Track Days in Europe?

Happyslider

The U.S. Army is moving my family to Germany at the end of the year. I would very much like to move my motorcycle with us and ride some of those incredible tracks they have in Europe. So, with that said, is there anyone out there who knows anything about track days in either Germany or Europe as a whole? Since my bike is a track-day-only bike and is not ridden on the streets at all and is therefore not registered, licensed, or insured is it even an option for me to move it? Will I need a German motorcycle license (apparently these are very expensive!)? I guess what I am hoping for is a European version of "Nesba"?

Vet

Betarace,

You will have a blast in Germany. I spent 9 years there (left 2004) and loved everything about it. I did not start track days until last year, but I do know that you can take your bike to the Famous Nurburgring Race track 24km long, of course for a fee. Not sure about now, but before they redesigned the Hochenheim track, you could pay to ride track as well. I’m sure you will find some form of organization to ride with. You can get your motorcycle license on post. You will have to take a written and riding test. Normally in one day. It should be free. You should start studying for the POV written test (50 signs question and 100 driving questions or vise versa) . I was stationed in Weisbaden, Mainz, and Vilseck. I sure to miss the autobahn:cheers::

Happyslider

Hi Vet...

Sounds like we will probably be living on Ramstein. The only thing that worries me is the fact that the bike isn't registered or licensed since I don't ride it on the streets. It has a clean title which I have in hand, but with all of the modifications I've made for racetrack use it wouldn't be street legal even if I wanted to put the lights and mirrors back on. So one of the big questions is going to be the tech inspections. I ride the "B" group currently but tech my bike to "A" group standards. But how in the world am I going to find out if this will be acceptable in Germany/Europe?

snikwad

if you feel brave enought, you have got to ride the ring aka green hell, aka the nurburg ring.

the Hockenhiem ring is wicked too, i was there for the IDM finals last year.

Vet

Not sure if you know, but instead of the "SpeedChannel" Germany has "EuroSports." Every MotoGP and WSB race will be shown. Starting with Friday's practice, Saturday's qualifing, and the race on Sunday. It is more in depth than here in the states. You will get to know every rider and teams. I think I recorded every race for 6 years:D

zxsixr

You can ride nurburgring for a fee, but remember anybody with some cash can take their family minivan out there with you.

snikwad

zxsixr;16659 wrote: You can ride nurburgring for a fee, but remember anybody with some cash can take their family minivan out there with you.

Are you sure, i thought even thos open days had a minimum cost too.

zxsixr

snikwad;16688 wrote: Are you sure, i thought even thos open days had a minimum cost too.
I was watching Top Gear on BBCA the other night and the had a lady out there in a delivery van passing motorcycles. It was crazy she did it in like 10 min and some change. :popcorn: Dont know about the cost but they had what looked like toll booths with cars,bikes lined up to go in. Looked like first come first go.

snikwad

yeah, im pretty sure you pay per lap man, i was gonna do it, last time i was in Germany with my ex-fiance' but decided to go to the IDM finals instead since it was cheaper.

iirc, its 1 lap or 4 laps, and the cheapest was like 150 euro

696triumph

the nurburgring (old road corse) is available for open lap sessions. It's VERY dangerous! no run off and lots of armco. People ride it on a bike, but it's more like a good favorite back road than a race track. Not that it sucks, just can't run it at race pace. A BMW/Porsche might be a bit more fun.

There's actually a taxi service that'll take you around the course at race pace. It's a BMW M5, driven by a pro driver. Price is something like $500 a lap (!!!!)

The race track at nurburgring (where WSBK ran) is a whole different deal. Very much a real track, but a club/magazine would need to rent out the facility. Germany is very expensive for that kind of stuff, so save your Euros.

Locals tell me the Eastern Europe is all the rage for track days. Bruno, Poland and a few other places are gaining popularity mainly because of cost and small crowds. Euros go a lot further there.

I remember seeing a few clubs that sun Spa Francop (sp??) in Belgium. Assen was very tough to find any clubs that run there. Most of the local track day org websites where in German or Dutch. I think the rationale is that if you speak English, you're coming form England, and are 10 times more likely to go to Spain. Which by the way, is the ultimate place for track time ;-) Zero rain, perfect temperature and pretty low costs vs. Northern Europe. I know a few clubs that run Valencia, Jerez, Catalynia, and a half dozen or so private tracks that magazines use. Germany/Holland gets a lot of rain, so if you're going to travel, head south! Food is better as well.

I did one day in Catalynia. Tons of fun, but very different than in the US. Hardly anyone had a dedicated track bike and no enclosed trailers. Lots of people had their whole family there, like it was a real race or something. The safety at those tracks are unbelievable. I don't think I could hit a wall if I tried.

Happyslider

Hottrax-online

I managed to find a "Hottrax-online.com" out of the U.K. which organizes trackdays in Spain and France. They offer everything from 3 day weekends with included hotel/bike transport to track-time only rates of 99euro/day. Which at current exchange rates is equivalent to what we're paying here in the states. I sent a couple of emails and they responded right away (which was a great sign!). It sounds like as long as I can get a motorcycle license in Germany (no idea how) I will have no problems. Some sort of "repatriation" insurance is required but is available at registration for something like 20euro through Lloyds of London. Apparently not every bike is even tech inspected!

seamus

Happy,

I'll try to find the links I had for trackday orgs in Europe, computer crash a year ago cost me some valuable links. There are enough of them to keep you busy. I spent 7 years in Germany myself (last PCS was JUN05) and am fighting for a shot to get back there within the next couple years. A friend of mine is stationed there now (in Iraq right now) and hits the track with a few people; Hockenheim is still open (Wednesdays) and Nurnburgring is where they were going due to scheduling.

I had a contact at a local Honda dealer who actually raced but I haven't heard from him since he moved his shop from Ansbach to Nurnberg (Motorad Taf).

Check with the local dealerships when you get to Rammstein, you'll find plenty of trackho's that can guide you to the info.

You shouldn't have a problem bringing the track bike and not registering it but you may want to check with your insurance company first. They may or may not cover fire/theft/loss there for you or it may be cost prohibitive for you. Just something to think about.

PM me your AKO address and I'll send you my buddy's address with whatever q's you have so he can respond with the latest and greatest as he knows it.

Seamus

edit: Make sure Hottrax accepts your USAREUR license or see if they'll accept an international driver's license. If they do, make sure you get one before you leave the states.

Happyslider

Thanks Seamus

Hi Seamus, Thanks for the good info. I can't believe the response I have gotten to this thread. It's been incredible. I have actually been in contact with a guy from Denmark who does a lot of track days all over Europe. He sent me a link to a German trackday organizer "prospeed.de". Does that sound familiar? From what I have seen on their website and heard from him this group sounds a lot like NESBA. It looks to be a promising place to start. My biggest concerns were insurance and licensing. As soon as I mentioned the word "racetrack" to my insurance company they dropped my policy altogether and I haven't had any insurance on the bike since. They wouldn't even provide a theft policy. I shopped around a bit and found this to be true of all of the major insurance companies. As far as the licensing goes, what do you know about a USAREUR motorcycle operator's license? I contacted Hottrax and they will accept it, but I have no idea how to get it? I am assuming it must be similar to getting a bike license here in the states?:notsure:

seamus

Vet mentioned the license earlier. It'll be done on post through military channels. Make sure you have a motorcycle endorsement on your stateside license and that it's not expired. If so, take care of that ASAP so you have a valid stateside endorsement. The car portion of the USAREUR license will be addressed during inprocessing. You absolutely cannot get a license with an expired stateside license.

To get the motorcycle endorsement, you'll need an MSF card (preferably less than two years old, best if it's less than a year to prevent any disagreement there). If you have the MSF card, then all you'll have to do is take the "test". It's not really a test and if you can successfully start from a stop, use both brakes, turn around and do it again without falling off, you'll get the endorsement. You'll need to borrow someone's bike to do the test or trailer a bike to the site.

As for insurance, check with USAA. They're better at insuring stuff overseas anyway. (If you haven't checked rates for cars or bikes yet, you might want to sit down, drink a Jack and Coke, and call for rates now. It was an unpleasant surprise when I first got there.)

And, most importantly, make sure you hand carry this paperwork. There's no telling when your household goods will arrive.

FrostyFire

You won't have a problem importing it as a off-road vehicle. You won't be able to register it on the street of course.

A fellow friend and Nesbian just moved to Australia, shipped his race bike there in a crate.

Happyslider

How fast can I get a motorcycle endorsement?

Hi Seamus, The motorcycle endorsement will make things interesting. I went from dirt bikes to track-day-only bikes and therefore have never given any thought to a motorcycle endorsement. I guess my next stop will be the D.O.T. I wonder how quickly I can get ready. The next problem I'm gonna have is finding a bike to use for the test as mine is a track bike and not even close to street legal. This should be interesting.