thoughts on Naked Bikes at the track

I just did my first rounds with NESBA at VIR a few weekends ago. I only saw a handful of Naked Bikes on the track. I am running a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter in the B group. I would like to hear thoughts from others on the performance of naked bikes at the track. Are there any naked bikes in the I or A groups? Is there a disadvantage (other than areodynamics) these bikes have when compared to the race replicas? I would love to hear the thoughts on this, especially from others that ran a naked bike on the track.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
There's always nakeds at track days. If you like it, then go for it. However, just remember that you must be embrace the possibility of totally destroying it if you crash.

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
I have never had a streetfighter on the track, but I know when i am on mine wind becomes an issue at 100 plus. I dont mean just slowing you down, that is a lot of force trying to pull you backward. I know I end up being to tense on the bars. I love my naked bike for riding on the street, but on the track plastics are a big help.

bronsonj

I ran a Triumph Thruxton at VIR a couple of weeks ago in the I group. Other than the fact that my bike is slow, no problems. I wear ear plugs for the noise & put my chest & chin on the tank on the straights. When you sit up to brake, you'll feel a bit of wind pulling.

rk97

If I were doing the street/track split, I'd almost definitely run a naked bike.

Wind is certainly an issue, but the straights are rarely where we have the most speed to gain anyway.

The only thing I'd consider is some kind of one-off belly pan to catch oil if your motor blows (i swear that's not a Ducati joke!), a rigged up number plate to identify you more easily, and maybe deflect some wind a little higher.

All that said, the AMA guys turn faster laps on XR1200's than I can on a fully faired 600 with equal power and a 200lbs weight advantage...

I hear you, Bo Bo. I'm trying to decide if I am going to buy a separate bike for the track next year. Probably not until April if I do.

Thanks, Chris (and others). I do have some frame sliders, fork sliders, and a radiator guard to protect her at the track. I'll see how it goes at Thunderbolt in a few days. The wind didn't seem to bother me on the straight at either VIR course, but I probably wasn't topping out that fast either.

jfeagin

I've run a Honda 599 and a Triumph Speed Triple on the track. Each has it's quirks. Wind force on the straights can be an issue on a long one like Summit Main. I could never get much over 115mph there without having my head blown around too much. But that's prolly just my weak and girly neck muscles.

The 599, otherwise, was great to ride. Not quite a CBR in terms of power, but lots of fun to ride, nonetheless.

My Triumph, however, has a lot of weight up high so is a little harder to manage around a chicane, say. I've seen some other naked bikes with similar issues. For me, the ergos were also a little harder.

I really prefer a good, faired 600 like my ZX or my old CBR. But as they say, YMMV.

R_Whiteman45

there was a guy at Lightning one track day on a naked Duc in A class just killing it!

i didnt get a chance to meet him though

Godfather

Naked Bikes

Brother,

If it FEELS GOOD, DO IT!! I was at VIR on the South Course in the B group on my Black and Silver BMW R1150R. I have signed up for the 18th Full Course run. Get behind a guy or gal and draft as I did. I hope to see you there.

Mike "Godfather" Beard