Too much wheel weight??

Eddie

Am I being paranoid?
Just put a new Dunlop Q3 on the rear of an 07 R6, getting ready for upcoming track day.
The wheel took 1 7/8 oz's to balance out.
Is almost 2 oz's too much??
I only have 1/8oz weights, so it took 15 of them. Maybe it just looks worse than it is?
Any input would be much appreciated.
Going to do the front tomorrow.
thanks!!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
As long as the balancer rod isn't bent or anything like that, you're fine. Sounds like you just got the heaviest part of the rim oriented on the same spot as the heaviest spot of the tire. If you really wanted to, you could probably break the beads and rotate the tire 180 on the rim, and it'd require a lot less weight to balance.

tdelegram

Control Rider
If I remember correctly there is a colored dot on the tire the should be situated close to the valve stem to minimize balancing weights.

Eddie

I believe you are right.
I went with the commonly accepted method of placing the tire dot at the valve stem.
I believe the tire dot is the light spot on the tire and the theory is that the valve stem is the heavy spot on the rim.
The funny thing is, all of the weight was placed exactly at the tire dot, valve stem.
Maybe I should balance the rim itself next time I have it off.
Is it possible that the valve stem is actually the light spot on my rim??
That would be along the lines of Otto's theory, and I would have placed the heavy spot on the rim on the heavy spot of the tire.
I just don't have a lot of experience to draw from as far as how much weight is indicative of another underlying problem.
If you guys say 1 7/8 is not excessive, I'm good with it.
I'll balance the front rim by itself today.
thanks!!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It won't be 100% perfect all the time, but I do what you said - balanced the wheel itself with no tire, then just mounted tires and rode on it. I used to be super careful about balancing the tires each time I mounted them. Then I went this method and haven't gone back. Everyone once in a while, I'll get a tire ever so slightly out of balance that I can feel. And you'll know if it's the front (feel it in the clips ons) or the rear (feel it through the seat), but I've never had one bad enough that I thought was too bad.

I do typically take the time to balance the front tire the "proper" way, since the fronts last so much longer than the rears, I'd rather not be annoyed by a slight vibration in the bars for the length of time the front tire is on there.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have balanced my rims before without a tire and the heavy spot was never right on the valve. It was close, but a few inches off to the side. I painted a red dot on the rim to remind me where the heavy spot is located. I would probably break the bead and rotate the tire as well and try again.

mpusch

Micah
I went through the same situation a year ago, though I can't remember exactly how much weight it was. Ended up breaking the bead and starting over again.

JFS811

When this happens you can try rotating the tire 180 degrees on the rim and see if that resolves the issue.