trackbike justification?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
madriders86;168669 wrote: lol i am never getting married.

sorry ladies :cool:
LOL, you've just gotta find a woman who likes motorcycles!

For years, I had bikes that served as street/track. But, I always seemed to have 2 bikes in the garage anyway. One was strictly street, one street/track. A few years ago, I finally got a dedicated trackbike. I love not having to tape/untape everything, and it's a lot easier to swap out the coolant with the race glass. As far as when you *need* one? Depends. If you're just starting out and aren't sure it's something you'll continue doing (yeah right, as if that would happen!) then it's not worth having a dedicated bike. If you're going to be doing trackdays every year, it's worth it, I think.

mattf

Wadding up your street bike will be the EUREKA moment when you realize that you should have bought a track beater to wail on instead of your sweet street ride.

I knew from my first session ever that I was hooked, and that I would eventually need a track bike in order to preserve my pristine streeter. So I bought a cheap last-gen bike, tracked it out, learned a hell of alot about my bike.....and then when I high sided it at NJMP, it wasn't nearly as big of a deal (or as expensive) as if I had thrown away my street ride.

Southerly

madriders86;168669 wrote: lol i am never getting married.

sorry ladies :cool:
There may be some adjustments and compromises to make with marriage, but I have no regrets, and if I had to do it over again would marry the same woman. Thirty years gone and looking forward to the next 30.

TeamBeer

When I decided to go to the track I wanted a track specific bike, so that I wouldn't chance crashing my daily commuter. It also wasn't what I wanted to ride on the track. Add that to not wanting to have to prep it for the track and the convert it back to street...ok, I'm lazy. There are tons of great deals on gently flogged track bikes, so I found it more desirable to buy a track bike and I am glad I did.

trailmug

unclepaulie;168588 wrote: How many trackdays in a season would you say you would have to do to justify having a dedicated trackbike? Just curious to see opinions and how other people decided to get a dedicated trackbike. Do most decide based on that they don't want to crash there nice street bike or just because they were doing so many days that a dedicated bike was needed? Where does double duty stop and two bikes begin?
If I wasn't going to the track at least monthly, I'd feel pretty good about using a double duty bike. I got a track bike because my FZ6 commuter (great mileage and low end) left a lot to be desired on the track..

jimgl3

for me it's all part of the fun... the hobbie of it if you will. do most of the work myself. gmd did the suspension, but that's it. this is largely a mental game and knowing you have the right parts for the job can help. not to mention if your bike and leathers are all tracked out and scraped up from falling the painter's tape folk tend to move out of your way! lol!

oh yeah, and you can tell the wife you need another bike for the street!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Everyone is has different circumstances when you decide not to ride on the street anymore, that worked for me...:cool:

dbakerpa

ONE - I crashed my street bike on my second track day. Cost 500 bucks to square it away for the street again, plus about 100 hours in the paint. I crashed my track bike at the end of the year. $150 paint, $35 peg, $70 windshield. My avatar is the bike ready to go. For $255 I was able to get back on the track. Oh- add $25 copay for stitches KOL. It was the same kind of low side at about 50 mph faster. I dont have to change tires. I have a track suspension set up. It is well worth it. It is fun to work on too.

S3aturnR

the way is see it; i just bought a brand new track bike that i will sometimes ride on the street. if i wasn't going to be using it for mostly track, i would have definitely bought a different bike...

s3aturnr

NoPower

Southerly;168689 wrote: There may be some adjustments and compromises to make with marriage, but I have no regrets, and if I had to do it over again would marry the same woman. Thirty years gone and looking forward to the next 30.
VERY COOL STUFF:cool:

unclepaulie

Well well, didn't expect so many replies. Thank you!
First off let me start off by saying, I didn't bring the subject up because I was trying to decide to buy a dedicated track bike for myself. I actually already have a track bike(06 600rr) and a street bike (00 sv650). I have been going to the track for about 9 yrs now. Been running in advanced group for most of those years and did 12-15 trackdays a season. So I'm a seasoned vet compared to many.
Having said that, another thing I want to reply to quickly is I am one of those people who still street ride, even after all these years of track riding. Yes, the street is definitely different once you've been on track. Everything slows down on the street once you realize that there is more risk involved. But for me, I just love to ride motorcycles with a passion. Yes, I prefer the track, but I enjoy going for a sunday cruise too. Just being on a bike gives me joy.

So back to the subject. My reasoning for bringing this up was cuz I wanted to see what everyone else's thought process was as to justifying a trackbike. Like everyone else, I have come to a crossroad in my life. Due to family duties and finances, my 12 -15 trackdays will go down to about 6-8 a season for the forseeable future. Because of that, I'm trying to decide if it makes sense for me to keep my trackbike. For now, I'm leaning toward yes, it makes sense to keep it, but that could change. If I'm only doing 3 to 4 weekends all season, that's alot of time the bike just sits. Tough decision.

Alot to consider. Everything is paid for and all I need is maintenace and tires. The other problem is I'm not a guy who likes to ride sportbike on the street. I like to have a proper streetbike for street riding and keep the race bikes on the track. So going to one bike would be difficult. Thanks for listening and commenting..

ScottG

Southerly;168689 wrote: There may be some adjustments and compromises to make with marriage, but I have no regrets, and if I had to do it over again would marry the same woman. Thirty years gone and looking forward to the next 30.
NoPower;168734 wrote:
VERY COOL STUFF:cool:
I agree.... My wife monitors my posts too!

Southerly

My wife does not monitor my posts!!!

I would have laid it on thicker is she did to try for brownie points towards a track bike.;)

booboo1

If you saw the dedicated track bike I got for 2g's there would be no question. I did get lucky I think. My street bikes each have 1 track day on them. The whole time I knew it was not the right thing for them. Way to pretty which makes me go slow;)

hongthaomurphy

bodell;168593 wrote: What do you want? Transportation or thrill? Get a $1500.00 shitter for the street, use the good one for what it is made for.
i agree although i used to see it the other way around. now, i see putting money into a streetbike as pointless.

dlockhart5x

Because they do not make "street bikes" as cool as this RSW125

828813351_Ywy98_XL_1.sized.jpg

828813158_oYjwJ_XL_1.sized.jpg

828801798_xtxF9_XL_1.sized.jpg

i need to rob several banks $ for a RSW250

fr3sh

I knew i was going to start riding track days this year. So instead of worrying with taping my street bike and then also worrying about trashing it in a turn when ahead and got a track only bike.

TeamBeer

unclepaulie;168736 wrote: Well well, didn't expect so many replies. Thank you!
You sure sparked a lot of passionate responses with your simple question. This is one track addicted group of people!!! :D