Tire Guru compound advice needed...

Redlining52

I'm looking for some advice from some people who know more about tires and compound choice than myself. I'll be running R10s on Summit Main for Friday and I have both a Type 3 Mediem and Type 2 Hard rear tire to choose from. Just trying to determine what compound would be better to run for that track surface and the temps for that day. Right now it is looking like it is going to be mostly sunny with highs in the mid 80s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Below is really the only information I was able to find about the compound choice.

* Type2 (Hard): High Track Temps and/or Abrasive Surface
(Minimum Track Temp - 15 Celsius/59 Farenheit)
* Type3 (Medium): Low to High Track Temp and/or Smooth Surface - Good for most conditions
(Maximum Track Temp - 50 Celsius/122 Farenheit)

Redlining52

Macon663;209187 wrote: Use the medium you got from me. Should offer more grip.

Ok will do. When is the ideal time to use that Type 2? I got that from Quentin the last track day cause thats all he had, wasnt sure if i was going to need a new tire so I bought it just incase.

Macon663

I might use a type 2 for an endurance race or as a trackday tire to mess around on, but other than that, i wouldn't use it at all.

I'd be looking for the softer tires actually. The type 4s. When I used 003's, I preferred the 4's to the 3s. But I think the 3 is all they make at the moment.

sobottka

i have no experience with these tires and know nothing about their compounds but generally speaking you use harder tires in cold weather and softer ones when hot. seems backwards? well soft tires usually cold tear in cold weather and harder tires hold up better in cold conditions. softer tires are used when hot to avoid the greasy feeling you get when harder tires overheat. hope this helps ;)

jsin38

sobottka;209271 wrote: i have no experience with these tires and know nothing about their compounds but generally speaking you use harder tires in cold weather and softer ones when hot. seems backwards? well soft tires usually cold tear in cold weather and harder tires hold up better in cold conditions. softer tires are used when hot to avoid the greasy feeling you get when harder tires overheat. hope this helps ;)
That makes sense. Thanks for putting it down so simply :cheers: