Thinking about joining NESBA...

RockStarArtist

Salutations,

Been riding a little over 3 years now...a complete noob on motorcycles. Very interested in trying out the track. Reside in the state of Maryland, vicinity of Baltimore.

I am a slow, analytical and methodical learner... so I hope that doesn't hamper my track experience.(When I was first learning to ride, i planned my rides and objectives and assessed myself afterwards..lol.) Very much looking forward to learning to ride in the challenging environment known as the track.

Questions do persist:
[list type=decimal][*]Are each and every lap time recorded for you or do you need your own device to keep track of that?[*]What data loggers have you all had good experience with?[*]Why NESBA for each of you, instead of.....?[*]What have you not particularly liked about NESBA?What have you liked most about NESBA?I notice some of you have numbers, does NESBA assign your bike numbers?Perspectives on Summit Point?(Closest track to me)[/list type=decimal]
My track weapon will be my 2007 Triumph Daytona 675. Only intend on putting bodywork, sliders, and fresh street tires initially. Unless, recommended otherwise. Putting the majority of my money on a nice full suit with armor, Sidi boots, and a new helm.

Planning on doing my part towards the economy and buying a new bike this winter and leaving the 675 for the track.

Currently weighing my options and reading up on other track day organizations, NESBA is in the top 3 at the moment.

Regards,
RockStarArtist

bmart

Control Rider
Slow and methodical is a good way to learn and stay healthy and uninjured while you do it.

I'm glad that NESBA made your top three...

1. Are each and every lap time recorded for you or do you need your own device to keep track of that?

You will need a lap timer mounted to your bike. NESBA sells a few types.

2. What data loggers have you all had good experience with? Um, what?

3. Why NESBA for each of you, instead of.....?

They are the best, safest, nicest, highest skilled of the large groups I've ridden with.

4. What have you not particularly liked about NESBA?

Nothing.

5. What have you liked most about NESBA?

Super people. Great deals on multiple days. Deals on parts. Did I mention nice people?

6. I notice some of you have numbers, does NESBA assign your bike numbers?

You provide your own. Some people choose something meaningful to them.

7. Perspectives on Summit Point?(Closest track to me)

Never been there. Good luck!

Fastguy

RockStarArtist;163855 wrote: Salutations,

Been riding a little over 3 years now...a complete noob on motorcycles. Very interested in trying out the track. Reside in the state of Maryland, vicinity of Baltimore.

I am a slow, analytical and methodical learner... so I hope that doesn't hamper my track experience.(When I was first learning to ride, i planned my rides and objectives and assessed myself afterwards..lol.) Very much looking forward to learning to ride in the challenging environment known as the track.

Questions do persist:
[list type=decimal][*]Are each and every lap time recorded for you or do you need your own device to keep track of that? Most events Nesba has a beacon out. You would need a laptimer[*]What data loggers have you all had good experience with? Havent used any.[*]Why NESBA for each of you, instead of.....? Feedback from C/R's is worth price of admission. You start in B group and learn/earn your way into the faster goups. You cant than choose to ride in A group (the fastest group) when in reality you belong in the B group, Much safer IMO.[*]What have you not particularly liked about NESBA? I honestly have no dislikesWhat have you liked most about NESBA? Feedback from the C/R'sI notice some of you have numbers, does NESBA assign your bike numbers? You pick your own. Its basically so that you can be identified on the track.Perspectives on Summit Point?(Closest track to me) As long as the surface is on par its a great track. Look into NJMP also. Its a little more than 2 hours away.
[/list type=decimal]
My track weapon will be my 2007 Triumph Daytona 675. Only intend on putting bodywork, sliders, and fresh street tires initially. Unless, recommended otherwise. Putting the majority of my money on a nice full suit with armor, Sidi boots, and a new helm.

Planning on doing my part towards the economy and buying a new bike this winter and leaving the 675 for the track.

Currently weighing my options and reading up on other track day organizations, NESBA is in the top 3 at the moment.

Regards,
RockStarArtist
Good Luck and Welcome to NESBA!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! You'll enjoy track riding and learn a lot! I agree that slow and methodical is a great approach! That's a good mindset to have in this sport. Sign up for the Beginner group.

As mentioned, you have to provide your own lap timer, but honestly, as a new track rider I wouldn't bother with one for at least your first season. There is so much to learn, and your focus should be on technique and being smooth. Speed shouldn't be a focus at all. If you are smooth and just work on good technique, the speed will come. Do not focus on lap times. The mantra is "you have to go slow to go fast".

I've ridden with several different orgs since I started trackdays in '95. I really like NESBA. The Control Riders (CRs) give feedback to you all day, after each session. They really pay a lot more attention to the riders and give tons of instruction, more than any other org I've ridden with. Overall, the organization of NESBA is top-notch, from the online registration system to the efficiency of registration and tech at the track. I also like the fact that you have to be promoted, or "bumped" up to the next group; it makes for a much safer, more consistent environment. I honestly have no complaints about NESBA, and that's saying a lot.

I've met a lot of great folks!

I like Summit Main a lot. I haven't ridden the smaller Jefferson Circuit. Definitely come up to NJ Motorsports park, too. I ride at those two frequently, stop by, introduce yourself, ask any questions you may have! :)

Fastguy

HondaGalToo;163865 wrote: Welcome! You'll enjoy track riding and learn a lot! I agree that slow and methodical is a great approach! That's a good mindset to have in this sport. Sign up for the Beginner group.

As mentioned, you have to provide your own lap timer, but honestly, as a new track rider I wouldn't bother with one for at least your first season. re is so much to learn, and your focus should be on technique and being smooth. Speed shouldn't be a focus at all. If you are smooth and just work on good technique, the speed will come. Do not focus on lap times. The mantra is "you have to go slow to go fast".
I've ridden with several different orgs since I started trackdays in '95. I really like NESBA. The Control Riders (CRs) give feedback to you all day, after each session. They really pay a lot more attention to the riders and give tons of instruction, more than any other org I've ridden with. Overall, the organization of NESBA is top-notch, from the online registration system to the efficiency of registration and tech at the track. I also like the fact that you have to be promoted, or "bumped" up to the next group; it makes for a much safer, more consistent environment. I honestly have no complaints about NESBA, and that's saying a lot.

I've met a lot of great folks!

I like Summit Main a lot. I haven't ridden the smaller Jefferson Circuit. Definitely come up to NJ Motorsports park, too. I ride at those two frequently, stop by, introduce yourself, ask any questions you may have! :)
:agree:

This is so true. Learn the fundamentals and your speed will come.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Welcome RockStarArtist!

Most of your questins have been answered above and I would also have to say the biggest thing I like about NESBA is the people. I have yet to meet someone I didn't like or couldn't get along with. Everyone I have met has been very approachable and helpful. The control riders are very skilled and knowledgeable and always willing to help. They are a big part of the community feeling.

I have been riding with NESBA for about a year and a half now and love it! I too live near Baltimore so if you ever want to chat about anything just shoot me a PM.

As far as Summit, I have been there a few times and it is growing on me. I am actually starting to really like the layout and can't wait to get back out there next season. I have yet to get to NJMP due to scheduling and weather but I hear good things.

Regardless of the org you end up with it sounds like you have the right mindset for track riding. Just be warned, once you try it, you WILL want more!!!

TeamBeer

This was my first year doing trackday and I have been riding for 2 1/2 years. I was able to do three trackdays this year, do to scheduling and the availability of transportation (a trailer). The first two track days were done with other organizations and I really enjoyed them. Once I found out about NESBA and read through their policies and offerings I thought it was worth a try. My first day with them was in October at Road Atlanta. They have the most thorough tech inspection, but they don't expect anything more than any other organization, they just make sure your bike is in good shape.

I like that they include all of the other fees, like track entry fees for riders and crew (friends and family). The rain insurance and crash/breakdown insurance. I haven't used them yet, but the control riders are always available to help you improve and ride safely. The other orgs had control riders and they were helpful, but they would only have two or three on track. NESBA has a lot more control riders available for you to work with to get the most out of your track days.

Another thing I like about NESBA is that they communicate, registration is easy and they have taken the time to provide most any information you could need on their website.

rk97

RockStarArtist;163855 wrote:
Questions do persist:
[list type=decimal][*]Are each and every lap time recorded for you or do you need your own device to keep track of that?[*]What data loggers have you all had good experience with?[*]Why NESBA for each of you, instead of.....?[*]What have you not particularly liked about NESBA?What have you liked most about NESBA?I notice some of you have numbers, does NESBA assign your bike numbers?Perspectives on Summit Point?(Closest track to me)[/list type=decimal]
1. Buy your own lap timer, or borrow one. There are a lot of fast guys who know they're fast and don't keep track of what the clock tells them.

2. There are a bunch of threads about the various GPS data loggers/lap timers. I don't have the cash to have experience with any of them, but the Starlane would be my choice. the search function is your friend with that question. And as noted in #1, the people who bought these probably have an old 'standard' lap timer around for sale cheap, or that you could borrow.

3. NESBA is the safest org I've encountered, with the best instruction. They proactively monitor who is riding in which group, and move people up or down accordingly. while other orgs claim to do the same, I've seen it enforced MUCH more often by NESBA. I also think NESBA's CR's are a lot more proactive about helping me improve than other orgs that expect me to ask for help if I don't want ot be totally ignored. Plus I've ridden with other orgs where I've been legitimately faster than some of their coaches. Even the 'slowest' NESBA CR's are damn quick.

4. NESBA's membership fee is higher than most other orgs, but you get more out of it - it's just a matter of whether or not you actually have the misfortune of using their crash and/or rain insurance. Good value, but still a higher buy-in. Not really a complaint, but not something I love.

5. Ron, Buck, Judy, Cooney, Todd, Beth, PJ, Pascal, Kevin, Brian, Jordan, Jeff, other Jeff, Murph, and 50 other people I should apologize for not mentioning. You find nice people any time you go to the track, but NESBA riders and 'staff' just seem to be more into helping you ride better, AND have fun on and off the track.

6. choose your own numbers. You can change them at any time in your account online. They're primarily for corner workers, so they can say "orange #80 is puffing black smoke." Accountability to other riders as well. "the blue R6 made an illegal pass on me" doesn't help anyone when there are 10 blue R6's... "blue #34 did a wheelie as he passed me on the inside and kicked my foot off the peg" gets Buck yelled at.

7. Any track is a good track. Summit had some sections repaved last season, and the layout has always gotten great reviews.

When looking at tracks, consider the cost of tolls to get there as much as you consider distance. With a trailer, distance is bad, but tolls are worse... bike in truck bed is a different ballgame. YMMV.

welcome.

Mikey75702

Welcome to nesba. The club is great, has great rules, and awesome people. The only thing i can complain about nesba, is that those people keep taking all my excess money, and would take anything else I would give them. They supply something much worse then drugs, tracktime with great control riders. I don't feel a laptimer is needed, but it does help you SEE your changes. If you are going to get a laptimer I would suggest a gps based timer like the xt gpx pro, everyone raves about it. I have the xt ultra lap, and it works great for the options it has, but the gpx is far more advanced. Summit is a great track, but so are the jersey tracks and they are about the same distance.

Kordyte

1. Are each and every lap time recorded for you or do you need your own device to keep track of that?
2. What data loggers have you all had good experience with?
3. Why NESBA for each of you, instead of.....?
4. What have you not particularly liked about NESBA?
5. What have you liked most about NESBA?
6. I notice some of you have numbers, does NESBA assign your bike numbers?
7. Perspectives on Summit Point?(Closest track to me)

Pretty much everybody has gotten all the questions answered. I like NESBA because the teaching/learning mentality take precedence over the winner/loser mentality, which is why we have such a great group system that's about your skills and not your ego. You can still ride balls out and have a great time with nobody nanny-ing you, as long as you stay safe and respectful. Perfect balance.

Few things I'll add -- personally, I'd pay less attention/money to stuff like data loggers and timers at this point. I know about data loggers from my performance car days (which I was into before I started bike trackdays), and if that's what you're talking about, especially on bikes, the learning curve is such that you're not gonna get a lot of advancement from it unless you're a very, very fast racer.
Assuming you don't have a huge amount of natural talent, learn quickly, and go to A group within a few trackdays (happens but rarely), wait until you're a lot more experienced before messing with lap timers. I still have so much to learn that I KNOW when I'm going faster, I don't need to see the exact times on my bike. I'll shop for one once I'm well into A group.

I might recommend getting something slightly stickier than a full street tire... try the Dunlop Q2. I haven't tried them, but according to reviews of them they might be the right kind of tire for you, and pretty cheap.

1) Rockstarartist is an oxymoron
2) I hear that T1 at Summit has a water problem
3) Nesba is for riders with a serious attitude about riding and coming home in one piece. I hesitate to ride with any other group as I have heard some horror stories about poor behavior on the track. Noe of that with these guys. Maybe at parties, but not on the track, but I digress . . .

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome to the NESBA Family!! trust me, you've come to the right place, see you at the track...

kbonigut

I would join up for sure, this is my third year track riding and in that time I have ridden with some other orgs. Whenever I do, i find myself wishing the day was a Nesba day. The biggest reason is the quality and attention of the control riders you get with Nesba, all just really nice (and fast) guys and girls that really take your improvement seriously and go out of their way to work wtih you (if you look to get their input) and they also keep the track safe. The other big factor is the attitude of other members, just really quality people who all have a common passion and respect for each other and each others safety.

Everything else has been answered above by others, I would stress not worrying about lap times, just work on things step by step and when you are going faster you will definitely know...... Someone will pat you on the back and give you a new sticker for your bike and then you get a big ass smile (much better than a laptimer).

Oh yeah Summit point is a great track but also make the drive to beaver run in PA, total blast.

RockStarArtist;163855 wrote: Salutations,

Questions do persist:

Regards,
RockStarArtist
just sign up!! i did 4 track days last summer and would do one every week if i could afford it .Nesba is great, the control riders are awsome and really like to help you out ! as far as the number goes ,when you sign up you give them your choices you want . there was a thread on here of how everyone picked their number and what it meant . hope to see out at track !

PJZOCC624

You should try all the org's on your list to see who best suits YOUR personality and goals. I will echo the positive statements already made about NESBA, and I am a loyal member to them. That said, I'd like to see a little more structure with our B group. I'd like to see B group riders assigned the same CR throughout the day, and a bit more group chats as the day goes on. Now, NESBA CRs I feel are the best in the business, and you will learn more from them versus the other org's, but since you asked what we DONT like...
and its not a huge knock on NESBA but I think its an opportunity for improvement.

I heart NESBA

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Hey RockStar..I'm right down the road (Pasadena, MD).

The more I ride Summit Main..the more I'm falling in love with that 2 miles of asphalt in West Virginia.

NESBA is about the people for me. It's like an extended family. I cannot remember an event I've attended where I didn't meet and make a new friend in the last 9 years and over 80 track days.

Hope to see you out at a Summit event this year.

Welcome to the addiction..but this is one you won't ever regret..and there are no side effects like with a Methadone treatment program.

bugmn20

ronhix;163931 wrote: Welcome to NESBA! Come on out and spend a day with us, you will not regret it.
You definitely will not regret joining NESBA! Did my first 2 days with them this year and it was the most fun i've ever had on my bike.

TeamBeer;164005 wrote:
Just do it!!!
:agree:

BigBird

Welcome!

RockStarArtist;163855 wrote:
Questions do persist:
[list type=decimal][*]What data loggers have you all had good experience with? GPX PRO[*]Why NESBA for each of you, instead of.....?They teach you how to be a better rider and have great coaches, what we call Control Riders :cr:What have you not particularly liked about NESBA? That I don't have enough $$ to run every track day with themWhat have you liked most about NESBA?Instruction and all the people you meet[/list type=decimal]
Good Move!

Another good move or just buy a set up track bike. definitely cheaper in the long run

fixed this for you

Currently weighing my options and reading up on other track day organizations, NESBA is always the best