Trail braking Advice for NJMP

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
To everyone, it looks like you're at 50% braking at turn in - and letting off till apex in this diagram. . .is this more or less what everyone else is doing? I'm not even close to 50% at turn in and more often than not completely done before the apex. . .
Me neither, not even close, same as you. I just remember the guys at YCRS saying that 1-2% brake for trailing would improve geometry and steering. It's something to work up gradually, methinks. I'm thinking trying to turn in at 50% right off the bat might not be the best plan...

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
This is more about feel than numbers. The more time you spend doing it the better you get at it. Its amazing when it all starts coming together. Everything slows down and yet your going faster.

I can pop the rear wheel in the air at 10mph with a quick jab of the brakes and yet I can apply the brakes at 160mph and barley get a wiggle. Smooth application is part one of the puzzle. Part two is smooth release until apex. Don't get too hung up on numbers. Its a good way to help explain the process, but its the feel from application that will get you doin it efficiently.

motorkas

This is more about feel than numbers. The more time you spend doing it the better you get at it. Its amazing when it all starts coming together. Everything slows down and yet your going faster.

I can pop the rear wheel in the air at 10mph with a quick jab of the brakes and yet I can apply the brakes at 160mph and barley get a wiggle. Smooth application is part one of the puzzle. Part two is smooth release until apex. Don't get too hung up on numbers. Its a good way to help explain the process, but its the feel from application that will get you doin it efficiently.

Thanks brother!!!!!!

That reminds me, what's Tibor's number?

Baszd meg. . . .(take a wild guess. . .you can tell him that as well :)

Me neither, not even close, same as you. I just remember the guys at YCRS saying that 1-2% brake for trailing would improve geometry and steering. It's something to work up gradually, methinks. I'm thinking trying to turn in at 50% right off the bat might not be the best plan...

and the work continues in ELEVEN DAYS!!!!!!!!!!:squid::)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider

Totally agree! And I have a lot more work to do!

Shinobi

Thanks Rob! I'm visualizing NJMP and it looks like I do this exactly as you're saying for the very fast turns only. I'm disjointed for turn 1 and the slow left hander after wheelie hill (5?). I'm guessing because I need more lean angle for those, I'm getting all of my braking done before tip in to avoid losing the front. I'll start with baby steps to come in trailing on those while getting my eyes/reference points fixed as well. THANK YOU!!!

Had a great conversation with Judy & she shared some of the YCRS doctrine. It got me thinking.....At the time I was still riding in the street and started practicing this whole braking "longer & lighter" concept. I'm a rookie to trailing.......I realized I felt I was a good braker cause I could control heavy braking with the rear getting all squirelly. hmmm thats ok I guess, but I started seeing if I could perceive the lightest of braking for a change and realized it made a difference. A difference felt even when turning around a street corner. Those van exercises you can even try them in your car. Loading the front is like a consolidation of mass to a finer point making for easier movement. It's physics, its awesome. Now I just have to commit to taking it to the Apex as Rob said and not get scarred. haha One time I came around t6 tbolt with more speed than I was comfortable with while trailing and froze up on the brakes @ 15% the whole way round the turn lololol I was just waiting to tuck and didn't. That made believe more

A fast guy told me on t5-tbolt he comes round and gets his eyes right on the brake markers(25yards down on the left) for t6 ......all off a sudden a turn I blew almost every time was making much progress. Anyway just wanted to join this very good conversation.

Got off at Lightning t5 bike kinda got rocked (see pic)
y2anusy4.jpg
so my first N2 day is in jeopardy now very disappointing, but bikes not as bad as it looks. Yo Vinny I will keep you posted......long post im at work : ) congrats you read a novel

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

Well as long as you know that it's only the tid bits of entertainment that I have to offer !!! But to all the folks who are in the know that do help us slow guys I as well would like to thank you.

Had a great conversation with Judy & she shared some of the YCRS doctrine. It got me thinking.....At the time I was still riding in the street and started practicing this whole braking "longer & lighter" concept. I'm a rookie to trailing.......I realized I felt I was a good braker cause I could control heavy braking with the rear getting all squirelly. hmmm thats ok I guess, but I started seeing if I could perceive the lightest of braking for a change and realized it made a difference. A difference felt even when turning around a street corner. Those van exercises you can even try them in your car. Loading the front is like a consolidation of mass to a finer point making for easier movement. It's physics, its awesome. Now I just have to commit to taking it to the Apex as Rob said and not get scarred. haha One time I came around t6 tbolt with more speed than I was comfortable with while trailing and froze up on the brakes @ 15% the whole way round the turn lololol I was just waiting to tuck and didn't. That made believe more

A fast guy told me on t5-tbolt he comes round and gets his eyes right on the brake markers(25yards down on the left) for t6 ......all off a sudden a turn I blew almost every time was making much progress. Anyway just wanted to join this very good conversation.

Got off at Lightning t5 bike kinda got rocked (see pic)
y2anusy4.jpg
so my first N2 day is in jeopardy now very disappointing, but bikes not as bad as it looks. Yo Vinny I will keep you posted......long post im at work : ) congrats you read a novel

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint
sent you a pm !!

YCRS

Working on a video with Voiceover for both NJMP Tracks....Here's a teaser showing Scott and I just letting off the brakes for Turn 1.....

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 7.03.23 PM.png

Pseudolus

Working on a video with Voiceover for both NJMP Tracks....Here's a teaser showing Scott and I just letting off the brakes for Turn 1.....

My brother and I were already planning to do the school next year and this just made me look forward to it even more!

:first: To YCRS!!!!