Track nights?

madriders86

Uh the track would be lit up. Obviously most road courses do not have fully lit tracks. Lighting would have to be brought in.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I hope NESBA never does the night ride thing.

Daytime means heat..which means the track's hot, which means the tires grip.

Unlike some other orgs where the owner will turn to any gimmick to get people on a track to make a buck, I believe NESBA holds their events to a higher standard.

rk97

D-Zum;139505 wrote:

This. I'm probably more concerned than normal, because I rode Mid-Ohio recently, but some tracks get pretty sketchy when the surface cools.

It's true that most tracks are still pretty 'green' during the 9 AM session, but so am I! Increasing confidence combined with diminishing grip seems like a recipe for a crash-fest.

Mikey75702

Yeah the night time track thing is cool for cars but I don't think I'd put my bike on the track at night. Seems little sketchy to me also.

sheepofblue

D-Zum;139505 wrote: I hope NESBA never does the night ride thing.

Unlike some other orgs where the owner will turn to any gimmick to get people on a track to make a buck, I believe NESBA holds their events to a higher standard.
Depending on the location it might be better as surface gets smoking hot at RA and Barber in July and August. The bigger issue would be dew not temps. Though bikes would easily keep the line plus some clear with tires and air flow. Offline might get dodgy.

I used to run nights often in dirt but that is a whole different world. The cool was nice and once you got used to the angles you could use the shadows to see who was coming. Never done one on pavement and would be interested but Nashville has safety issues that scare me.

Vet

What has been said so for is true. Something else to consider is the wild life that likes to come out at night. I can see riding around at CMP at night. H 2 the Naw!!! It would be cool if we had the MotoGP budget:)

madriders86

D-Zum;139505 wrote: I hope NESBA never does the night ride thing.

That's like saying it's irresponsible for nesba to host events during the months of, say, february, or november...it's just another condition to learn to ride under. Rain doesn't stop racing events and some endurance events run through the night.

noobinacan

most SE tracks don't have lights.
but, I think there should be a summer schedule.

early AM sessions and later afternoon sessions would be nice.
but then you run into crap like 'quiet hours' and what not.

JayhawkInDC

Funny cause at 98 degree (ambient temp), NJMP's otherwise awesome grip gets really greasy. Should NESBA put a max temp on their days?

arhale09

I don't know for certain, but it would seem that retrofitting any roadracing track with lights would just be prohibitively expensive...and I would hazard a guess that temporary lighting (which would fall to nesba, probably) would be a cost and a liability that nesba wouldn't want to take on.

dbakerpa

No thanks - I dont think I would be willing to wind it out at Summit at night. Especially when you can cream a deer in the middle of a day race.

JeremyGSU

I think it would be fun to ride Daytona at night and it's extremely lit. And just cause it's night doesn't mean it won't grip. Look at the Daytona 200 held at night in March in the 40's the last several years. Those guys are Pro's pushing it VERY hard. Hell, some were trailbraking into turn 1 and I was freezing watching from the sidelines. So IMO if they aren't crashing because of grip problems then I would think everyone else should be OK.

Landshark

Control Rider
My concern would be a rider exiting the illuminated area and falling down where he / she couldn't be easily seen.