Thinking about switching bikes

akosi

Right now I own a 2011 gsxr 750. The bike was a great starter bike and I still love the way it rides at the track but I can't stop shaking the feeling that I would like a bigger bike this year. I have thought about the RSV4 probably the most as I love almost everything about that bike but I don't want to spend the money and be upset with my decision. I don't see the RSV4 in MotoGP and that worries me that it's the wrong bike. I have also thought about the R1 as a cheaper option since I would like to spend the money on trying racing this year.

Anyone else get this feeling about moving to a bigger bike? Am I just being silly?

Also does anyone know what events I would be able to enter with the RSV4 in CCS?

JBowen33

I started out on a ninja 650 then I upgraded to an 06 ducati 999. The ninja was a great bike but my duc is by far more fun and exhilarating to ride. Don't let anybody talk you out of getting the aprilia if you want it. Yes it's Italian and cost more then the jap bikes but it also comes with the components that have to be added to the jap bikes like quick shifter etc... Which pretty much adds up to almost the same at the end. My ducati is also the easiest bike I have ever owned to work on and I pretty much have owned every sport jap bike outside of a gsxr. Anyway enough about my duc. My friend I ride with has an aprilia. Absolutely loves it on the track and street it is just a tad bit thirsty on gas from what he says. To keep the cost down if/when you wreck get race body work and get aftermarket clip ons. Keep the oem stuff for resale and you'll be fine. Also people don't think about this but for the high end bikes I think it is way easier to find oem parts for in my opinion. People wreck them on the street. They get totaled because of the labor costs (109 dollars an hour at my local eurosports shop) and they get parted out because of insurance companies not wanting to pay to fix it. Well good luck in your choice hope that helps.

JRA

You should stick with the 750, or if you are really serious about racing you should also consider a 600. That fact that you called your 750 a starter bike tells me you should give this some serious thought before you get a 1000.

gursesl

For what's worth, I own a 2011 GSXR750, a 2012 Panigale 1199S and a 2013 BMW HP4. Guess which bike gets the fastest lap times? Yupp, you guessed it.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I agree with John, you consider the 750 a starter bike…there's no way you're riding the 750 to its full potential.

akosi

Maybe starter bike was the wrong way to say it. My main thought on this is do I want to spend money on a 750 to make it faster or in the end am I going to be upset I didn't just upgrade to a bigger bike and start spending money on it. I haven't taken the plung on buying shocks, brakes, full system exhaust, and so on and before I do I want to weigh my options.

bmrboy

Starter bike ??? I don't think so ... I had a 2010 BMW S-1000 RR Great bike , did everything quite nicely ... :wow:
Newest Track Bike , Just like Levent ... 2011 GSXR-750 ... it's a sweet ride ... :) parts are plentiful & reasonably priced.

I am by no means the fastest guy out there , but the 750 rocks .... :D It's a VERY capable bike .. you won't have to spend
BIG $$$$ for go fast stuff either . trust me . I'm very impressed with the 750 ;) keep it and learn how to ride it .. :popcorn:

JVance

Buy whatever you enjoy riding but if you are looking to go faster more CCs is probably not going to do it. That is depending on your lap times now I suppose. Look at expert 600 times @ www.mylaps.com for the tracks you ride. That'll give you a good idea if you are near the 750s potential. If you are matching top expert 600 lap times on your 750 you may be able to utilize more HP. Using Summit Point Main as an example, super stock expert 600 times are in the 1:15 range. So IMO if you can get a relatively stock 750 in the 1:16 1:17 range you may be able to pull another second or two out of the RSV.

You won't see an RSV4 in motoGP just like you won't see an R1, ZX10, GSXR, or CBR etc in MotoGP. There are no production bikes in motoGP. Not sure about the CRT rules, but I'm talking the main group. World superbike has production based motorcycles.

If you are just doing track days, go with what your heart enjoys, just make sure your bank account can match that decision.

Pseudolus

Streetfighter122;294827 wrote:

If you are just doing track days, go with what your heart enjoys, just make sure your bank account can match that decision.
This! :agree:

Not sure why you want "bigger" but if it's for speed, you may want to take a poll on how many of the CR's (the fastest among us) ride liter bikes vs. 600's and the GSXR 750. And They still pull away from you on the straights due to better riding fundamentals.

I ride my particular liter bike because of the performance reviews and safety features. And I fell in love with the color scheme. But I've never looked at the GSXR 750 as a slouch or something you grow out of....

Love the Aprillia so good luck whichever way you go!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Nothing sweeter than passing liter bikes on a pesky 600 :D

In the hands of an expert a liter bike is quicker. But most of us, myself included cant fully utilize a liter bike to its potential. Heck I still need work on the 600. I went from a 600 to a 1000 and back to a 600. More fun a little easier on tires and end of the day, I'm as quick or quicker on the 600. The 1000 made some of the passes easier, but ultimately I enjoy the 600 better.

If it's something you want to try than go for it. Its only money and if its all about fun, so do whatever makes you happy.

BlueMax

Two days of CCS racing on my SV650 made me faster on my gsxr750. Just saying, bigger isn't always faster.

borislav

Control Rider
IN all reality it really does not matter what any of us say...but
If you don't do it and next year you get on the track on the gsxr and not enjoy riding it you will go backwards!
If you do it and get Aprilia and realize it's beautiful, sounds good... but it is a bit more work than gsxr, different power delivery, etc, etc you will have to adjust your riding style etc and realize it does not work for you you'll go backwards!
But than it may work wonderful!
A lot to think about, than again if money is not a problem hell yeah go get it! ;)

HAVE A GOOD NIGHT OF THINKING AND NOT SLEEPING!!! :D

JRA

akosi;294818 wrote: Maybe starter bike was the wrong way to say it. My main thought on this is do I want to spend money on a 750 to make it faster or in the end am I going to be upset I didn't just upgrade to a bigger bike and start spending money on it. I haven't taken the plung on buying shocks, brakes, full system exhaust, and so on and before I do I want to weigh my options.
If you wasn't to get faster and improve your riding you should go smaller, not bigger.

noobinacan

I was on a 600...for a while. and thought I was ready for a 1000.
was talked out of it by some people here and then I saw all the faster folk going back to 600/750. I'm so glad I didn't go the 1L route.

anyone here can give you honest 10+ reasons why not to get a liter bike. The first one is you're just going to make your learning curve steeper and your life harder in general.

in this sport, less is more and smoother is faster.

end of the day it won't matter if you get a 1L or stick with 750...you gotta lookout for yourself and just honest advice in this thread for all.

noobinacan

gursesl;294807 wrote: For what's worth, I own a 2011 GSXR750, a 2012 Panigale 1199S and a 2013 BMW HP4. Guess which bike gets the fastest lap times? Yupp, you guessed it.
lemme guess :D
1) 2012 Panigale 1199S
2) BMW hp4
3) gsxr 750
:eek:

akosi

Thanks for all the responses does sound like I should stick with the gsxr. I'll just hold off on a new bike until the first couple of track days are done to see what I want to do. Hell could just be the winter weather talking me out of the 750 haha

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
One thing that did not get mentioned is the fact that if you change bikes, you will ultimately be slower, at least at first. Each bike performs a little differently and getting used to a different bike will take some time. I went from a 2000 R1 to a 2005 R1 and it took almost 6 months to get back to the lap times I had on the old bike. I surpassed them by a decent margin once I got used to the new bike, but it took time and effort to sort out the differences.

I don't know your finances, but keeping the 750 for racing might be the best option. If you can, pick up the RSV4 and get some seat time on it at track days prior to throwing it in the ring at a race. Just another thought.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
akosi;294818 wrote: Maybe starter bike was the wrong way to say it. My main thought on this is do I want to spend money on a 750 to make it faster or in the end am I going to be upset I didn't just upgrade to a bigger bike and start spending money on it. I haven't taken the plung on buying shocks, brakes, full system exhaust, and so on and before I do I want to weigh my options.
Ok, I follow you now…Hey, I've owned a Aprilla RSV 1000, Ducati 1098 and GSXR 1000. The 750 is the weapon of choice ;) That's just me though…:cool: I'm sure you'll make the right move for you ~ we'll see you out there this season.