Trackday --> Racing

thundertwini

he speaks the truth. I lasted about 2 1/2 years. I will stick to trackdays from now on. Unless someone starts a race club at NJMP, then I may reconsider....

Todd Stinson

Todd Stinson

That article is a little over the top, but not far off from reality. He is right on the money in regards to lap times being fairly irrelevent in a race. They say nothing of a riders ability to pass or block in a race situation. The protective race line often is not the fastest way around the track versus the "qualifying" line that most track day riders run.

Jiggy

Control Rider
Great article.

"Try one of these guys in actual competition and he’ll race you far harder for last place than he ever would for the “win” in an advanced session."

so true....

Landshark

Control Rider
Jiggy;92352 wrote: Great article.

"Try one of these guys in actual competition and he’ll race you far harder for last place than he ever would for the “win” in an advanced session."

so true....
LOL kinda like the mentality of "I'm not only going to beat you but I'm going to make you quit!":third:

rk97

I like the general information in the article, but he lost a lot of credibility for me here: "Unlike racing, the skill level of track day participants runs the full spectrum." (emphasis added)

there are absolutely WERA grids with huge ranges of skill. the fastest 5 guys in my race school would have been LAPPED in the solo 20 the next day (by Dale, Katie, and Justin, if not more people). The slower people in the race school would have been lapped three times. no exaggeration. All are $110 away from being "licensed racers."

And this is just juvenile: "If a guy on a 1098 Ducati with top-shelf Ohlins, Marchesini and Brembo everything smokes past your tired, bone stock old 600, you don’t feel so bad. In racing though, you’re grouped for competition by displacement, level of machine prep and rider experience. Not only has the playing field been leveled but there will be trophies and contingency for the winners. At this point, either you win or you suck."

i guess i plan on sucking a lot next season :rolleyes: (quick, someone quote that before I wise up and edit it.)

Slowninja

Well that just about kills all the dreams i've had since i was a kid. LOL But who am i kidding, i'm a 235 lb guy riding a 10 year old bike, HAHAHA

Jiggy

Control Rider
rk97;92360 wrote: there are absolutely WERA grids with huge ranges of skill. the fastest 5 guys in my race school would have been LAPPED in the solo 20 the next day (by Dale, Katie, and Justin, if not more people). The slower people in the race school would have been lapped three times. no exaggeration. All are $110 away from being "licensed racers."
Justin? Dude, come one now, Justin? Maybe if he had a 12year old kid on a 125 to throw in front of you for the block, then yes he would have lapped you.

"Justin"...hah, that is great.

alphamale

Oh the drama...

Sounds to me like this guy is mad he got schooled by the last NESBA -> to -> Racing success...

:-D

JVance

Interesting read. I can say from my experience it is hard to give a true evaluation of your ability, both riding and financial. I raced for 2 years and am at the place of "what do I do now?". To continue racing = $$$$$, and risk that I don't really have. Novice is fun but with any success you'll be Exp soon. Expert is another level all together. Then there is the National level...New bike with all the goods every 2 yerars if not every year, new tires every race or at the least every race day day...Then you still have to have the skill and be willing to bang bars (literally) every race. Looks like it is back to TD's for me, primalrily at least. But that has lost some of the zest after competition. It is very tempting to borrow your way into seeing if you have what it takes.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Racing is about a great deal more than crossing the line in first place...especially when you aren't getting paid to do it. There are a number of things that influence it and yes, for those asking: the ultimate GOAL is to cross the line first, but there is more to consider.

I walked into it this year, and made the mistake of letting some of these things cloud my head and it ultimately cost me what I firmly believe was a "shot"...it won't happen again.

I'd say this to anyone considering racing: if you have the bug, it is one you should feed even if only for a weekend, season, or run at a championship. It truly is a different experience and if you have ever competed in anything...at all...it will change your perception.

alphamale

I really thought the article was interesting, especially considering the fact that I am thinking about going racing next year. I really wish I actually tried it this year, but I didn't think I was really ready until it was too late.

Once I got bumped to advanced at Beaverun in the first day of a two day weekend, I got this huge rush of mixed emotions. On one hand, I feel like I had finally made it, finally proven that I can master this stuff. On the other hand, even though I knew I had plenty to learn, and plenty of seconds to knock off my time, I didn't have the drive on the 2nd day to push like I had when I was in Intermediate. I felt like I had such a good weekend, that I wanted to quit while I was ahead, and before I destroyed a perfectly good motorcycle. I ended up packing in a little early with a good smile on my face, but not nearly as big as the one when I got bumped from beginner to Intermediate. I figured that this was because I didn't have something to look forward to working towards.

For me, when I was talking to my dad on the long drive home (former NASCAR crewman), he told me that he thinks its probably time for me to go racing, see what I got. I agreed, and ever since I've been planning out what I need to do to go racing next season. I never even imagined that I could "win" let alone not getting my ass handed to me. I constantly question as to whether or not I can make it at the next level. I think we all do that at some time or another. We all crave and desire that NEXT level... That next level of satisfaction...

I guess my point is, I think the disappointment in racing, will be just one part of what will keep me going. How good can winning feel if you've never felt defeat? I felt disappointed when I crashed on my first trackday, but I pushed myself to ride the next day and contemplate the mistakes I had made. I was disappointed that on my first Intermediate day at CMP, that Intermediate didn't seem it was all it's cracked up to be. That's why I wanted to be advanced. And when I finally made it to advanced, I was disappointed in myself when it took two days for me to figure out NJMP rather than being "ready" after the morning of the first day. That disappointment makes the potential for future success all the more EXCITING.

:-D

Landshark

Control Rider
Reading your post showed me you need to set new goals. Learn to dissect a track in just the mornings. Pick a guy you know is faster and make it a goal to be faster and do it the smooth way. If you look around the Advanced group you'll see all sorts of challenges the riders make for themselves as the day goes on. You can now play with things like how far can I push this tire. How tight can I keep my laps. Try the obscure line. ETC

See you on the track!

Jiggy

Control Rider
Landshark;92419 wrote: Reading your post showed me you need to set new goals. Learn to dissect a track in just the mornings. Pick a guy you know is faster and make it a goal to be faster and do it the smooth way. If you look around the Advanced group you'll see all sorts of challenges the riders make for themselves as the day goes on.

See you on the track!
Keep that article in your back pocket Troy, you are racing next year.

alphamale

Landshark;92419 wrote: Reading your post showed me you need to set new goals.
What's wrong with my goals?

Landshark;92419 wrote:
be faster and do it the smooth way.
Is there any other way?

Love your advice, as always Troy, but those two statements irked me a little. :-D

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
alphamale;92411 wrote: I was disappointed that on my first Intermediate day at CMP, that Intermediate didn't seem it was all it's cracked up to be. That's why I wanted to be advanced. And when I finally made it to advanced, I was disappointed in myself when it took two days for me to figure out NJMP rather than being "ready" after the morning of the first day. That disappointment makes the potential for future success all the more EXCITING.

I think as one advances ones skills, things become boring, and just like a relationship, you have to find something that makes it exciting.

Look at Rossi for example, the man is wicked fast, has won a shite load of championships, and now he is getting bored.