Titanium Exhaust + burning lower = Need suggestions

apch8r

For those of you that have titanium full systems, what do you do to control the exhaust from burning your lowers. I am having trouble with the headers/mid pipe burning my lower in a couple of sections, and with getting new bodywork I don't want this to occur with the new set. I have looked at trying to use exhaust wrap and some of the thermo shield / adhesive heat barriers but all of them say NOT for use with titanium exhausts. So if anyone has any insight on the best product to go about getting to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Mikey75702

I haven't needed it since I wrapped my stainless exhaust, but I bought some stick on dei thermal shielding I was going to adhere to the fiberglass. The little bit of heat retention that will cause in the ti pipes shouldnt do anything. From what I understand you just can't ceramic coat/wrap ti exhaust because the increased exhaust system heat will ruin the pipes, I have never heard of a problem from aluminum shielding at ti pipe touching.

Mikey75702

I actually bought it from autozone... my local one carried it... I think it was like $30... jegs carries it too, i will see if i can find a link.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I also lined my belly pan with that stuff. My exhaust is steel, though, but it's kept the bodywork from melting.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I've used the heat shielding material from Jegs and exhaust wrap on my last three exhaust systems. All of them were Ti systems. I had a Ti Force exhaust on my current bike that broke at the welds, but the wrap was not surrounding that area. I had a burn though on my current lower and I made a large cutout and refiberglassed the area with a slight bump built into it. Seems to be working well. I know of one guy that just cut out a hole and let his exhaust pipe extend through the hole. It was on the side of the lower, so it still would hold fluid if needed.