Track Tires without warmers?

stephenjpauls

All,

I just bought a track bike (2001 GSXR 600) and it has Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa Pros on it... I'm guessing SC2s, but I'm not sure. They have only one track day on them and look to be in good shape. My problem is I don't have warmers yet, I'm also a mid 'B' group rider who probably doesn't need that much tire. My concern is that I have read that the race tires are only good for 5 - 10 heat cycles, and they take longer to warm up.

Does this mean that I'll have to spend the first half of each session warming them up, and will destroy the tires by the end of the first day due to too many heat cycles?

Is there anything I can do to help keep the tires warm, and reduce heat cycles on them? I was thinking about making tire blankets to help the tire retain as much heat as possible between sessions, but don't know if that will be enough, or if it would even work. :dunno:

ronhix

You are worrying way too much. They will take about 1 lap to warm up and then you are good to go. They will not last as long, so don't try and save money by getting maximum life out of them. Use them for a weekend and move on.

BLARNEY

You can get them warm without warmers..... but it does take a few laps and it does
stress / wear the tires more. My advise is to use DCIII's or Pilot Powers 2CT's until
your pace gets to the point that you *need* DOT Race tires.

As a CR, I run PP 2CT's as my cold / wet day tires and can ride them comfortably
at a full-on A pace...... for a few laps anyway..... then they get a little hot a greasy.

To Ron's point ..... use these up, then move on.

Tom

ronhix

Also, you may want to drop the tire pressures a bit if you are running a slower pace, in order to help the tires flex and get some heat into them. Those tires work best at race pace and race temp.

stephenjpauls

Thanks guys,

I was thinking about making the switch back to street tires as soon as these were used up. Thanks for the advice, and Ron your correct I do need to stop worrying.

07yzfr1

I was just about to ask about this very question, I have the DCIII's and was wondering if there was anything better out there for track use (without warmers) and occasional street use?

JGardy_781

07yzfr1;4258 wrote: I was just about to ask about this very question, I have the DCIII's and was wondering if there was anything better out there for track use (without warmers) and occasional street use?
"Better" is pretty subjective... Tires and their feel/feedback are a pretty personal choice. Any high-end track/street tire will do well in the dual environments, be they DC3s, 2CTs, whatever Bridgestone has new this year, or Qualifiers (though even with my long-held dunlop bias I'll admit that in this company, they're a bit long in the tooth).

Stay 1 step short of DOT race tires in any of the big mfr's ranges, and you'll be fine.

Jason

JVance

You'll love the SC pro's with or with out warmers. I ran them for quite a while w/o warmers. Like has already been mentioned give a lap to warm up a little then just make your increase in speed progressively. I doubt you will want to switch back to a street tire after using them.

John
607 A