Thoughts???

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have recently had some problems with my transmission that has caused me to tinker some with my engine. Earlier today I pulled off my headers and found that one of the pipes is a different color than the other three. Does this mean one cylinder is not firing? I would assume they should all look alike. Let me know what you think.

If it was not firing I would think you would notice the lack of power amongst other things.

Looks to be running lean. Pull the plug as suggested and if the electrode is white ,its lean.

Since I have yet to own a fuel injected bike I can only recommend taking it to your local speedshop for work. But at least you cna tell them: "Hey, cylinder 3 is running really lean for some reason".

BZ

Unbroken13

I sent my injector to pro flo technologies... Had 3 injectors flowing less than 50%... Bike ran smooth just no power... Now it's a rocket... But if its lean there is only 2 real possibilities injector or vaccuum leak

stkr

The lighter colored pipe shows a lean condition. I would think it's probably a faulty injector. Pull the plugs, and you'll find that they will be colored the same. Maybe the injector nozzle/tip is clogged. The see if it's in the injector, or in the electronics, swap the injectors between cylinders 2 and 3, but keep the wiring on the correct cylinder. I would suggest using new plugs for the test due to discoloration of the old ones. Run the engine, and see if the problem moves to the other cylinder. If it moves, then it moved WITH the injector. If it stayed on the same cylinder, then it was NOT the injector.

One other way to check for a faulty injector, or a misfiring cylinder, is to run the engine, and mist water onto the exhaust. The one that's not firing will be cooler than the rest. A lazer thermometer can tell you this also. Since you have the pipes off, you already know which one it is.

Unbroken13

If the bike is more than a few year old the injector service could be considered maintenance.. Cost me 108 $ for all 4 shipped... Less than a week turn around....... Spray a little carb cleaner around the intake ports with the bike running... If its pulling air the rpms will change... If it doesn't then u know it's the injector...

Lonewrench

They all look rich as hell to me, the one you guys think looks lean looks mint! Being the engine guy I am I'd have to say the bike is way to rich from a tuning point of view. Another thing is this, Keep in mind if the motor hasn't had the fresh air system removed or dis abled you can see shit like this. Even if it hasnt been removed or modified you can still have issues where air that usually does not get into the exhaust port now does because of an air leak.Or maybe the bike was tuned without blocking off the pump. What I am trying to say is look at the issue with open eyes,and your bike is running rich not lean........

Unbroken13

Nice call lonewrench.... Guess I saw the one different and assumed it was the culprit instead of the other away around...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I don't disagree with you, Chuck, but if Jim were to get the A/F sorted, wouldnt that lead to a lean condition in that cylinder? All four should look the same, correct? Is the root cause a faulty injector leading to the "correct" mix?