tracking drones

djhurayt

What is the ruling regarding somebody wanting to ride with a tracking drone chasing them around the track for aerial view footage?

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I'm not aware of a formal N2 policy, however every track I am aware of has very specific rules prohibiting the use of drones at any time. So I would expect the answer to be no.

On a personal level, I'm not sure I'd want other riders flying drones while I'm riding. Besides being distracting, it is just another thing to be a safety concern.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Short answer: no. Most of the tracks that we ride also have no-drone policies and they're strictly enforced. There are a number of track day orgs also in talks about banning helmet cams (tough to securely mount). Nothing wrong with cams, but when they're falling off, malfunctioning or just serving as a distraction to riding, I believe tracks and orgs will only get tougher on them.

I'm a pretty serious technology guy, but even I contend that many camera devices and riding aids are distractions to riders.

Thanks,

Rob ..

bmart

Control Rider
I can hear the jokes now, "I got beat by a drone!"

latest

djhurayt

Serious question because I don’t no shit about drones. Could they keep up?
Legitimate question. The fastest of the tracking drones that I know of will do about 55mph. So on the longer tracks: probably not. Shorter tracks: possibly but not sure. They tend to be more for slower forward motion events: bicycling, surfing, dirt biking, etc. I have seen them used at a motard track event in the past and it was pretty cool footage.

What I am not sure of is there ability to track you as you pull away until you come back toward the thing. Anybody???

Anyhow, hope I am not asking to many "way out there" questions. I'm really no different than a 6 year old (although I am rapidly approaching 60): why why why how how why why how why...

Motofun352

Control Rider
I have enough on my hands trying to manage 2 dimensions....can you imagine having a swarm of these things around? Hell no. :confused: