Tire pressure help needed

seandmassey

Can anyone help me out here (experts preferably)? I just picked up some power one’s and Power race tires and need to know what the hot tire pressure should be on a 1000cc. Temp should be 65-70 deg at Road ATL. Yes I do have warmers.

120/70 Power One:
190/55 Power One:
120/70 Power Race:
190/55 Power Race:

sobottka

22-25 rear/30-33 front cold for both kinds of tires. i set mine in the morning and leave the warmers off during lunch to let the tires cool then re-set pressure. i ran 22/30 cold. the hot pressure i ran is 27.5 rear and 35 front. use the cold pressure since thats what michelin does

chaun

sobottka;116400 wrote: 22-25 rear/30-33 front cold for both kinds of tires. i set mine in the morning and leave the warmers off during lunch to let the tires cool then re-set pressure. i ran 22/30 cold. the hot pressure i ran is 27.5 rear and 35 front. use the cold pressure since thats what michelin does
:agree:

I'm running this on the R6 (180 rear):

Front: 30-31 psi cold
Rear: 22 psi cold

geckert

I have the PR's and am going to use them for the 1st time next week. Ive always ran the pilotpowers 2ct at 30-35psi on both tires. What kind of difference will 10 less psi make on the rear with the PR? Will it feel very different than the 2CT's at 30ish psi.

sobottka

pilot powers should be run at about 28 rear 32 front cold. plus there totally different tires and (depending on your pace) should feel different. running 8-10 pounds too much air will seriously affect grip

geckert

Cool. Ive never had grip problems running at 35 psi on the powers, I ran them at that pressure because I really had no clue what to set them at. Ill run the power races at 22 and see what kind of grip improvments I gain.

NickMcCoy

geckert;116804 wrote: Cool. Ive never had grip problems running at 35 psi on the powers, I ran them at that pressure because I really had no clue what to set them at. Ill run the power races at 22 and see what kind of grip improvments I gain.
Good thing you got that information before you went out because 30+ would have been really bad. Race tires are different and most require lower pressures for the rear. With the Michelin rears you basically never want to be much off from 22, this is where they work best. I use 22/30 r/f for Michelin race tires and 30/30-32 for Pilot Powers.

geckert

How do the Power Races wear on a 600? I run a good I pace, consistent 1:25's at summit. I was planning on doing a weekend at NJMP and 2 Races with this set and wondering if I should get another just incase I wear them out at NJMP.

chaun

I think the wear pretty good... I've done 3.5 track days on a set (med. compound). Still wouldn't hurt to have a backup set, you're going to use them eventually.

sobottka

geckert;116944 wrote: How do the Power Races wear on a 600? I run a good I pace, consistent 1:25's at summit. I was planning on doing a weekend at NJMP and 2 Races with this set and wondering if I should get another just incase I wear them out at NJMP.
depends on the compound. are they marked med, med-soft or soft? or maybe c, d or e? or maybe pr3, pr4 or pr5?

geckert

They are mediums. Ill but another set anyway. Kinda pissed I didnt get more when they were 200 a set delivered. :(

sobottka

those were the "commercially available" race tire and we didnt race on that compound (i have no experience with this compound) but you should be fine and they should wear very good

900FE

I just checked the website & you can still get power race medium 120/70 f & 180/55 r from the other track org, don't know if that is the right size rear for you.

sobottka

900FE;117038 wrote: I just checked the website & you can still get power race medium 120/70 f & 180/55 r from the other track org, don't know if that is the right size rear for you.
true, but these weren't the preferred tire to race on (or track day on) back in 2005/06 when the pr series was new. hard to recommend now.
the compounds i would recommend are the c front the med soft, pr5, pr3, d or e rears. wear will vary depending on compound.
if you carry a good A pace, try to stay away from pr2 or pr1 fronts and the medium, pr4 or soft rears

900FE

sobottka;117049 wrote: these weren't the preferred tire to race on (or track day on) back in 2005/06 when the pr series was new.
I think the medium are good enough for me at mid I pack pace........... right :eek:

NCDave

seandmassey;116392 wrote: Can anyone help me out here (experts preferably)? I just picked up some power one’s and Power race tires and need to know what the hot tire pressure should be on a 1000cc. Temp should be 65-70 deg at Road ATL. Yes I do have warmers.

120/70 Power One:
190/55 Power One:
120/70 Power Race:
190/55 Power Race:
I ran 120/180s at Roebling last month. I used 30 front and 24 rear cold pressures. Seemed to work ok. I didn't use warmers for either and the Race looks blue on the edges from the heat cycles after just one day of sessions. Since I don't use warmers, I won't run the Race again. I'll probably go back to 2CTs, but if I get a deal on Power One front/rear, I may use that.

sobottka

900FE;117057 wrote: I think the medium are good enough for me at mid I pack pace........... right :eek:
thats what I was trying to say

NCDave;117073 wrote:
I ran 120/180s at Roebling last month. I used 30 front and 24 rear cold pressures. Seemed to work ok. I didn't use warmers for either and the Race looks blue on the edges from the heat cycles after just one day of sessions. Since I don't use warmers, I won't run the Race again. I'll probably go back to 2CTs, but if I get a deal on Power One front/rear, I may use that.
the blueing means nothing, I dont care what whoever says, it means nothing and it doesnt have anything to do with warmers even if the blueing pattern mimics your warmers heating element. i've used new ones that were blue.
some compounds (d and e) need heat to grip even a little bit and thats why warmers are recommended, if you are a B or I group guy it probably doesn't really matter what compound you are on.