trailer brake controller Q.

ridelater

I have a 2003 chevy 2500hd w/ the trailer package. So when i but one of these devices does it just plugin and go or does it have to be wired in. Is in easy done or don't mess with it and have a shop do it?

SimplyRed

When you buy a brake controller such as the Teknosha Prodigy, you can get a wiring harness w/connector specific for your truck that you can just plug-in. If you have the Trailer pkg, check underneath your dashboard (usually on driver side) for a pre-wired connector that mates up to the wiring harness connector. If you don't have one, you'll need to do a little wiring first.

Tekonsha Prodigy Controller
prodigy-lg.jpg

Wiring Harness for Chevy Silverado, et al
3025-gmwireharn.jpg

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
SimplyRed;50745 wrote: When you buy a brake controller such as the Teknosha Prodigy, you can get a wiring harness w/connector specific for your truck that you can just plug-in. If you have the Trailer pkg, check underneath your dashboard (usually on driver side) for a pre-wired connector that mates up to the wiring harness connector. If you don't have one, you'll need to do a little wiring first.

Tekonsha Prodigy Controller
prodigy-lg.jpg

Wiring Harness for Chevy Silverado, et al
3025-gmwireharn.jpg
This is correct!
But if you don't have a quick connect plug under the dash you'll dig under there and find the BLUE wire, this is to the electric brakes on the trailer plug, and splice it to the BLUE wire on the controller.
The RED wire is your power and the BLACK wire is the GROUND. You'll want to connect the RED wire to a 12V power supply when you have the ignition in ACC or ON position. The WHITE wire is for your brake lights! Its pretty easy, even I could do it!:notsure:

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I've got that Prodigy brake controller and it's friggin awesome. Self-leveling, has the lever to use as a trolley brake, and the best thing of all is it has an accelerometer in it so it senses how quickly you're trying to stop and applies proportionate voltage to the brakes.

My truck (06 F150) didn't come with a tow package, but still had the plug underneath the dash and wiring run back. Just had to splice in the plug by the hitch, and done.

physicistkev

Control Rider
My 2000 Chevy 1500 had the tow package. It has the quick connector and came with a nice cable, that is still in my glove box ;)

Smiley

ninjamansc;50772 wrote: i've got that prodigy brake controller and it's friggin awesome. Self-leveling, has the lever to use as a trolley brake, and the best thing of all is it has an accelerometer in it so it senses how quickly you're trying to stop and applies proportionate voltage to the brakes.

My truck (06 f150) didn't come with a tow package, but still had the plug underneath the dash and wiring run back. Just had to splice in the plug by the hitch, and done.
+1 :d