Time to change tires?

akosi

I'm buying all the tools to change them and was wondering how much time it takes to swap and balance them. I am thinking about trying to use my tires I have on the bike for the next track day and if not I'll have spares but I don't want to be rushed swapping them.

Thanks!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Nobody can answer that until we know how you are changing the tires - with a harbor freight machine, real tire changer, No-Mar...etc

Goldie

Yea if you are using sticks and stones then give yourself at least a day or two and plenty of LUBE....Just sayin....

JGardy_781

I change my tires the old-fashioned way when I'm at home - spoons, manual bead breaker, static balancer, etc. I'm pretty quick with it, and have been doing it for more than a decade, and I'm probably down to about 45 mins to an hour for the full cycle per tire (pull from bike, remove tire, install new tire, balance, reinstall) - time varies mostly depending upon how much beer I drink during the change.

devildogae

JGardy_781;283808 wrote: I change my tires the old-fashioned way when I'm at home - spoons, manual bead breaker, static balancer, etc. I'm pretty quick with it, and have been doing it for more than a decade, and I'm probably down to about 45 mins to an hour for the full cycle per tire (pull from bike, remove tire, install new tire, balance, reinstall) - time varies mostly depending upon how much beer I drink during the change.
This is awesome!

akosi

Sorry about the lack of info but I am planning on buying a manual breaker, spools, and a static balancer. Any recommendations for brands/type.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Takes me an average of 15-20 minutes to change tires with my Harbor Freight machine. It works, but I'm lazy and despise manual labor. I will be buying a semi automatic tire machine in the year or so, and it'll reside in my trailer for trackside changes. Will I break even over the course of 4-5 years? Probably not if I don't change tires for anybody but me. Even if I don't, there's a huge convenience of not having to sit out a session or two waiting in line for the tire guy to get around to changing your tires.

some guy #2

I have the HF changer with a no-mar bar and the whole shebang from start to finish with 2 wheels is about an hour+.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Honestly..why not just let the tire vendor at the track do the swap with a tire purchase? It's free and a lot less effort.

Now if you still want to do it yourself, I'd suggest investing in the base level No-Mar. I love mine. And I use it to help all my local friends out with changes and flips. It does save some time/effort when you're at the track if you have your tires squared away before you get there.

JGardy_781

D-Zum;283954 wrote: Honestly..why not just let the tire vendor at the track do the swap with a tire purchase? It's free and a lot less effort.
I don't like to have to pull the bike apart at the track, if at all possible, and I'm too cheap to invest in better tools for something I only do a handful of times a year (or, perhaps, not cheap, rather, my disposable income is consumed largely by 2 boys and a spouse, leaving precious little for shiny new tools). The economics of the situation truly don't work out, really, if you were to consider my "hourly rate" elsewhere in life, so in reality, it "costs" a lot for the changes in terms of opportunity cost. I consider the garage time therapeutic, I guess.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
D-Zum;283954 wrote: Honestly..why not just let the tire vendor at the track do the swap with a tire purchase? It's free and a lot less effort.
Because I don't want to wait on 5-8 guys in front of me to get my tire changed
Because I like to arrive prepared, and refuse to be one of those guys that works on his bike up to the last minute before a session (On this subject, why do people change their oil over a weekend? Change it before you...arrive to the track?!?!)
Because I don't want to miss any sessions waiting on my tires get to get changed
Because $20 flips adds up extremely quick over the course of a couple of seasons
Because I can mount/balance tires at my own leisure. My tire changing services quit when I want to, not at the end of the track day.

;)

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
akosi;284109 wrote: I heard windex works as well whats your opinion?
I only use soap and water....on my aluminum wheels. I've never had a problem. But then again, I don't ride a 19 year old Ducati, so maybe I don't own my bikes long enough to see the long term side effects. :)

dbarufaldi

I don't remember ever using tire lube with spoons. With my current tire "machine" I use lots-o-lube....but I think you don't need it with spoons. Am I just misremembering?