Track bike advice

HokieRider

I dont mean to open the flood gates here but i need some advice.

I think im getting to the point that i need a dedicated track bike. I dont want to risk dumping my Buell tuber(thats getting increasingly hard to find parts for).

So, here are some thing I love about the Buell that im going to take into consideration when looking for a track bike:

1. VERY nimble and handles corners perfectly (im more concerned with corner speed than straightaway speeds)
2. Engine braking is excellent

Im also looking for a bike that not to expensive and easy to find parts.

Im thinking of possibly a SV650 (because of cost and parts availability), or an R6 (because of what i have heard about their cornerspeeds). Id like a Buell XB12 Firebolt, but im not sure if i want to drop the cash.

thanks for the input

LesPow

Control Rider
Hmmm from what your asking I would say SV, cheaper, teaches you to carry corner speed, and parts availability.

I would go R6, I love the ergonomics of the bike. Feels comfortable to ride on track crouched over. Pick one and go have fun.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
As everything in this sport..your budget will have a significant impact on your choice.

Both the SV and R6's you're considering are plentiful in available bikes and parts. You cannot go wrong with either way. You can progress from B to A group on either.

If this means anything, though, the additional power and improved chassis/brakes of the R6 or any 600 I-4 will make the setup and passing of other riders easier. You may become quite good on the SV, but it may be a heck of a lot more work.

You're right though in thinking about the Buell not maybe being the optimal track day choice. The Triumphs, Ducati's, Aprilia's and other exotic bikes are really nice..but IF you need a foot peg, brake lever, or some other minor part for any reason at the track...you quite possibly screwed. With an R6/R1/GSXR/SV...parts are usually more readily accessible in the paddock from either Chuck, or another kind soul in the pits.

cooker1

You can get an SV set up for for about 2k parts are cheap and plentiful ia easy on tires and gas also ! I am a little prejudicial though being an SV rider ! The SV is an excellent choice if you are not worried about top speed cause you will get passed a lot but I just pass em back in the corners ! It really comes down to what you really want to ride and what you want to spend riding it . I would like to have a 600 or 750 but I see riders that spend a lot of money on tires and gas riding those bikes I use about 10 gals of gas on a track weekend and my pirellis lasted a whole season !

HokieRider

Dave,
were you one of the guys riding the naked SVs this past weekend? I saw 2 of them show up on sunday. What kind of speeds were you pulling down the straight? I want to compare it to my Buell

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
If cost is the deciding factor maybe the SV is the bike for you, just think you can save money and get faster. Enjoy!

cooker1

HokieRider;237806 wrote: Dave,
were you one of the guys riding the naked SVs this past weekend? I saw 2 of them show up on sunday. What kind of speeds were you pulling down the straight? I want to compare it to my Buell
No not me doing my 1st TD next weekend though I rode mine naked the 2nd half of last season because of well you know a CRASH !!!!!!! LOL

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
HokieRider;237852 wrote: so SVs arent overly impressive as far as stock HP.....so how easy is it to get some more HP out of that motor?
With an SV, it's about the agility of the complete package and the fun you can have with that nimble machine.

It's like a Miata. Not a whole lot of power..but quick lap times because it's overall agility and quickness make up for other places where it may lack, like overall horsepower.

It's a different mindset.

madriders86

Me and a pal were out there on south on sunday on our SV's. #86 an 645 in I group. We were pitted over in the corner straight back from pit in/out. His first nesba day and we had a good time.

It can be done, but if you are trying to squeeze more power out of them you are honestly missing the point! Put money into the suspension and save the rest for tires and track time. And spares.

D-Zum;237858 wrote: With an SV, it's about the agility of the complete package and the fun you can have with that nimble machine.

It's like a Miata. Not a whole lot of power..but quick lap times because it's overall agility and quickness make up for other places where it may lack, like overall horsepower.

It's a different mindset.
They are a lot of fun but they don't do anything better than say, a modern 600. They are marginally lighter, and less picky about what gear you are in, but really they are just slower and thus you are FORCED to develop speed in the corners. Entry, mid corner, and exit, you have to be on the ball in order to keep up with (or pass) any decent rider on a faster bike.

I feel mine has taught me a lot and although I consider getting a 600 sometimes I still kinda want to take this bike to :a:

HokieRider;237852 wrote: so SVs arent overly impressive as far as stock HP.....so how easy is it to get some more HP out of that motor?
The TZ125 I ride is not impressive in overall HP, but it is visciously fast in the turns and has unbelievable brakes. Those are its strengths. When you ride it to its strengths you will move.

As D-Zum said, its a different mindset and once you put that mindset on you will really begin to learn.

There is a reason us 2T and SV riders are so dedicated to the machines.

my 2 cents.

BZ

denbsteph

I'm a Yamaha fanatic, I picked up an 07 R6S, done some mods and I'm happy with it. Point it in the direction you want to go and there she goes. I have seen nothing but excellent posts about the SV and the R6. I plan on doing TD's for as long as I can, that is another reason why I bought the R6S. When ever I get the bump to the next level, I know I have the bike that will carry me there, IMHO.

HokieRider

Thanks for all the input guys. The SV sounds like it might be the way to go. Im used to having to carry speed though the corners because my Buell is also lacking in straight line speed, and the cost and benefit seams to b e in the SVs favor.

The search begins!

madriders86

HokieRider;237806 wrote: Dave,
A bit late, but here we are. Good times.
swwbns.jpg

rk97

It sounds like the OP's already made a decision, but I think the SV is the right call.

I didn't enjoy the engine-braking characteristics of a twin, but as he noted in his first post, he does. As great as the R6 is, it won't deliver that at all. Not compared to an SV.