for that too.

Just have fun out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twistedsister

Thanks everyone for the help! I went to Barber last weekend for my first 2 track days. It was an amazing time and I loved it! CR were very helpful in getting me started and there were plenty of people to help pull me out of my 1piece after riding. I wore the long sleeve under armour and it worked great. I certainly didn't need to worry about going fast, I was the slowest person there anyways lol. But I rode at my own pace and learned a lot about my bike and cornering. After all, I've only been riding my bike for 3 months and this was my first time on a track so considering everything I think I did allright. I'm looking forward to getting next years schedule so I can plan more track days!

beac83

Twistedsister,
Welcome to the Addiction! Start saving your money now for next season, it comes faster than you think.

Glad you had a great time last weekend. It was a very full grid, but the CR's and Director(s) on hand did a very good job of managing things.

Speed comes with confidence, which comes with more track time.

Welcome!

avizpls

#11-A
stkr;221377 wrote: Welcome Hope! :cool:

Don't worry about being paced. You just need to ride your own ride where you're comfortable. If you're worried about going too fast, just line up towards the end and follow the CR's lead.

They'll probably wave you by after a couple of laps, but you're not required to pass. You can just hang out behind them. They'll figure out you need a tow. It's what we do.
I wish I had done that for more that 1 session that time I went to CMP for the first time. Use the CRs....they're amazing instructors when you open your ears and listen.