Toyhauler in DC gas share!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Another NESBIAN who's addiction has taken him to past the point of no return.

Welcome to the Toy Hauler Club. I got a 27-foot tow-behind in July from the dealership right outside VIR.

After six seasons of sleeping in cots, air mattresses, back seat of the truck, etc..with no A/C in Summer and no heat in early Spring and Fall, it's SO nice to wake up in a bed before registration/tech with the coffee just freshly brewed, nuke some oatmeal, and get the day started. Evenings you spend in the recliner watching a DVD with friends enjoying a cold one from the fridge.

You're going to love it. Track days are not only exciting because of the track time, but you get a reason to use your new home away from home.

trekuhl

Control Rider
are you going to jennings late feb? may be interested in ride share.

and darrin, who are YOU kidding. its like you wrote a love letter to me above. yes i will ride in your toyhauler again buddy :)

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
trekuhl;100609 wrote: are you going to jennings late feb? may be interested in ride share.

and darrin, who are YOU kidding. its like you wrote a love letter to me above. yes i will ride in your toyhauler again buddy :)
are you leaving me, trey??:(:(

alphamale

I'm not sure how much the costs will change for me. My toyota tacoma barely got 12 MPG towing an open trailer. I am hoping for 10 MPG at 55 MPH and my wife or track buddies cooking me grub while on the open road. :-D

This makes doing a 3 day track weekend all the more enticing. Even if you did Friday and then Sunday and camped for Saturday. It'll definitely be worth it to be comfortable.

zangman

alphamale

Happy New Year

Main reason I didn't get something like that (was looking at them for a while) is the personal property taxes here in Virginia. Instead I got the cheapest nice one I could find.

:-D

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
eettare;100946 wrote: Can you tow a trailer with that thing?
Yes, you can. Don't know what it would do to fuel economy, but it's possible.

Alphamale got a great deal on his rig.

I already had a Super Duty Ford, so rather than buy something else with a motor, which would sit too much for me to justify that expense, I just went with a tow-behind.

I also considered a 5th wheel like a Fusion something similar. I just felt something that large was too much for me. And, while I'm not usually sentimental, I have a Fiberglass top on my SuperDuty that was partially paid for by money my Mom gave me after my Dad passed, so parting with that wasn't going to work for me, either.

alphamale

Update

Wow, so I made it home in one piece.

The Good
-I've already been tinkering this weekend. Walmart has proven to be pretty good. I picked up a complete sony stereo and 4 sony speakers for $80 bucks. Yes I did say $80 bucks. Now, not only can I jam to tunes, but I can also jam to my IPOD/IPHONE... Sweet!

The Bad
- I was 90% of the way home and all of a sudden the cruise control stopped working. I think this may possibly be related to the fact that the brake pads may be low. (They did squeek ALOT in stop and go traffic).

-So now I'm trying to do the cost/benefit analysis whether I should invest my time and change the brakes and the oil myself, or let the only commercial/rv service place near me do it for like $320 bucks. Tough call.

-I spent a couple hours when I got home SILENCING all the squeeks, pings, knocks, and other random sounds that seem to appear out of every orifice. I bought weatherstripping to silence the metal window shades banging on the metal window sills, I bought felt pads to reinforce all the other felt pads on all the cabinets. My wife got some sweet drawer/cabinet liners to soften any noise coming from stuff in them. I'm pretty sure there will be more random squeeks and noises, but the most annoying ones are fixed! I guess that's the difference between a $25,000 RV and a $250,000 RV. I'm not so sad though, cuz this thing is going to be AWESOME!

THE UGLY:

- When the time comes, I hope the septic process is actually fairly easy and relatively inexpensive. I bought it from a non-RV dealer, and I didn't really get a complete walkthrough of all the systems, so I may be asking somebody to help me out and show me how to USE this thing before the season starts, or at last resort, on the first NESBA weekend. For now the RV is winterized, so obviously none of that stuff works now. Although just for the hell of it my wife and I ate dinner in it last night and we ran out of soda, and I asked her if she wanted "Pink Lemonade". (Is that an RV inside joke?)

After all was said and done, I got 9 MPG on that beast over the trip when I did 60 MPH. On one of the stretches, I did 65 and I got like 7.8 MPG. Not exactly the greatest, but I can live with it. And Gasoline is much cheaper than Diesel. (besides the cost difference in the motor)

I'm not sure of my towing capacity. I am thinking around 4000 pounds. The V10 has plenty, PLENTY of juice in it. I'm not sure it's worth it when I've got a full size garage! :-D Now I have to get to installing my PitBull Trailer Restraints.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
When you winterize an RV, there is ashut off and reroute for the hot water heater. The previous owner might have left this open or closed, but just remember thsi when you are de-winterizing. As you will have to pump alot of water through the system to get out the antifreeze. Other than that, flush the septic with some clean water and you can go out and get some RV safe septic stuff to put down in there.

Flushing is easy:
-hook up pipe
-make sure your drain water tank is full
-open drain water tank and let run for a sec or two
-open up septic tank and let empty
-re-open drain tank to "rinse"
-enjoy taking off hose (I try to get the wife to do this and make up something else very important or heavy I have to attend to)

Landshark

Control Rider
lemondrop;101544 wrote: When you winterize an RV, there is ashut off and reroute for the hot water heater. The previous owner might have left this open or closed, but just remember thsi when you are de-winterizing. As you will have to pump alot of water through the system to get out the antifreeze. Other than that, flush the septic with some clean water and you can go out and get some RV safe septic stuff to put down in there.

Flushing is easy:
-hook up pipe
-make sure your drain water tank is full
-open drain water tank and let run for a sec or two
-open up septic tank and let empty
-re-open drain tank to "rinse"
-enjoy taking off hose (I try to get the wife to do this and make up something else very important or heavy I have to attend to)
I made a fitting from the air compressor to adapt to the city water hook up. open all the spigots and turn the compressor down to 14 psi. You can open and close the spigots to ensure all are blown out. This will drasticly reduce the anti freeze in your system. Since now you only need a tiny bit for the pump and some to pour in the drains. When you blow out the system open the hot water heater pressure release valve. That will allow the hot water tank to also get blown out.

DLSGAP

I'm not back on the track yet.. but maybe I could tag along and help out in the pits with stands and what not just to have a chance to come check out whats up with trackdays in the area.. I could meet you on your way down to VIR

alphamale

DLSGAP;102134 wrote: I'm not back on the track yet.. but maybe I could tag along and help out in the pits with stands and what not just to have a chance to come check out whats up with trackdays in the area.. I could meet you on your way down to VIR
Damien,

I am going to the WERA weekend at VIR, if you want to go, I'd be glad to have you!

Nate