Track R1 on a budget.

AU_R1

I love my R1, I mean I sing it to sleep at night. Recently I discovered the joy of track days, hence I am now addicted to track days. I thought about buying some one's used track bike because I can't stand the thought of not being able to ride my precious baby because she's only good on the track and I'm a little worried about dropping her. Also I don't see myself being able to buy anything close to what the R1 is capable of for the price I can afford. Then it hit me, why can't I make my R1 be both my track bike and street. I don't want to ruin the pretty street plastics because they're just too damn expensive to replace, so why not buy a set of track plastics and just switch out when I'm ready to go to the track. I realize it would be quite the process to remove all the stock plastics, headlight assembly, turn signals, and tail light one or two weekends a month, but it kinda seems worth it. Additionally I could have all the nifty and oh so expensive upgrades on my street bike with out having to shell out for the same parts for two different bikes. Am I just plain naive or does anyone else do this?

Folly1

I have seen a number of bikes with race plastics adapted for the street. Small brake lights that unplug, flush mounted turn signals, and a projector beam (think ducati 999) headlight shining through a small hole in the front fairing. An alternative front light is a small piaa light mounted on the outside of the front fairing.

You will need an extra set of wheels, possibly, so you can be nice to your track tires. I also found that my SV, when set up for the track was way too stiff for the street and my street Monster was way too soft for the track. I guess you could dial the suspension back and forth.

Good luck.

Ben.

Cole

I'm sure a lot of people start off that way( I did), but in the end it usually becomes one or the other.
After a half season doing what you're thinking about, I quit riding street and now solely ride track.
Sure my time riding is drastically reduced, but the time spent riding is so much more rewarding.
Another plus, no more tickets and playing cat and mouse with the LEO's. I also don't have to go to as many funerals or hospital visits.

Something else that starts to happen, you begin to find out what you and your machine are capable of, and forget that the streets are not like tracks (i.e. gravel, spills, paint, animal carcasses, cagers, drunks and trees, armcos, deer, etc.). The tires we ride on the track require temperature to perform properly as does the track surface. Sure you can rail around some corners knee on the deck and get lucky. To quote Fight Club-- Along a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Just my 2 cents. Whatever you do, have fun and be safe

AU_R1

Cole;47969 wrote: I'm sure a lot of people start off that way( I did), but in the end it usually becomes one or the other.
After a half season doing what you're thinking about, I quit riding street and now solely ride track.
Sure my time riding is drastically reduced, but the time spent riding is so much more rewarding.
Another plus, no more tickets and playing cat and mouse with the LEO's. I also don't have to go to as many funerals or hospital visits.

Something else that starts to happen, you begin to find out what you and your machine are capable of, and forget that the streets are not like tracks (i.e. gravel, spills, paint, animal carcasses, cagers, drunks and trees, armcos, deer, etc.). The tires we ride on the track require temperature to perform properly as does the track surface. Sure you can rail around some corners knee on the deck and get lucky. To quote Fight Club-- Along a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Just my 2 cents. Whatever you do, have fun and be safe
Good advice. I've long since realized that riding like a spider monkey hopped up on Mt. Dew on the street is a bad idea. That's why I decided to start going to the track. I can't stand rounding a corner worrying about some old lady pulling her caddy out of a church parking lot ending my lucky streak. I also can't stand the thought of not being able to hop on my bike, and ride up to Niffers for a killer burger. I go to Auburn University where parking is an absolute cluster f*** and motorcycle parking is the only saving grace.

AU_R1

dmb367;47973 wrote: sell the R1 and buy a cheaper streetbike and an older, crash ready track bike
Not a bad thought either. I had an 07 R6 before I bought the 08 R1. I didn't decided in just a year that I needed more power, it's just that I'm 6'1 and got sick of my back hurting after every ride. :argh: The R1 is the best bike I know for for taller riders.

dmb367

I'm 6'4" so I know how you feel. But comfort on the street and comfort on the track are totally different animals. There's plenty of room on the 600's that are a little bit older. The new ones keep getting smaller and smaller. My bike now (01 GSXR 750) has plenty of room for me.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I also tried to do the track/street thing with my bike. It's really a pain. And as was said, if you've got it dialed for track, it'll rattle your teeth on the street. So I bought a DRZ400SM, and use it for street. It's soooo much more fun than a sportbike. Pinned in top gear you're doin' like 80. Drop it and nothing's broken.
I feel you with the parking woes. If that's your primary reason for riding it to school, why not get one of those euro-style scooters? Would be pretty funny to pull up on one of those in full track gear. haha.

I started out switching between street and track with my first 2006 Triumph Daytona 675. Did that for a year. Swapped out plastics and the tank each time I went to the track and it took about an hour each way. Ended up buying a cosmetically damaged 2006 Daytona 675 and have made it into a dedicated track bike so I now have two of them.

Latest thought has me leaning toward selling the street bike and buying a Husqvarna TE 610 and keeping the track bike. I'm planning a trip to Alaska for 4 weeks and will need a different bike for that trip.

Plus, riding a sport bike on the street is just not any fun after riding one on the track and finding out what you can really do on one. You simply can't ride like that on the street and stay alive for long.

Your wisest option would be to sell the R1, buy a track bike that someone has already set up and buy something that is comfortable and not so fast for the street.

Good luck with your decision...

Jeff