Tire Warmer Question

DB_ZX10r

I've been recently contemplating getting tire warmers and a generator and have three questions.

1) During early morning sessions when the track is cold and you use tire warmers doesn't the cold track suck out the heat from the tires?

2) From the time the tire warmers are removed, and you line up in pit-out approx how much temp are you losing by the time you hit the track? I hear of guys talking about going full-out into turn one but that seems a bit dangerous.

3) Chicken hawk tire warmers has 3 different set-ups, the ones with no temp adjustment, the ones with 3 general temps, and the ones with temperature settings. Are the middle of the road warmers with the general temp settings sufficient?

Friction will over compensate only if you go fast. But yes the wind will pull more heat out sitting waiting (for the crash truck) than cold pavement so you should time it right if you can. If you do go out after sitting for 3 minutes your core carcass is up to temperature... where just the outside has started to cool. So go out on your warm up lap like in I group and try to carry some speed in the turns without spinning up the rear. ie. don't get hard on the gas.

I have chicken hawks and hardly ever use any setting other than high unless its lunch time. Maybe then I go to medium setting.

Defiantly get warmers and flip for good race tires. The trick I found is to purchase the same tires too. Many of us flip between nesba and stt thus flip tires w/ the track day. Thats not a good idea unless your a seasoned racer and can read your tire quickly.

My two cents... anyone care to chime in or correct me?

Buckwild

1.) Tire warmers are a good insurance policy and will legnthen the life of your tires.

2.) If you sit on a cold track, then yes the tire will cool. Keep in mind you're generating heat with tire flex, so riding will maintain / create heat for you.

3.) The heat you lose between your pit and pit out is minimal most times. Take your time to get up to speed and you're good.

4.) You don't *need* an expensive warmer, but keep in mind you get what you pay for.

5.) Check with your tire vendor for correct pressures (Hot & cold) and preferred temp settings.

gpnpike

Are tire warmers useful for every level tire? ie. street-DOT-slicks?

I will have a set of bt003rs for a trackday coming up. I was wandering if I should pick up a set of warmers with it getting later in the season (cooler temps). But then again, I am only riding in B group? Think it is worth it?

Drewbie

gpnpike;88493 wrote: Are tire warmers useful for every level tire? ie. street-DOT-slicks?

I will have a set of bt003rs for a trackday coming up. I was wandering if I should pick up a set of warmers with it getting later in the season (cooler temps). But then again, I am only riding in B group? Think it is worth it?
Dont waste your money on warmers. Buy another track day with that money, it will do you more good.

moto_mx131

Drewbie;88499 wrote: Dont waste your money on warmers. Buy another track day with that money, it will do you more good.

I agree especially if you are going to be running the 003 RS's they will heat up fast just be easy for a lap or two and everything will be fine.

Landshark

Control Rider
gpnpike;88493 wrote: Are tire warmers useful for every level tire? ie. street-DOT-slicks?

Have to concur with Drew on this. Those tires and your group would be a waste of money on warmers. Heck any group and those tires would be a waste.

gpnpike

Landshark;88593 wrote: Have to concur with Drew on this. Those tires and your group would be a waste of money on warmers. Heck any group and those tires would be a waste.
Should I look for a different set? I know I'm only in B group, but I am aggressive and like to push myself in everything I do. That's the reason I don't want to ride on the road anymore. What you think?

Slowninja

I'm kind of in the same boat. I will hopefully be able to run 8-10 events next year and don't know what tire to use. I am a new track rider but i know i will ride pretty aggresively. I'm thinking about starting on DOT race tires so i will be able to use them when i get faster.

gkotlin

Slowninja;88616 wrote: I'm kind of in the same boat. I will hopefully be able to run 8-10 events next year and don't know what tire to use. I am a new track rider but i know i will ride pretty aggresively. I'm thinking about starting on DOT race tires so i will be able to use them when i get faster.
I've used my warmers twice in 3 years at track days. Just start using a good DOT / trackday tire. Warmers aren't necessary. Just give them a lap or two in the early sessions to come up to temp. Todays tires are very good. They're even much better then tires of 3 years ago. Your not going to completely outride a tires capabilities. The benefit you get in better tires is more margin for error. You may have more grip then you need, but if you get on the gas to hard, the tire will have more grip to help account for your error. Same thing on cornering. While your skills develop, you may not have the smooth part down. So the few times you make abrupt inputs to get the bike where you intended, the tires may be able to compensate.

Will tire warmers help. Sure. If it's not cold out, you can put them on and go into the first corner at full pace. They will help extend the life of your tire a bit. Typically we use up tires before they age or heat cycle to death. Everything is relative. A new B group rider isn't asking nearly as much of his tire as an A rider is. The A rider doesn't push tires near as hard as a World Superbike Racer. Keep it simple to start out. If you get warmers, you also need stands, extension cords, pay for power or carry a generator etc. So if your just getting started, don't go in over your head. Yes, your the fastest of your friends on the street. We all were. But you're "pushing" envelope is relative as well. Come out, get some experience and see what you really need. Anything more is just to give you peace of mind. Which may be the biggest benefit you can have. But you'll figure that out with time.

The other thing for new riders is to pick a tire and stick with it! You can't learn how a tire performs, wears and "talks" to you if your always trying out new tires. Get a tire you like from the trackside vendor and stick with it. Setup your bike and learn to ride and hear how the tires feel as you progress. Stay with new fresh tires and not someones old hard take offs.

ERB68

Slowninja;88616 wrote: I'm kind of in the same boat. I will hopefully be able to run 8-10 events next year and don't know what tire to use. I am a new track rider but i know i will ride pretty aggresively. I'm thinking about starting on DOT race tires so i will be able to use them when i get faster.
There are good tires out there that you can ride up to a mid :a: pace. Pirelli DC III's or the new Bridgestones. They last longer and are less expensive.

Just hit up the Turn One Racing guys for tires at the track if you feel the need.

gpnpike

Kotlin, Thanks for the input. I'm ready for that next level of rush, so to the track I go! I'm gonna rock these RS's for now and just go with it. See you all at the track!

Slowninja

gkotlin;88623 wrote: I've used my warmers twice in 3 years at track days. Just start using a good DOT / trackday tire. Warmers aren't necessary. Just give them a lap or two in the early sessions to come up to temp. Todays tires are very good. They're even much better then tires of 3 years ago. Your not going to completely outride a tires capabilities. The benefit you get in better tires is more margin for error. You may have more grip then you need, but if you get on the gas to hard, the tire will have more grip to help account for your error. Same thing on cornering. While your skills develop, you may not have the smooth part down. So the few times you make abrupt inputs to get the bike where you intended, the tires may be able to compensate.

Will tire warmers help. Sure. If it's not cold out, you can put them on and go into the first corner at full pace. They will help extend the life of your tire a bit. Typically we use up tires before they age or heat cycle to death. Everything is relative. A new B group rider isn't asking nearly as much of his tire as an A rider is. The A rider doesn't push tires near as hard as a World Superbike Racer. Keep it simple to start out. If you get warmers, you also need stands, extension cords, pay for power or carry a generator etc. So if your just getting started, don't go in over your head. Yes, your the fastest of your friends on the street. We all were. But you're "pushing" envelope is relative as well. Come out, get some experience and see what you really need. Anything more is just to give you peace of mind. Which may be the biggest benefit you can have. But you'll figure that out with time.

The other thing for new riders is to pick a tire and stick with it! You can't learn how a tire performs, wears and "talks" to you if your always trying out new tires. Get a tire you like from the trackside vendor and stick with it. Setup your bike and learn to ride and hear how the tires feel as you progress. Stay with new fresh tires and not someones old hard take offs.

There is some good advice in here. I was kind of thinking along those lines, if i can get extra grip why not take it? I really liked the set of pilot powers i had on my old R6. Are the bridgestones the taller type profile? I just really liked the quick turn in of the powers compaired to the 208's i had on it.

gkotlin;88623 wrote: I've used my warmers twice in 3 years at track days. Just start using a good DOT / trackday tire. Warmers aren't necessary. Just give them a lap or two in the early sessions to come up to temp. Todays tires are very good. They're even much better then tires of 3 years ago. Your not going to completely outride a tires capabilities. The benefit you get in better tires is more margin for error. You may have more grip then you need, but if you get on the gas to hard, the tire will have more grip to help account for your error. Same thing on cornering. While your skills develop, you may not have the smooth part down. So the few times you make abrupt inputs to get the bike where you intended, the tires may be able to compensate.

Greg, thanks for this post! It answered a lot of questions that I had, even the ones that I didn't think of yet.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
gpnpike;88639 wrote: I'm ready for that next level of rush, so to the track I go! I'm gonna rock these RS's for now and just go with it. See you all at the track!
Get your tires from your NESBA trackside vendor. They come to support you, so support them.

To Quote the Southeast Director, Mr. Brian Johnson last year at VIR Full:

"This is high speed chess, not an adrenaline sport."

Appreciate the enthusiasm more than you know...but just take a deep breath and just let it all come to you gradually. You don't try to bench press 500 pounds your first day on a guest pass at Gold's Gym. Same with the track.

Come to learn and have fun. This environment is different than anywhere you've ever ridden before. Make sure your bike, body, and mind are in the best possible condition. This sport will challenge you in every way.

Aggression can lead to bad things...patience and an open mind will be infinitely rewarded.

Control Riders are your best friends and teachers.