Too heavy?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, but to get it working optimally for you, you may need to change springs/shock. Have a reputable suspension place sort it out for you.

kmallein

My worry is spending thousands to get a track bike set up for me to find out if I would of went with a bigger bike it would of cost less. I don't have that money tree and want to stick to total of 4 grand to get started.

bluers

4k is a fair budget and should get you something pretty decent. You can find 600's for that if you are patient. I bought mine for 2k. Street bike with no plastics or tank. Already had a set of race plastics that I had been swapping on my street bike so I was good to go! Got a grand total of about $2300 in my 06 GSXR 600! I'm cheap, but patient!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
kmallein;288640 wrote: My worry is spending thousands to get a track bike set up for me to find out if I would of went with a bigger bike it would of cost less. I don't have that money tree and want to stick to total of 4 grand to get started.
1) There is nothing cheap about this sport...regardless which steed you choose
2) A bigger bike wouldn't cost any less to get you set up. Actually, as CC's increase, cost does accordingly. Fuel, tire consumption (Liter bikes will eat tires up over a 650/600), etc
3) SV650 is going to be your cheapest option without question

Even if you'd find a liter bike sprung to your weight already, the cheaper SV that you'd have to pay money for to get suspension work done is still going to be far cheaper in the long run. Say you run 10 track days in a year. Compare the tire usage of a liter bike vs a 650, fuel, parts cost, etc etc. SV is going to be way cheaper in the long run. What I recommend is finding SV suspension already sprung to your needs, and just swap forks/shock. It will be cheaper and easier.

You don't need top of the line suspension just starting out. And it's not going to be a deal breaker if you don't have the optimal springs. Have Chuck work with what you got suspension wise, and go have fun. I finished my first WERA weekend and I never even had time to get the base suspension set up. I raced it as-is. Had no clue what the hell it was set at, and still didn't do half bad.

Most important thing to do is get out there and get some seat time. The seat time will tell you what you need to upgrade next.

Hambone

kmallein;288640 wrote: My worry is spending thousands to get a track bike set up for me to find out if I would of went with a bigger bike it would of cost less. I don't have that money tree and want to stick to total of 4 grand to get started.
Nah! Don't worry about that. That bike will hold up just fine. You can always do upgrades when you feel things degrading but 4 grand should get you out there just fine. As said earlier, this isn't a cheap sport. While you can get started relatively inexpensively, you should be aware that none of this stuff is for the tight of wallet. My advice: DO IT!!!

rmadursk

Weight not a problem

kmallein;288634 wrote: I am 5'7 210 or so. Is an sv650 going to take my weight?
Sure, I'm 5'10" and about 215. Bought one setup for my weight by the guy that built it. The bike is WAY more capable than I am so I have plenty of room to grow into.

There is one for sale now from a guy in VA that is very close to what I am currently riding. Mine's and 02 his might be an 01. I think he is asking around $3200 for it, ready to ride.

Have fun,

Ron

mike574

I'm 6.2 250lbs and I ride an SV. My SV is basicaly stock other than stiffer springs in the forks and a 08 ZX6r shock in the rear. With that set up I managed a 2nd and 2 thirds last weekend at the CCS races at NJMP. So no you are not to heavy for an SV. Did I forget to mention SV's are a sh!t load of run to ride, I tend to ride my SV more then my ZX6 it just handles so well.

BlueMax

mike574;288685 wrote: I'm 6.2 250lbs and I ride an SV. My SV is basicaly stock other than stiffer springs in the forks and a 08 ZX6r shock in the rear. With that set up I managed a 2nd and 2 thirds last weekend at the CCS races at NJMP. So no you are not to heavy for an SV. Did I forget to mention SV's are a sh!t load of run to ride, I tend to ride my SV more then my ZX6 it just handles so well.
Mike can haul the mail on an SV. :wow:

BlueMax

ceptorman;288687 wrote: A properly setup SV650 will do you fine. It's not about the weight or the HP, it's about technique.
One of many reasons Mike is faster than me on the SV. 168lbs verse 250lbs on an SV and he is still faster than me. :banghead: