Trailer locks?

RADAR Magnet

I recently stepped up bought a 6x12 trailer so I can more comfortably satisfy my burgeoning trackday addiction. I have a place to store it but it's not completely secure; am thinking of getting a wheel lock and/or a coupler lock. If anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
RADAR Magnet;168942 wrote: I recently stepped up bought a 6x12 trailer so I can more comfortably satisfy my burgeoning trackday addiction. I have a place to store it but it's not completely secure; am thinking of getting a wheel lock and/or a coupler lock. If anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Congrats on the trailer! I have one as well and store in a lot down the street, but it is relatively secure and there are cameras. Definitely get a coupler lock for it, and spray wd-40 in the keyhole. Spray the door locks as well. Make sure you have theft insurance for your trailer, bikes and contents. I think the trailer is covered on my auto insurance as a tow vehicle, but you should call your agent. I have separate theft on the bikes, which was not that expensive. Taking a quick video of all the contents just in case it is stolen may not be a bad idea. I know I would not remember everything that is in there. May want to consider unloading your bike(s) between days if you have a garage.

Also, if you can avoid putting a bunch of stickers on it advertising the contents that would certainly help you keep a low profile as well as not unloading your stuff in the lot.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Ditto on what Jim said. Definitely get a coupler lock. On the road, I'll run a cable lock through one of the wheel holes to the frame. It's one of these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-SureLok-Retractable-Cable-Locking-System/15125833

I have a 7x12, and store it in the lot of a self-storage place. My HOA won't let me keep it at the house. It's only $35/month, and to me is worth it because they have high fences and cameras. If you're worried about the security, maybe you could find a similar place for winter.

Unless your sponsorship deal requires stickers on the trailer, keep it blank. Stickers are cool and all, but it's pretty much telling potential thieves to hit yours first.

RADAR Magnet

Thanks guys. There are a couple of stickers from the previous owner; I'll be picking them away as the weather warms up. I also checked some self-storage lots but the going rate in my area starts at $100/mo and goes up from there; ridonkulous! I'll get some locks and check on the insurance overage. Thanks again.

geekmug

ninjamansc;169041 wrote: Ditto on what Jim said. Definitely get a coupler lock. On the road, I'll run a cable lock through one of the wheel holes to the frame. It's one of these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-SureLok-Retractable-Cable-Locking-System/15125833
Do you mean the wheels on the trailer? I used to run a slightly thicker gauge cable through a wheel to the frame, as well. But, one day I forgot I hadn't removed that and drove away. The end of the cable easily slipped out of the crimped joint at one end. I would say that the cable might have a nice placebo effect, but if you have steel wheels and a steel frame, the weakest link the system is the cable, and a truck driving way with your trailer can easily apply enough force to rip it loose.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Yeah, I know it's not too beefy. It's just more for show. If somebody really wants to steal a trailer, there's really no way to stop it. Just trying to ward off the 'smash-and-grab' types.

dbakerpa

I ran a galvanized pipe through both wheels. I welded a metal T on one side and a large heavy bolt lock through a hole on the other. It can be stolen but it would take a couple good blades and alot of patience. Two things most thieves dont carry with them.

noobinacan

so I'm starting to think, the best security is insurance on trailer and its contents...
and do the usual coupler lock or remove one of the wheels to deter theft ?

fitz

Just an FYI "security" cameras don't accomplish ANYTHING, I've had stuff stolen and have heard reports of other people having their stuff stolen right in front of cameras and they have never stopped or helped getting anyone’s stuff back.

As for the trailer there isn't much you can do to stop a determined thief, if it's a trailer that's sitting in one spot for a period of time they will simply case it and bring what they need. All you can do is put as many locks on as you can in the hope they move on and pick an easier target. I use the coupler lock but they could still just unbolt the coupler and use another one. I also use the cable through wheel and frame, but like the others have mentioned it would probably break or they could just drag it down the road, lol.

Just make sure it's insured, if your home owner’s doesn't cover it, I would think it would be pretty cheap, A LOT cheaper than $100 a month.

my .00002

fitz

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I have a lock on the coupler, one that holds the latch down instead of a pin, so if I stop on the road it's locked to the truck, looks something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=trailer+coupler+locks&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2084770780348284087&sa=X&ei=nPePT_akH4Tk0QHL0eWXBQ&ved=0CJIBEPMCMAI#.

In addition, when the trailer is parked unhitched, I have a Gorilla coupler lock. Looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-74319-Gorilla-Coupler/dp/B0008FUHA0

They do make "boots" for the wheel, but in many cases (well, at least mine) the hubs on the wheels stick out too much for it to fit over. If you use a chain to lock a wheel to the frame or other stationary object, put a locking lug nut on the wheel.

The locks on the doors have a metal covering over the shackle, so it would be really hard to cut them. I was amazed at how easily and quickly bolt cutters worked on "extra strong cut resistant, pick-proof" padlocks. Yes, I forgot my keys. Once. The locks I have now I doubt I could cut. (Not that someone with better tools couldn't).

matt2212

noobinacan;238812 wrote: so I'm starting to think, the best security is insurance on trailer and its contents...
and do the usual coupler lock or remove one of the wheels to deter theft ?
I keep full coverage on my track bike because progressive covers the trailer as an attachment to the policy for $35 extra a YEAR. The bike and trailer are covered for theft, fire and accident for almost nothing

But get a coupler lock, also if your hitch has a removable coupler and you are staying overnight get a locking pin

I think a pile of locks grabs the attention of thieves and make you more of a target

I am a firm believer locks are for honest people get insurance

noobinacan

matt2212;238817 wrote: I keep full coverage on my track bike because progressive covers the trailer as an attachment to the policy for $35 extra a YEAR. The bike and trailer are covered for theft, fire and accident for almost nothing

thanks for the info folks
How did you get that ? Progressive told me they won't cover the bike at all if it isn't tagged.
and they won't give me a trailer quote either...saying they don't cover trailers for theft or vandalism.

matt2212

noobinacan;238835 wrote: thanks for the info folks
How did you get that ? Progressive told me they won't cover the bike at all if it isn't tagged.
and they won't give me a trailer quote either...saying they don't cover trailers for theft or vandalism.
I never changed my polocy from when it was a streetbike, so.... it was only availabe if i maintained full coverage on my bike to attach the polocy to

not sure if that helps but, its what i got. i even increased my coverage with them when i upgraded trailers.

JohnS

On the coupler I have a Gorilla coupler lock like Judy and I also have a pad lock going throught the coupler lever.

For the side door and ramp door I use Master Lock Magnum 3-1/8" Shrouded Disc Lock
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202260769/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=locks&storeId=10051For

The stuff inside my trailer except for the bike it is covered by my renters insurance.

I have Comprehensive insurance on the trailer which is fire, theft or if anything happens to it not caused by me, like a tree falling on it, this is with a 500 deductable for $30 a year.

When the bike was a trackbike it was not covered but now I put it back to street and I only carry Liability as it is a 2003.

Buckeye96

Don't get the masterlock trailer locks, they are garbage.
If you are really worried about stuff getting stolen, you could look into installing an alarm on the doors of the trailer.

jamespierce68

Trailer locks

Me and another NESBA member have been toying around with these. I have a fab shop and have made these out of steel. These have been powder coated and the ends dipped in a rubber compound to protect the trailer finish.

noobinacan

jamespierce68;239017 wrote: Me and another NESBA member have been toying around with these. I have a fab shop and have made these out of steel. These have been powder coated and the ends dipped in a rubber compound to protect the trailer finish.
sorry don't get it..how does that work ?

matt2212

noobinacan;239079 wrote: sorry don't get it..how does that work ?
i think it keeps people from getting to the lock with a bolt cutter, torch or saw.

do you know how quick it is to cut through the side of the trailer with a battery powered sawzall?? the lock could be behind 6 layers of steel if they want in it is done in under 3 minutes. The sides of these things are paper thin sheet metal with 3/8" plywood inside at best.

Ask any contractor about leaving tools in one at job sites they will tell you that anything you do is only for "Honest" people. If they have the opportunity and desire anyone can be in or out in under 5 min with a truck load of you stuff:(