Towing with a small car

jay956

so it seems like the consensus is that it is possible and safe to tow a bike with my car, but only with a lightweight trailer, a rental would be too heavy.

EDFZ1

I tow my gixxer on a harbor freight 4X8 open trailer with a Subaru WRX 5 speed. I only do like 4 to 5 track days a year. I don't usually go too far though. And yeah I spread the weight around.

I've done it about 3 or 4 years and so far so good.

92illpony

met a guy at VIR earlier in the year that pulled his bike on a harbor freight trailer with his bike, generator and some ramps i think with his prius. If a prius can pull a trailer anything will. I think he said he got like 35mpg with it.

BonesDT

A guy next to me at a TD had the Trailer in a Bag towed by a Subie. My net is mad slow so I won't find you a link. I'm sure it's lighter than any other option and it will stow in your trunk when not in use. Def your best bet for a small car (keeping things as light as possible). However it's very expensive.

Even with that trailer though, if you're going to do a lot of TDs, it's going to get tough packing all your aquired gear (esp a canopy) in your car.

An option I tossed around for a while was picking up a mega cheap small used Uhaul box truck (you can find them for 3 digits), but insuring it will be the catch.

ontheR6

BonesDT;87727 wrote: A guy next to me at a TD had the Trailer in a Bag towed by a Subie. My net is mad slow so I won't find you a link. I'm sure it's lighter than any other option and it will stow in your trunk when not in use. Def your best bet for a small car (keeping things as light as possible). However it's very expensive.

Even with that trailer though, if you're going to do a lot of TDs, it's going to get tough packing all your aquired gear (esp a canopy) in your car.

An option I tossed around for a while was picking up a mega cheap small used Uhaul box truck (you can find them for 3 digits), but insuring it will be the catch.

:agree:

I am a guy that has the same tongue weight and towing capacity problem, get ready for this,

I tow my R6 with a YARIS
, yes the toy car!!!! :eek:

I think the bike and the trailer weigh more than the car.....

It has a towing weight of 850lbs or 5 adults,
i use trailer in a bag, it weighs 140 lbs, check it out - it works for me. bike bout 400lbs,
i distribute the rest of the gear throughout the car, no gas in the bike and very little gas in the car when towing.
live in NOVA and have taken the bike to NJMP and summit many times and once to Beavrun.
i try to stop and rest the car for 10 min every time i need to refill for gas. car does normal highway speeds and i get about 35mpg if not more.
i don't use the AC when towing cause you actually feel the car struggle when in use.

Cons-
Pricy trailer compared to the others mentioned above (i got mine used for $800)
Can't use trailer for other gear unless you modify the trailer.
No suspension (doesn't bother me though)
This is not the ideal setup for the track junkie, ideal would be an enclosed trailer with AC

Pros-
Light, but very strong!
The thing comes apart and can be stored away in the trunk of my yaris!!
I usually keep the bike on the trailer and back it up into the garage (2 car garage).
Take it apart in colder months and park car in garage!!
Ease of use

This is how i was able to work around my weight limitation. Would love to have an enclosed trailer with AC and have all my gear in it ready to go, but that's a financial commitment i can't make:poorguy:
Let me know if you have any questions about my setup.

Blueberry

Jay,
To your original question I think you'll be fine with the rental trailer and bike for 1-2 days this year. You'll be right around the 1,000 lb capacity most folks suggest for an unrated vehicle. So just take it easy when you're driving; try to minimize hard brakes/acceleration and go the speed limit. For next season as you've heard there are several trailer options that will work well with a non-rated sedan.

I have an '03 Accord that has at least 20 trips under her belt with the bike in tow over the last 3 seasons. Most of the trips were ~ 1.5 hrs to Summit with a few longer 3-5 hr trips in there to NJ/VIR/Beav. The trailer I found is bigger (~250 lbs) than the hitch-in-a-bag type, smaller than a utility trailer, folds up nice in the garage when not in use. I got it used on craigslist for ~$600. I went with a motorcycle specific trailer to ensure proper weight distribution and minimize tongue weight but a well sorted utility trailer probably has better functionality.

http://www.rocketmotorcycletrailers.com/

Good luck!

just buy a bigger vehicle... econo van 350 and a covered tandem axle trailer... like this 8x20
8ftblueblack.jpg

My 6 cylinder truck can't pull hardly anything either.

what thread was that where dudes in Europe cut out their car roof to make room for the bike?

jay956

design-engine;88189 wrote: just buy a bigger vehicle... econo van 350 and a covered tandem axle trailer... like this 8x20
8ftblueblack.jpg

My 6 cylinder truck can't pull hardly anything either.

what thread was that where dudes in Europe cut out their car roof to make room for the bike?
ill get right on it. let me just go win the lottery

itaintall

Meat;87034 wrote: Right now I work for D3 technologies. I am presently doing stress analysis on the CH53K helicopter for the Marines. It is a major redesign.

I like doing fighters the most (spent a lot of time on the initial design (AA1) and the 3 variants of the F35 in Texas (2 times - Lockheed) and Los Angeles (1 time - Northrop Grumman). I have also worked on some biz jet and commercial but I don't really like it much.

Fighters are like Formula 1 and commercial is like designing and analyzing a bus. Carrying bombs and missles supersonic is so much more manly than carrying smelly people. :wow:
Meat, Being a smelly person that works for a biz jet company, I resemble that remark

meanstrk

Control Rider
Here is what I use when I am not pulling the enclosed. This is primarily for one day events or when the wife does not go.....

On the trailer:
Track bike
Pit bike
Fuel cans
Generator
Stands
EZ-Up

In the car:
Tool box
Cot
Sleeping bag
Leathers (gloves, helmets etc...)
Camera equipment
380 protection device
Cooler
Chow
Misc crap...

This set up has been tested to 120MPH!

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

jimmeigs

I've been pulling my R6 and a single rail trailer for three years with my '04 Acura RSX with no issues. I bought a used Trailer in a Bag which weighs around 140 pounds, installed a class one Rigid brand hitch and can pull it all at 75 or 80 mph and get around 30 mpg.

I get everything I need for a track weekend in the RSX with the rear seats down and regularly do 20 to 30 track days a year, some local and some more than 300 miles away.

I also load up and pull my 700 lb. BMW to service with the setup, again with no issues.

I like my "minimalist" approach. My carbon footprint is pretty small, I save a ton on gas and the RSX is fun to drive, even with the bike behind. One of these days I'll take some photos of all the stuff I get in the vehicle for a track weekend. It's pretty amazing and includes EZ Up, front and rear stands, tires, gas, tent, camping gear, leathers, gloves, and helmet, large tool box, small tool box, couple plastic boxes holding misc. gear, cooler and lots of other stuff.

I have had zero issues with the brakes, other than normal replacement of pads. I have 120,000 miles on the RSX and have changed brake pads only once.

I had the hitch installed by the distributor, no welding required and he wired it all up for me as well for aroung $100.00. I think the hitch ran about $130.00.

Here's a link to Rigid Hitch:

http://www.rigidhitch.com/default.aspx?Page=Home

Go for it!