Tire Changing Lesson

JayhawkInDC

Hi All,
Is there anyone withing 45 minutes of Silver Spring, MD that would be willing to help me learn how to change tires? I would really like to be able to do this myself (and get the tools to do it), but have no clue where to start.

It is worth some $$ or some brew to me!

Cheers,
D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Have you purchased any tools yet? If it's in your budget, go for a No Mar tire changer. I'd tried with a less expensive manual changer and it was a pain in the ass, I couldn't use it. The No Mar is a breeze by comparison. It comes with really good instructional videos, too!

There's a guy on here selling one...seems like a good price to me...
http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=12402

Matt H

If you have the equipment, I can show you how. Are you still looking for a place in the area for inexpensive tire mounting/changing?

JayhawkInDC

I haven't bought the tools yet since I have no idea what way is the best.

Matt, until I figure out what to do I will need someone to change them so any recs are appreciated

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I have a No-Mar...LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

The web site has instructional videos. That's how I learned to use it.

It's a bit of cash up front, but you'll NEVER regret it.

Balancing is pretty simple..a little practice with swagging how many weights you need based on how fast the tire's light point is rolling to the 0 degree mark takes a couple tries, then it's no big deal.

I buy my tires from within the NESBIAN Network (Track Day Store/Trackside Vendor), but I do my own mounting because I have Carrozzeria's on my bikes, but foremost I absolutely hate to have to take the wheels on and off at the track...just rather have them ready to go before I get to the event.

In fact, I'm about to go put new tires on my Suzuki 600 to get it set up to go to Barber next weekend. :D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What D-Zum said. I got a No Mar towards the end of last season and love it. Mount and balance fees at the dealers around here are 40 bucks a wheel off the bike. It's considerably cheaper or free at the track if you buy NESBA sponsored Dunlops, but I really hate rushing to get my wheels back on in the morning. The convenience factor alone is worth it. Also, I can find my best price on tires. I just mounted up a set of the new Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Trackday Pros. Can't wait to try 'em out!!

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I started out doing it the old fashioned way, on the floor with tire irons.

Then I made a copy of the Tire Stripper changer and use a No-Mar mount/demount bar. There's no comparison. I can now change and balance both wheels in the time it used to take just to get the old front tire off using irons.

Get one. You won't regret it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Fastguy;121332 wrote: Hey Judy,

Do you need to purchase a seperate wheel balancer with the changer pictured in the link?
Yeah, you need to purchase a wheel balancer. You mean the link to the guy on here selling one? Unless he has the balancer, yeah, you'd need to buy that. I didn't notice that in his ad. I think the No Mar brand is around a hundred. When I got mine, No Mar was offering a package deal with free shipping, they do that sometimes. I mounted mine to a plywood platform I built. Gonna need to beef it up some, but I didn't want to permanently anchor it to the floor. Works fine. No hitch mount for me, I like having it done before I get to the track!

Tony A

Jayhawk,
if you want to dbl your travel time, i can show you, and make you a great deal on some of the tools you need to do it with irons, I recently went to a hybrid no mar, so i have manual items.

Twiztedjester55

If you bring the wheels to me I can mount them at my shop, but I haven't got a balancer for bike wheels yet. My shop is right up the road from you.