Trailer Question

stephenjpauls

All,

I'm from po-dunk Green Bay, Wisconsin where we don't have to register small trailers (I have a harbor freight el-cheepo). I plan on doing a day in Ohio and wanted to find out if anyone knew if I had to register my trailer before I took a trip through IL, IN, and OH.

Thanks,
Steve

Matt

IL and IN seem to require their residents to register trailers.. OH, not sure.

WI doesn't require registration on single axle trailers but it is available and it's cheap from what I remember.

I don't have a plate for my trailer and I've never had a problem. Taken it to Putnam, Grattan, Gingerman, BHF, Road America and Road Atlanta.

stephenjpauls

Thanks for the reply Matt, I'll look at getting it registered. I hope you and Lynda are doing well. Hope to see you in April.

ridngsxrs

Hey Stephen, I noticed you're from GB. I've lived there all my life and just moved to Neenah last summer.

I've been pulled over in IN while pulling an enclosed trailer. After he pulled me over, I know he looked at the trailer, than looked at my WI truck plate. He realized I'm out of state, in which WI does not require trailer registration (under a certain size and gross weight) and didn't bother. The Indiana cop pulled me over because of my window tint. I'm sure it's safe to assume if you're an out of state resident, trailer registration isn't required as long as you're traveling through. Sort of like a fellow Marinette County Sheriff told me that residents of Michigan doesn't need front license plates, and when they're traveling in WI (which requires two plates) he could care less. But..on a different subject, I think Michigan requires motorcyclists to wear helmets regardless of state residency.

I just play it safe, don't speed (gas mileage with a 12ft+ trailer sucks at 90mph), and just play dumb. :)

RCR_531

We went to Barber last year pulling a 35 foot long fifth with no plates. I couldn't believe we never got pulled over but it was brand new.

stephenjpauls

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I'm going to check how much it is to register it... if its only a few bucks, then I'll do it. Otherwise it sounds like I should be fine without it.

Blaise

Wow... your state doesn't even require a plate?

PA is a huge pain (need to apply for a title, take photos, have a mechanic sign off on it, wait 6-8 weeks, then pay for the plate), but in NJ they just need $22/year for a plate. It really surprises me that your state doesn't even require a plate... are you certain?

stephenjpauls

Blaise;37721 wrote: Wow... your state doesn't even require a plate?

PA is a huge pain (need to apply for a title, take photos, have a mechanic sign off on it, wait 6-8 weeks, then pay for the plate), but in NJ they just need $22/year for a plate. It really surprises me that your state doesn't even require a plate... are you certain?
Yes I'm certain... Up in the northern parts of WI (where I'm at) you don't even have to have your car inspected... just pay registration fees and go.

GBCBR

I do not have a license plate on either of my trailers. I get lots of looks in Michigan pulling my boat (I still register it in Michigan with Michigan lettering even though I have not lived there since 1998) and no trailer license plate.

This also allows a nice way to drive through Illinois (IPass) free of charge. Just take off your Wisconsin truck/car front license plate....and no camera can catch you! I have not done this....but I know people who do this to save $4.00!!?

Wisconsin also does not require insurance. Many sportbike kids have no insurance. Back in Michigan I could not afford the insurance at $2500 per year...which is required. Now my insurance is $187 a year in Wisconsin.

BonesDT

Get it registered in Maine. You don't even need to know how to spell the state.

mbi-trailers.com/register