Track Fairings question...Superbike tail vs Supersport tail

ltsheets

I'm about to order a new set of track fairings if I can't find any quality used ones. What's the adv or disadv of getting a supersport (uses the stock seat) tail vs a superbike tail (uses foam pad)? The superbike is a little more expensive but not enough so that I wouldn't go that route if it was a way better option. Thoughts??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I opted for the stock seat so that I had easier access to the battery. Not that removing the entire tail section is all that difficult, however...

daniel06

ltsheets, what bike do you have?

My sbk tail is solid for the past 5 years. 4 bolts, its off. I like the more solid feel of it as well.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
With the superbike tail you're supposed to get more feel of what the bike is doing.

I had this problem with my 03' gar 750. It had a super sport tail with stock seat. I demo'd a r6 and was like wow I can feel the rear tire. So to solve it I took the stock seat and stripped all the foam, replaced it with a seat pad foam (for a superbike tail) and re-wrapped with the cover. Worked awesome and saved me the extra of buying a superbikes tail for the feel.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tbprib

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Weigh your options:
* superbike seat cost more and you must get another seat.
* Stock it's plug and play and less money.

I've had both and I couldn't really feel a difference so I stuck with the stock seat. Worked for me, enjoy my man. :cool:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Emerson;236361 wrote: With the superbike tail you're supposed to get more feel of what the bike is doing.
I've heard that. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference, though, and I decided my ass likes some padding. :D I like to be comfortable out there! LOL!

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
I've used both and agree with Emerson that the SBK tail provides better feedback. If you are worried about padding, your not really sitting on the seat for that long anyway. Install a battery tender lead and have it hang out the bottom of the tail so you don't have to take off the seat to charge it. There are a lot of bikes that have this.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
jcurtis;236398 wrote: I've used both and agree with Emerson that the SBK tail provides better feedback. If you are worried about padding, your not really sitting on the seat for that long anyway. Install a battery tender lead and have it hang out the bottom of the tail so you don't have to take off the seat to charge it. There are a lot of bikes that have this.
Well, if I ever need another tail section, perhaps I'll try the SBK tail. :cool:

ltsheets

daniel06;236360 wrote: ltsheets, what bike do you have?

My sbk tail is solid for the past 5 years. 4 bolts, its off. I like the more solid feel of it as well.
2007 kawi zx6r

Spitz

I've tried both. I prefer the SS tail, dont have to dick with seat foam, usually fits better with cheaper fairings etc..

D-Swens

Depends on your goals with the bike to some extent. In general, the SS tail with stock seat will be a little more comfortable because of the thicker padding, but the Superbike Tail will "hypothetically" help you go faster.

Most people feel the superbike seat gives you better feel on what the bike is doing, and better feedback. Most SBK tails are actually thinner and narrower around the seat area as well, and allow you to move from side to side just a little bit easier (IMO). Personally, I greatly prefer the SBK tail, even when going slow:D

Most fast racers and professionals prefer the SBK tail when it is available. Look at the AMA SBK grid, or the front of a WERA expert race. That being said though, there is always an exception to any rule though, and I've seen really fast guys prefer the SS tail.

Most Coaches and CR's I do body kits for prefer the SS tail, because of the sheer amount they are ridding, and aren't stressing it if slows them down .25 seconds to be more comfortable.

ltsheets

Sounds like I'm going to go with a SS tail as long as I'm riding in the intermediate level. If I feel like I'm starting to get fast enough to appreciate the extra feel, then I'll switch over to a Superbike tail at that point. Thanks for all the advice.