Trailer Accessory Recommendations?

haldavid

Hey guys. I picked up a 6x12 v-nose for this year and am looking for recommended "must have" things.

I put two TRS in and have rubberized helmet hangers.

What do you guys think of e-track versus something like the container store rails?

What do you hang your leathers on?

Any input is welcome, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I put etrack on the wall. They make hooks that clip in and that's what I hang my leathers on. Ensure the track goes into wall studs! I have shelves in the front of my non-v nose for chairs, helmet, gloves, tools, etc. I also have etrack on the floor, leftover from the the pre-TRS era which still comes in handy for securing other items.
Nice raxx are good for holding the stands, but I just sit them on the floor and bungee them to the D-rings the wall.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
A small garage locker is handy for gloves, boots, etc as well. Also, the Home Depot brand wall track (can't remember the name ) and some small hooks is a great and easy way to store stands. Oh and some bins with a few screws holding them down is an easy catch-all in a pinch.

I'd take a walk around the paddock to get some ideas. Other people have some fairly ingenious setups.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
The TRS is probably the most important and best step you took. Tie-down straps make a lot of un-useable space. I could only fit two bikes in my toy hauler's rear before them accouting for anchor points, etc. With them, 3 wide with room to walk between the bikes.

Those are the greatest.

haldavid

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I do have a locker type cabinet that should work for boots/gloves etc.

The front of my vnose has just one stud per section (of the angled piece), so that kind of makes e-track a no go for that section, I guess.

I ordered a Nice Raxx for the front stand, but I have a Ducati and I cannot for the life of me find anyone with the Nice Raxx specifically for the one-armed rear pit bull stand. Anyone have any leads on that?

andykurz

Probably not a good idea. Usually the studs are pretty narrow such that you would only be using holes on one side of the etrack to mount. The only way I think it would work is if you lined your interior walls with thicker plywood and then mounted the etrack to that.

Usually just mounting a high and low horizontal etrack is enough for almost any combination that you need.

Last tip, self tapping sheet metal screws are great for mounting to trailer studs, but make sure you get ones that aren't long enough to poke through your trailer and out through the exterior sheet metal.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Totally agree with this! The metal vertical studs are relatively sturdy, but are certainly not intended to support vertical E-Track. They have no reinforcing struts and are usually only attached to the inner and outer skin except for at the top and the bottom. Mounting E-Track horizontally effectively "ties" struts together and is far less likely to over-stress the struts. Using self tapping hex head screws with two per strut on horizontal E-Track makes for a pretty solid mounting platform. It's rare that anything longer than 3/4" screws will be appropriate, but you can determine length yourself by backing out the screws along one seam, pulling the interior skin away from the strut, and just measuring depth. Also remember that self tapping screws do not mean self DRILLING screws. Two cordless drivers/drills make this process very easy. One with a small bit for the pilot hole, and one with a socket driver to put the self tapping screw in. Finally, make sure you work from one end to the other when putting the screws in. Both the E-Track and the wall of that trailer can flex..... You don't want a bow in your trailer wall.

Grab a roll of painters tape, and walk around "configuring" your trailer by using the tape on walls and floors marking the position of how you'd optimally like it laid out. Then use horizontal E-Track where appropriate, as well as E-Track on the floor. When you're done, walk away from it for a bit, then come back and review. You'll almost certainly find that you can use more E-Track mounting points than you initially pick out.

If you have a second set of hands to help hold E-Track sections, you'll find it goes EXTREMELY fast. The hard part is figuring out where you want it to go. Once that is done, actually mounting E-Track is really fast. It usually takes me no more than an hour to do a 24 foot or 30 foot trailer. And every time I've done a trailer for either myself or somebody else, later we decide we could have done it a little better in terms of layout. Just the nature of the beast.

Probably not a good idea. Usually the studs are pretty narrow such that you would only be using holes on one side of the etrack to mount. The only way I think it would work is if you lined your interior walls with thicker plywood and then mounted the etrack to that.

Usually just mounting a high and low horizontal etrack is enough for almost any combination that you need.

Last tip, self tapping sheet metal screws are great for mounting to trailer studs, but make sure you get ones that aren't long enough to poke through your trailer and out through the exterior sheet metal.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I will add that the trailer place did install some verical etrack on the walls in the front of my trailer (I did the horizontal later). The veritical etrack in the front is used with brackets that hold square pipes, to which shelves rest upon. Again, the trailer place made the shelves. No issues after 13 yrs.
I found the horizontal more useful for hanging things on the wall.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
That makes sense, in that the front wall of the trailer is the most rigid of all the walls (except the rear ramp). It is structurally the strongest. The side walls are the weakest, I'm really not sure how strong the front of a V-Nose trailer really is. I'm sure that the horizontal that you added strengthened your setup. Also, if those "square pipes" are fixed solidly in the brackets, you're to some extent tying the two verticals together. I know I'm a bit nit-picky so I'm sure you can get away with a lot more - that being the case, I personally would still not use vertical E-Track on one of the vertical studs without at a minimum reinforcing by adding some horizontal reinforcement. For hanging helmets or things that are really light I'm sure it would be absolutely fine. For heavier things, like maybe a couple sets of leathers, etc, I'm staying with making sure that there's a little more behind there.

I also agree that the horizontal is more useful anyway. Two rails of horizontal track above each other (one low, one higher) to me gives a lot more flexibility. Of course, I think it would be nice to have the entire walls made of mounting points! This stuff is like crack. The more you have, the more you want :)

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
7x16
I just use containers to put stuff in. One row of etrack @ 18" on each side and strap everything to them so they won't slide around. This works well too with my small upright rolling tool box. Two smaller rows up high, above the height of the bikes, to span two platforms across for a queen size air mattress. High enough so I don't have to unload anything when I show up the night before and it happens to be raining or really late etc. (Note: I bought this one new and ordered it 6" taller inside then normal). I also built a kitchenette up in the vnose. Fridge, gas cooktop, a couple of drawers and plenty of cabinet space "everything but the kitchen sink".image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

haldavid

Lots of really great ideas in here, thank you all!

I ordered 6 5' pieces of horizontal e track for the sides and a box of 10 "single bay" e track mounts (they have two vertically oriented mounting holes, so it should work for the single strut) for the v-nose section just to see how that works out.