Trailer camping

jfeagin

So I scored a really good deal on an enclosed trailer. 6x10 v-nose w/diamond plate, etc. Used, but only just barely. Now I'm looking at all the trailer threads, but there's one thing I can't find. What do you use for sleeping in the thing?

I've thought about a cot. The made-for-it trailer beds are too spendy. Anybody got a good DIY solution?

stkr

I got some of the interlocking 2'x2' exercise mats from Sam's. I unload the trailer at the track, pull the d-rings out of the e-track, and lay down a 2x3 piece section of matting over the e-track. I put the air mattress on the matting and a sleeping bag and pillow on top of that. This is across the trailer by the ramp, but mine is a 7x14.

The matting keeps the e-track bolts from puncturing the air mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave561

Control Rider
I made my own for the little trailer. You'll need a 4x8 sheet of plywood, a piano hinge, 3 pieces of threaded pipe and a 2x4. Plus the extra plywood makes a nice shelf. I then laid a 3" thick excercise pad on top. Here's a pic to illustrate.

photo-20110424-081442.jpg

jfeagin

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Good stuff!

angel;210522 wrote: i saw a guy fabricated some fold down beds attached to the sides on the inside of the trailer. even mounted a small A/C unit to the damn thing. http://www.blazinbelltech.com/furniture.html#
Yeah, that's the spendy route. Cool, but more than I can afford right now.

slow_honda;210534 wrote:
I made my own for the little trailer. You'll need a 4x8 sheet of plywood, a piano hinge, 3 pieces of threaded pipe and a 2x4. Plus the extra plywood makes a nice shelf. I then laid a 3" thick excercise pad on top. Here's a pic to illustrate.
I like this rig. Might be too lazy to do it once I get it painted and all the other stuff mounted, etc. Has "winter project" written all over it.

Choices! Choices!! :notsure:

rk97

1 word: Aerobed.

I had the world's smallest bedroom in college, so I used an aerobed to save space. slept on it every night for a year, and it only finally developed a leak a couple years later, after i'd graduated (and continued to use it while camping)

The $130 or whatever they cost is a lot for an air mattress, but the quality is worth it. They do require AC power, but they inflate in less than 60 seconds, so you probably wouldn't even need a generator, unless your pit neighbors are particularly stingy w/ their generator juice. The pump is totally integrated, so it doesn't lose air when you try to 'cap' the inflation opening. Really great design when I got mine in 2002(?), and I know they've only gotten better since then.

the biggest advantages I see w/ the aerobed are that it's light, compact, and portable. So you can use it for house guests, or in other non-trailer situations. It's honestly good enough that I wouldn't feel bad putting guests on it. Plenty firm, and you can add or remove air while you're laying on it.

apex..addict

I just bought a 6 x 10 v nose enclosed too lol Right now im gutting it and insulating it but i found a thread on thumpertalk.com under enclosed trailer setup that has some awesome ideas! Check it out :)

noobinacan

apex..addict;211296 wrote: I just bought a 6 x 10 v nose enclosed too lol Right now im gutting it and insulating it but i found a thread on thumpertalk.com under enclosed trailer setup that has some awesome ideas! Check it out :)
wow some of those are really nice setups. very clean too.
innovative stuff for sure.

TheGrouch

$12 air mattress from Walmart. Takes up zero room when deflated and fits in my tent for backyard camping with my son.

rk97

TheGrouch;211315 wrote: $12 air mattress from Walmart. Takes up zero room when deflated and fits in my tent for backyard camping with my son.
if anyone goes that route, just buy 2 or 3 off the bat... They're not a bad value, but it really really sucks to get to go to sleep on your $12 air mattress and wake up an hour later on the ground. A spare is cheap insurance.

stkr

rk97;211320 wrote: if anyone goes that route, just buy 2 or 3 off the bat... They're not a bad value, but it really really sucks to get to go to sleep on your $12 air mattress and wake up an hour later on the ground. A spare is cheap insurance.
Like I mentioned above... I got some of these foam mats at Sam's Club (8 for ~$20) and lay them down under the air mattress. No punctures, and they store easily just like the air mattress. They're also reversible, so you can just go with the gray floor. ;)

http://www.softnsafefloors.com/page%203.htm

jfeagin

Well, after looking at all these great ideas, my very full calendar and my terribly sad wallet, I'm going to go with the cot option for now. Thinking about the last time I slept on the floor or the ground and realizing I'm not as young as I used to was. Where in the heck did that time go? :dunno:

Anyway. Have any of you ever installed a roof vent on a trailer that didn't have one? Looks easy enough in videos I've found.

eE jeremy

i've had 3 inflateable matresses each progressively more expensive and I always wake up on the fucking ground...

beac83

I use a camping air pad. It's about an inch and a half think, just enough to provide some cushion. It's self-inflating and rolls up into a nylon bag for storage. got it at REI. In cool months, I use a sleeping bag. In warm months, I use a light blanket folded in half.

noobinacan

eE jeremy;211402 wrote: i've had 3 inflateable matresses each progressively more expensive and I always wake up on the fucking ground...
lol

:D

jfeagin;211392 wrote:
Well, after looking at all these great ideas, my very full calendar and my terribly sad wallet, I'm going to go with the cot option for now. Thinking about the last time I slept on the floor or the ground and realizing I'm not as young as I used to was. Where in the heck did that time go? :dunno:

Anyway. Have any of you ever installed a roof vent on a trailer that didn't have one? Looks easy enough in videos I've found.
given that REI has 30% sale on folding camping stuff i just upgraded to this
its way lighter...and comfy

http://www.rei.com/product/378067/camp-time-roll-a-cot

the weight savings has now enabled me to pickup a 4foot folding table :)

dbakerpa

I got an inflatable full size with its own pump. I put a table on a hinge and a small cabinet. A shelf with built in microwave and coffee maker. I decked the V part for storage and to make a seat. House AC with an exterior access door in the front of the deck. I pop out the front chock and roll out the carpet. I also put high density reflective coating on the roof and unsulated the walls / ceiling with the silver board. .