Track paint

JBowen33

I have an 06 Ducati 999 in red. Any ducati guys out there have experience with a cheap " close" match for paint? I have armour bodies I just got and would like to get close to the factory color. I have a compressor and a paint gun so I really want to give it a better finish then a rattle can even tho it is just track body work. Any help in the right direction would be great thanks.

I have a 1098 that I had shot with a Mathews sign paint. It looks like hell before the clear coat, but once it's cleared, it's Ducati Red Baby!!!!!!! It was matched and shot by my painter at work. I think I know exactly what you're looking to accomplish. Stock Ducati Track Bike???? I also run Amour Bodies. They hold up well if/when you throw it down the track--don't ask:eek: I went as far as to purchase the stock factory stickers from my local Ducati dealership to get the "stock" look on my track body work. The only issue I've had with the paint is the lower flexes quite a bit and some paint has flaked off. I'm thinking a true automotive painter with experience in bike bodywork could solve that issue. If you like, I can get the formula and send it to you.

ckruzel

sign paint is typically more than automotive paint, if you want to match the ducati red its very easy, ppg provides the paint code in the back of your owners manual when its mixed its spot on, also buying decals from the dealer is way more than having a person like me make them for you

also paint formula's vary from mfg to mfg, typically sign paint is an oil based paint that your not supposed to clear over, its made to flow out of a brush onto existing surfaces

There ya go---straight from a true automotive painter with experience in bike bodywork. Issue solved. I guess my one saving grace on my Duc paint job was my price. Paint and labor was a six pack---stock stickers $65.

ckruzel;295701 wrote: if your bike looks good and your happy with it, thats all that counts
Actually, it doesn't look as good as my R6. I'd have to ask Chuck who shot that one and what the cost was. I'm a total novice when it comes to this subject. I was just chiming in to offer my experience. I absolutely love the fact that there are folks in this club and on this forum who have real world, professional expertise in this sport. It makes it much easier to just relax, have fun and (hopefully) not crash. :adore:

JBowen33

Hey everyone I appreciate the input. I actually lucked out and found a place called crescent city paint supply about a half an hour away from my house. They do house, auto and marine paint. The guy there was really nice. I told him I needed cheap but didn't want it to look cheap. He matched a generic paint and then tinited it to match my stock paint. In the can it looks like an exact match. Not only did he take the time to find the closest to exact paint for me but the guy actually explained to me how to do it and has a Ducati himself. He threw in paint strainers a mixer cup for nothing. For a quart of the paint and clear coat it only came to 90 bucks. The paint seems like a good brand (LIMCO) and the clear is axis which I never heard of before. I am going to spray the bike hopefully on Tuesday so I will post some pictures for everyone. One thing I can say is it is a hell of a lot better then paying 600 bucks for just a pint at colorite which doesn't even include the hardener or the clear.

D-Swens

griffonrider;295702 wrote: Actually, it doesn't look as good as my R6. I'd have to ask Chuck who shot that one...
Is your R6 painted Ducati Red w/a black lower? :D ...i might know the guy

D-Swens;295744 wrote: Is your R6 painted Ducati Red w/a black lower? :D ...i might know the guy
I'm pretty sure you know him quite well. :D As a matter of fact, I think we discussed a project involving your real world expertise at Barber didn't we?

JBowen33

Hey everyone just wanted to give an update in how my first paint job went. It was a shitload of hard work and really messy ( did it in the house in our spare bedroom lol ) but I think came out ok. Did the complete base/clear job including buying the paint gun and supplies for 150 dollars.