Towing with a 4 cyl.

riddler

I wanted to chime in... even though most may have already been said.

In general you will want to be light because the tow rating for the vehicle is probably 1500 - 1800 lbs. The biggest issue is the extra load on the trans and brakes. But if you stay light, should be no problem. Keep in mind the position of the bike relative to the axel. You don't want to be too far forward, tongue weight can become a concern.

I used a Neon (manual trans) for years. My trailer was a 4X6 snow bear utility trailer with a slight mod to the front to get the bike to fit. Got the trailer at home depot assembled for just over $500. I like the trailer over the rail type cause of the lift gate making loading/unloading really easy. Still the trailer weighs less than 300 lbs.

Also, there are tons of places around that will sell you a hitch and install it with wiring for approx $270.

All that said, I recently upgraded to a Charger with a Hemi... still using the same trailer.

rk97

geckert;72640 wrote: Thanks for all the info guys! I will be heading down to lowes to check out a trailer tomorrow.
did drew and katie sell their 5x8? it would be a tad further than Lowes, but you'd save a bunch...

Chola

Prius

I actually pull the trailer, generator, gear,...etc with my Prius (I'm sure many of you have seen me and laughed at it). Just make sure you buy a fairly light trailer. I bought one at Harbor Freight Tools that requires assembly and it has been working beautifully for over 2 years.

jfeagin

I've got one of those kit trailers. They are actually very good, though you need a ramp to load up. I don't use mine to tow because the People's Republic of Maryland doesn't want to give me a title, etc. So I reconfigured it into a work bench... :D

Blaise

geckert;72640 wrote: Thanks for all the info guys! I will be heading down to lowes to check out a trailer tomorrow.

FYI!!!!

You can't just buy a trailer from Lowe's, it will not have a title and you can't just plate it in PA. You will have a lengthy/expensive inspection/titling process to go through (6-8 weeks).

I strongly recommend you buy a used titled trailer.

rk97

NJ (and Ohio) is(are) pretty strict with vehicle laws.

we should both get more acquainted with the looser states, for trailers, bikes w/o titles, etc. Someone made a claim they could get my bike titled, and i've got ZERO chance at that in Ohio... MO doesn't even laminate drivers licenses. FL doesn't require MC insurance. AZ drivers licenses are good from age 16 to age 50 or something silly like that, and apparently WI doesn't consider single-axle trailers registration/insurance-worthy.

live and learn.

surfercc

Control Rider
Blaise;72782 wrote: FYI!!!!

You can't just buy a trailer from Lowe's, it will not have a title and you can't just plate it in PA. You will have a lengthy/expensive inspection/titling process to go through (6-8 weeks).

I strongly recommend you buy a used titled trailer.
I bought a crappy trailer from lowes. They have the titles in their main office, and they send a manager out to transfer the title as soon as you pay the cashier. 45 min. and I was a legal beagle towing my bike in Pennsylvania.

I think what Blaise meant was you can't just buy a trailer from Harbor Freight and drive it that week. Any trailer you have to assemble will require a lengthy inspection and titling process through the state of PA to get tags and reg. I can't say for any other state...

Blaise

NJ is strict?

My trailer has an NJ plate in my dad's name. He's never even seen the trailer, he just went to the DMV and said, 'hey I have a trailer, I need a plate.'

Bam, done. $22/year. Sent me the plate via mail.

Blaise

surfercc;72813 wrote: I bought a crappy trailer from lowes. They have the titles in their main office, and they send a manager out to transfer the title as soon as you pay the cashier. 45 min. and I was a legal beagle towing my bike in Pennsylvania.
Mark me surprised. I could have sworn Lowe's only had MCOs for their trailers. That's great.

jfeagin

Blaise;72817 wrote: Mark me surprised. I could have sworn Lowe's only had MCOs for their trailers. That's great.
Lowe's only has the certificate of origin. But when they sign it over to you, that should be all the DMV (MVA in MD) requires to register and plate the trailer because Lowe's is a licensed dealer. And trailers sold fully assembled don't require any post-purchase inspection.

If you buy used, be absolutely sure you're getting a clean title. Or a signed-over certificate of origin, previous owner's registration, or at least a notarized bill of sale. At least one of these things is necessary in a title state, sometimes more. I've learned way more than I wanted to know from our lovely MVA personnel. :doh: