Track bike years / prices

awhicker

Hello,

I am about to buy my first track bike. Do you have advice on what type of cost per year should be expected for a untitled / track only bike? I would be getting a 600 cc or a 750 GSX if I found a good deal.

I have 2 years riding experience and have been to two trackdays on my FZ6. So I'm a beginner that expects to be riding beginner or possible intermediate by the end of the year next year.

Any advice would be welomed. thanks.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
how many track-days are you going to be doing? depending on how many days you do, you have to figure out oil changes, tires, gas, brakes, etc. but I'm guessing if you do 10-15 days it'll be around $1,000 to $1,500 that's if you run mostly B group

hank

If you want your riding skills to improve faster... keep the FZ for another year or get yourself a used, track prepped SV650 over the I4 600 or the Gixxer 7-fiddy.

dlockhart5x

hank;28128 wrote: If you want your riding skills to improve faster... keep the FZ for another year or get yourself a used, track prepped SV650 over the I4 600 or the Gixxer 7-fiddy.

:agree:
If you search here on the NESBA forums and other racing forums like the WERA bbs, for first track/race bikes, the overwhelming response is often buy a SV.

Long ago, when I was searching for track day info I found a good quote.

"ride the smallest bike your ego will allow"

I still have a long ways to go to master my little 60hp cup bike.

Nexus

dlockhart5x;28130 wrote: :agree:
If you search here on the NESBA forums and other racing forums like the WERA bbs, for first track/race bikes, the overwhelming response is often buy a SV.

Long ago, when I was searching for track day info I found a good quote.

"ride the smallest bike your ego will allow"

I still have a long ways to go to master my little 60hp cup bike.
How much work/maintanence are you doing with your RS250? Just wondering since it's an awesome small bike but 2-strokes seem to need a lot of attention.

dlockhart5x

Nexus;28148 wrote: How much work/maintanence are you doing with your RS250? Just wondering since it's an awesome small bike but 2-strokes seem to need a lot of attention.
It is tough to give a blanket answer. A stock cup spec bike should need not need much day to day stuff. I often am swapping gearing throught a weekend. One tooth can transform a lap. Jetting is mostly set it and forget it.
They are very good bikes for tinkerers.
There are lots of tuning options that make it more and more narrow focus and that requires the requisite care and feeding.

Every thing you need to know is in the 250 section. And there is a lot to search.

I ride mostly Midwest and Midcentral regions with a trip or two to Barber each season. If we cross paths at a track, I almost always make some seat time available for interested riders to try the 250 out.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/

awhicker

Me again

thanks for the help.

I was misleading when I wrote the question the first time, but thanks for the help on cost per year. I am planning on doing about ten, that would be a good goal. Possibly more.

When I wrote it I was thinking "How much money should I spend on a bike of 200x year. So with 3000 dollars should I expect to get 2002? 2003?

Ive been looking at some forums and Ive seen 2004 track bikes go for $4000.

I guess I'm asking "what would you be expecting to get for 3000 dollars on a track only bike (no title or the bike is completely prepped for racing)? 2002? 2003? Lots of goodies? No goodies?

Ive looked at plenty of forums, and I haven't seen any track only SV's.

stkr

You keep saying "untitled" :confused:

I would be leary of a bike that has absolutely NO title. Even dedicated track only bikes usually have a title, but do not have a "registration" for use on the street. Even bikes that were pulled from a salvage yard and rebuilt as track bikes will have at least a salvage title.

The title establishes "legal" ownership. The registration/plates makes it legal for street use.

If you're going to buy an untitled bike, then at least have the DMV, or the police department run the VIN to verify it isn't stolen, or doesn't have a lein against it.

Price-wise, slow honda is correct. Look around and you'll be able to find some good deals out there.

awhicker

limiting 600 cc power

Okay, then I guess I should be referring to it as street legal. I would prefer the bike to have been street legal then switched to a track only use instead of a salvage title or any other type of situation. That way I would KNOW the bike was in good shape without having to trust the person selling it to me. Good point. I want a bike that isn't street legal.

Thanks for the help

Another question, the big four sportbikes appeal to me because of their low cost, geometry, and high availabilty. Is there a way to limit the power output of a fuel injected bike so that I wouldn't have the unneccesary extra power. I don't know, maybe limit it to 70 percent of the total power.

Maybe limit the airflow or simply limit the twist on the throttle?

Ideas?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
awhicker;28185 wrote: Is there a way to limit the power output of a fuel injected bike so that I wouldn't have the unneccesary extra power.

Why on earth would you want to do that? We all need more power
!

If you must, you could just limit the travel of the throttle bodies. My son's mini bike has a screw that you turn outwards to reduce the range. I'm sure you could rig something.

stkr

Your best throttle/power limiting device is the same thing that's used as the firing safety of a .50 Cal machine gun...

Your Brain!

No matter what bike you get, if you don't ride within "your" limits and skill, then you'll still have problems. Since you've already done trackdays, you should already know that it's all in how you control the bike, not how much power you have. Even a Hayabusa (my first sportbike

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Best way to limit a 600 power is to keep it under 10k rpms. Most are pretty gutless at that range. With a liter bike most are still pretty torquey at anything over 5-6 k

awhicker

haha

haha

First I ask people's opinion on what to get and I have people tell me to skip the sportbike, get the SV. Okay.

Then I think, I live in the fox cities, WI. I don't have a whole lot of bikes to choose from and waiting it out for a SV seems kind of ridiculous. So then I say, "well, how about limiting a 600cc / 750 cc bike?" and then people ask me why I would want to do that.

I guess you can't please everyone 100% of the time.

thanks for the input guys, I've got my eye on a bike that I can buy. its not an SV, but a 750.

JGardy_781

Having ridden a first-gen SV for years through a reasonable "I" pace, and then transitioned to a 2002 GSXR-750 with a stock engine and a very well set up suspension in mid-2007, I'd pick a SV or a 600 as a first full-time track bike. If I was asked for specific advice, I'd pick a 650, because the crash well and are very, very easy on tires, reducing a substantial portion of the expense you'll pay outside of fees for your first few years.

Even having 3 or 4 years doing 10-ish days a year under my belt on the SV, it took a year of adjustment to get used to the modest ~120 HP allied to the vastly different feel of the 750, and throughout the process, I started to think that the bike was actively trying to kill me...

Certainly, it's all in the mind, and maintaining a solid connection between mind and right wrist (people start out on liter bikes all the time...) but you can edit out some of the early-in-the-learning-curve "moments" by working at a lower horsepower level so begin with...

If you do get the 750 - work on getting the suspension and tire package very, very well set up - you can destroy rear tires in short order if it isn't spot on... Speaking from costly, costly expeirence there.

hotwings

Get the SV. I've ridden mine from B into A. And I'm not giving her up. Get on the WERA board, make a road trip.

dlockhart5x

awhicker;28224 wrote: haha

First I ask people's opinion on what to get and I have people tell me to skip the sportbike, get the SV. Okay.

Then I think, I live in the fox cities, WI. I don't have a whole lot of bikes to choose from and waiting it out for a SV seems kind of ridiculous. So then I say, "well, how about limiting a 600cc / 750 cc bike?" and then people ask me why I would want to do that.

I guess you can't please everyone 100% of the time.

thanks for the input guys, I've got my eye on a bike that I can buy. its not an SV, but a 750.

One of the fastest SV racers in the US, Ed Key, is out of Wi.
The shop that builds his bikes is in Madison Wi.
Take your time, and do a bit of research, there is a lot of stuff to learn.

hank

dlockhart5x;28236 wrote:
Take your time, and do a bit of research, there is a lot of stuff to learn.
:agree:

This is the best advice when it comes to this crazy obsession...

Nice job 5axis!

Get a SV, you can pick up a track ready 1st gen SV from $2000-$3000 all day long on the WERA board. If you can be fast on a SV then you can be fast on anything.