Track Bike Purchase Advice

AU_R1

Ok, so I'm looking at a few alternatives to making my 08 R1 my track/street bike. This is the best perspective I have so far.

2006 R6 with...
1. full graves titanium exhaust system
2. pcIII
3. ohlins rear shock (ttx - triple adjust)
4. front forks is re-done with racetech 9.0 springs and revalved
5. ohlins/scotts steering damper
6. titan brake and clutch levers
7. galfer front and rear stainless steel brake lines
8. driven sprocket with ek chain (520 setup)
9. turn key module is removed (turn on the bike w/out keys)
10. eracings track body work (scuffed up from the lowside mentioned above)
but will come with brand new eracings body work in box
11. vortex ad. clip ons
12. safety wired ready
13. arata full adj. rearsets
14. bmc race air filter

Includes front and rear stands along with tire warmers (temp. adjustable), alpinestar back protector, T-Pro back protector and a Coleman generator (used twice)
.................................................. .................................................. ..
(clean title) ... the bike has been through 1 very minor lowside at las vegas motor speedway (classic course) on turn 3 AWHILE back and even on the same day, the damage was so minor (cosmetic only), the clip on and levers basically barely scuffed the ground and i continued to track on throughout the whole day and continued to track the bike till now with no issues. the bike has roughly 5500 on it and has always been serviced after every full trackday.
for $6500.

It looks like a pretty good deal to me. Problem one is that it's in L.A. and I live in Alabama. I have friends out there that can help me with the deal but I'm not sure how much shipping costs. Thoughts?

1literduceater

Honestly???? My opinion you have looked hard enough. I bet there are about 100 more out there that are a weee bit closer to home. Just my $0.02.

Think it would some where around $600 to ship.

Joe Vital

hey auburn, look at the wera classifieds. tons of good deals on race bikes, if you are patient...and you likely won't have to drive your tractor too far to go pick it up...roll tide...

rk97

'08 R1... '06 R6 totally set up for the track...

sounds like money is no object. If you're confident that the bike is everything the owner claims, it sounds like a good deal. Ship it.

"deal" is a relative term, so if i'm wrong about your financial situation, you can get VERY nice bikes for significantly less than $6500. I would say $4000 should get you a 2004 or newer bike with full suspension, inverted forks, FI, rearsets, and other major modifications.

or if you want to spend all $6500, you can buy five 1993 Honda F2's :p

AU_R1

Joe Vital;48285 wrote: hey auburn, look at the wera classifieds. tons of good deals on race bikes, if you are patient...and you likely won't have to drive your tractor too far to go pick it up...roll tide...
Good call on the wera classifieds, I found some really good bikes. The Bloody Flow may have had a good year this year, the Iron Bowl is one I would love to forget, but I do believe their still picking Gator teeth out of the Elephant.

awhicker

Maybe its just because I'm not from the South, but when I was looking for a track bike it seemed like all the bikes I wanted were down South. Go to city specific sites too (like Atlanta). For me I went to a Chicago board and there were some good deals, but I still ended up buying from the Nesba forum and got a great deal. Wera is good too.

snikwad

just buy as closest to how YOU would set up whatver bike it it, and go for what you want the most. then try to hit your budget or lower.

Remember no matter how what, you will always see another that may be a better deal or cheaper, thats why getting exactly what you want is critical, so you dont have regrets.

AU_R1

Aren't the '04s carburated?
Edit: I decided not to be lazy and searched it myself, they're fuel injected.

rk97

^ different bikes changed different years. Same with inverted forks. when i said 2004, i was thinking of Suzuki's specifically.

when i mentioned FI and USD forks, those were just MY preferences for my next bike. don't think of them as 'must-have' items to get started. Plenty of guys get to "A" group on first generation SV650's. PhysicistKev rides a 1990 750 in "A," and Chuck D got to "A" on an F2 with mods similar to mine. I like to remind myself of that when I'm tempted to use my bike as an excuse :)