Thoughts on Shenny

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
So I see September is when N2 will be running at Shenandoah.

I keep hearing mixed things about Shenandoah at Summit Point due to its layout.

The course itself looks fun. But there are walls. Lots of them. I'm wondering if it's safe.

This has probably been discussed already, but I thought I'd ask. What's everyone's thoughts?

JarvisB

My one cent would be to not let all the comments get into your head. If you ride your ride then you will be fine IMO. That is true that Shenandoah is not for racing I can understand that, but no reason to be scared to ride on it for a track day. I loved it every time I go out there - always find my huge flaws while riding Shenandoah considering it is a very technical track.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
My one cent would be to not let all the comments get into your head. If you ride your ride then you will be fine IMO. That is true that Shenandoah is not for racing I can understand that, but no reason to be scared to ride on it for a track day. I loved it every time I go out there - always find my huge flaws while riding Shenandoah considering it is a very technical track.

+1 totally agree…

moman

I do at least a two day weekend there every year. Glad to see N2 will be going, can't wait. It's definitely my current favorite of the Summit tracks although I'm planning to check out the lengthened Jefferson.

MANIX

Control Rider
I love it. Super technical. Your legs will be tired and your tire should be worn on both sides.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
We had a great time last year running Shenny and had a great turnout. Our members said that they liked it and its obvious that other clubs run successful days there. We want to offer the tracks that our members want to run on. After all its your club.

JarvisB

I love it. Super technical. Your legs will be tired and your tire should be worn on both sides.
This!

Couldn't believe how tired my legs were when I went out there on 5/11 with Roger Lyles. That was enough to put me back into gym for past two weeks in preparation for my TDs at PittRace this weekend! haha - I normally work out, but for the last month or two, I have been very lazy and I thought it showed big time when I rode at Shenandoah. Also, it didn't help much when it was my first TD of the season.

virtualsolitude

Okay, that's a definite 'plus'. Watching a YouTube vid, there were a lot of walls that prompted my original post.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Okay, that's a definite 'plus'. Watching a YouTube vid, there were a lot of walls that prompted my original post.

The walls are not a problem at Shenny, you would have to ride WAY above your head to hit a wall. It's not a fast track, it's a technical track to work on things. Fun times

virtualsolitude

Okay, so I finally rode Shenny this past Sunday (with another org). It WAS FUN. It's like autocross but on a closed course without a lot of cones. My legs got a workout and the tires are worn on both sides. I'm liking the even wear pattern Shenny dishes out.
I had 63 miles on the odometer when done (but it's a small track) and didn't use a full tank of gas. See 'downer' note below.
I'm glad I had an uneventful day and STILL look forward to riding there again.
Was anyone else there?
Downer note:
Not to sound negative (because I did have fun), but on the downside, there were a LOT of red flags thrown in every group, two ambulances and many trips onto the track by the crash truck. Being conservative in my estimate, there were probably 10 red flags thrown in the intermediate group ALONE. And a few sessions where two red flags were thrown (and our sessions cut short).
In the intermediate group, we managed just two full sessions with no red flags thrown the entire day. :O
Incidents:
- Riders bunched up in 'trains' in the N and I groups. The N group was red flagged several times in an attempt to break up the trains. :))
- Runoffs and crashes. A lot of bikes got wadded.
- Riders being too aggressive in traffic and unsuccessfully occupying the same piece of asphalt as the overtaken rider. Twice, multiple bike crashes occurred.
- There were 3 'I' riders who truly were truly shouldn't have been in that group, so closing speed differences were huge when lapping them.
I'm still thinking about how N2 will do things differently. Shenny IS technical and separated the men from the boys (and ladies from the girls).
Last, I should mention that there were not many CRs (or coaches, as they're called in that org) on the track.
Comments are welcomed.

dhaines

I was there on Sunday as well. I was in the novice group (that was my 3rd track day ever) and I loved the track. There were lot of red flags that day I think it's people trying to hard and also I think there should be a limit to group size for that track otherwise you get bunched up

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Okay, so I finally rode Shenny this past Sunday (with another org). It WAS FUN. It's like autocross but on a closed course without a lot of cones. My legs got a workout and the tires are worn on both sides. I'm liking the even wear pattern Shenny dishes out.
I had 63 miles on the odometer when done (but it's a small track) and didn't use a full tank of gas. See 'downer' note below.
I'm glad I had an uneventful day and STILL look forward to riding there again.
Was anyone else there?
Downer note:
Not to sound negative (because I did have fun), but on the downside, there were a LOT of red flags thrown in every group, two ambulances and many trips onto the track by the crash truck. Being conservative in my estimate, there were probably 10 red flags thrown in the intermediate group ALONE. And a few sessions where two red flags were thrown (and our sessions cut short).
In the intermediate group, we managed just two full sessions with no red flags thrown the entire day. :O
Incidents:
- Riders bunched up in 'trains' in the N and I groups. The N group was red flagged several times in an attempt to break up the trains. :))
- Runoffs and crashes. A lot of bikes got wadded.
- Riders being too aggressive in traffic and unsuccessfully occupying the same piece of asphalt as the overtaken rider. Twice, multiple bike crashes occurred.
- There were 3 'I' riders who truly were truly shouldn't have been in that group, so closing speed differences were huge when lapping them.
I'm still thinking about how N2 will do things differently. Shenny IS technical and separated the men from the boys (and ladies from the girls).
Last, I should mention that there were not many CRs (or coaches, as they're called in that org) on the track.
Comments are welcomed.

None of your complaints have anything to do with the track itself. I don't even have to look at the schedule to know you're talking about ....uh, the track day org that rides Summit all the time. Everyone knows who I'm talking about. Riding with them is like riding in the wild wild West. If you ever meet me in person, please ask about my experience and I'll go on for 20 minutes about all the joys I experienced, and many of them are the same complaints you have. Having ridden with various track day org's, I'm a firm believer in that certain groups attract certain riders. And that org just attracts squids. They hand out bumps without so much giving a second thought (A lot of times you can just request a bump and they'll give it to you), which causes the exact things you're talking about. They won't ride with N2 because they can't place themselves in "A" group, so they wouldn't have nearly the same amount of street credibility...so they don't ride with N2.

I'm far from the fastest guy out there, but I'd have a real hard time believing you could actually hit any of those walls. Shenny is the Patriot course for Summit. Great small, technical course that will kick your ass physically and make you work on the fundamentals! You can still reach good speed on the back straight. It's fun keeping it pinned until that last crest and doing a power wheelie right before you're hard on the brakes to start turning in.

virtualsolitude

Otto Man. You are correct. I guess (well, I know now) that I drowned out my own opening comments which, btw, were positive about Shenny. I felt bad about publicly dissing that org and, in fact, contact the N2 admins to delete this 'negative' thread.

I need to watch what (and how) I write things online. :(

That said, Shenny is a kickass track for the reasons mentioned in your last paragraph.

mpusch

Micah
So everyone has pretty good feelings on Shenny? Might be doing it in September. I enjoy (or at least think I do, only done one track day) a track with a mix of fast and slow turns. That many exclusively tight turns doesn't get old?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Shenny is a fun track. Shenny is just about the most 50/50 track regarding left/right turns as you're gonna get.

Oh...sorry, you said tight turns, not right turns. LOL! Ok, well regarding that, I don't think it ever gets old. You just get tired. So if you're out of shape...it will let you know. Very quickly.

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
Was just there Sunday trying to get back into riding shape with Vinny. Had a great time despite packing up and leaving early. Definitely gave me a workout and as said before, it really helps to work on slower speed skills.